Thinking about getting a PS3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No good games out to justify me buying PS3 right now. When Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resident Evil 5 come out, then it would be worth it. Right now it isn't.

I'm the same way....I'm waiting for God of War III then I'll get the PS3...for now my PS2 is just fine. I'm not going XBox 360 or Wii....I'd NEVER leave the house if I had all those consoles to play on. :lol

if you really want one get it. i recommend trying to find a 60gb version that unfortunately is no longer produced. the 40gb has no backwards functions, less USB / card reader ports.

the 80gb is great, but backwards functions are limited because they are done through firmware updates and downloads. other than that nothing wrong with it.

the 60 is perfect because it has all the ports/ readers as the 80gb.... and backwards functions are universal because it has a PS2 chip built onto the motherboard so every PS1, PS2 game works from the moment its powered up. it has less hard drive space, but in less than 5 minutes you can solve that with a simple upgrade procedure.

I agree... I have the 60Gig and am very happy on all points.

You can't go wrong. Not to mention it's the best Blu-ray player on the market.

If you had to buy one,

Strong recommendation is getting a 60 GB PS3, refurbished, if necessary.

40 GB has weak to 0 backwards compatibility.

80 GB is software only, with limited backwards compatibility.

60 GB, which you can change out the HD to a larger sized one from Best Buy, etc, is hardware backwards compatibility.

Reason Sony pulled it is because they wanted gamers to buy new games, and not rely on the existing PS2 games. Bad business.

As it is, the only reason I would get a PS3 is for a Blu-ray player, should Blu-Ray actually win. I'm happy with the Xbox 360 w/ HD and the Wii. If the eventual new laptoip I get will have a blu-ray player, no PS3 needed.

I have the 60GB PS3 and I love it.

Blu-ray is worth it alone.

There will be some really good games on the way, remember PS2 started out the same way...

:cool:

Nope, it doesn't have any HD cables, so if you want to use HDMI or Component HD then you'll have to buy the cables separately.

Every time I'd been to Target, they have GE Brand HDMI cables for $26, versus the $60 cables... eh. i know there's probably some difference, but i'm not too concerned about it.

Oh, and as for the "5 Free Blu-Ray Disc offer", HD has it too, and you can take advantage with the HD DVD player.

It sucks because the Marvel movies are split between both players.

And Pirates OTC are on Blu-Ray only.
But then again, Transformers are HD only.

In 2005, Variety reported that Marvel themselves will start producing films with Paramount Pictures distributing them. The funding will come from a seven year $525 million revolving credit facility with Merill Lynch. Since the announcement, Marvel's film slate has expanded to include:

Iron Man (2008) - Completed principal photography; May 2, 2008 release[1]
The Incredible Hulk (2008) - Distributed by Universal Studios - Commenced principal photography; June 13, 2008 release[1]
Ant-Man (2009) - Writers Edgar Wright & Joe Cornish and Director Edgar Wright engaged[1]
Captain America (2009) - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - Writer David Self engaged[1]
Nick Fury (2010) - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - Writer Andrew Marlowe engaged [1]
Thor (2009) - Writer Mark Protosevich engaged[1] Matthew Vaughn was negotiated with to direct in 2007.[2]
The Avengers (2011) - Distributed by Paramount Pictures - Writer Zak Penn engaged[1]
Black Panther - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Dr.Strange - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Hawkeye - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Shang-Chi - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Cloak and Dagger - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Power Pack - Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Iron Fist
Luke Cage

hrm.

Major Pro here. The most un talked about game this year. Drakes Fortune! The system is almost worth that game. Play it an love it! :D

Kain, I know I already gave you my opinion while we were playing LIVE, but I'll say it again, I love my PS3! As a Blu-Ray player it's awesome and more and more good games are coming. Right now you could get Heavenly Sword, Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank: TOD, Resistance, and Unreal Tournament 3 will be out next month! :rock

Be sure to check out Best Buy for the free Blu-Ray deals when you get ready to buy it.

Bought a 80gig PS3 last weekend during the Walmart Secret Saturday sale and I can say I am pretty impressed with it so far, it matches up great with my Sony Bravia 1080p 42 LCD and with the 10 free Blue Rays, I've been very happy.

Don't play any console games, strictly a PC game player so can't speak about the game playing at all but my wife plays Final Fantasy games so who knows.

It upscales better then my previous DVD player, looks decent in my under TV rack system, its not to loud and so far I've been able to live with using the wireless remote for dvd control.

Evan

PS3 is awesome, the 60GB version is the only way to go, for what only a $100 bucks more than the silly 40GB?

I guess if you like having to purchase a costly insurance plan, then go with the Xbox360 as you'll likely be using it sometime soon after purchase. :lol

I have a PS3.........was a bit slow to get off the ground, but now the games are starting to come out pretty quickly. Won't be disappointed.

I purchased a 60 GB PS3 about a month ago, primarily for the Blu-Ray player and the backwards compatability (to continue to play my favorite PS2 game, SW Bounty Hunter).

Very quiet, and it's nice to know you don't have to worry about it breaking down on you.

I only have one game for it Gundam Crossfire (sucks big time), but hoping to pick up Resistance soon.

Btw, does anyone have any info/links to those "Buy a PS3, and get 5 free movies" rebate offers?

I purchased a 60 GB PS3 about a month ago, primarily for the Blu-Ray player and the backwards compatability (to continue to play my favorite PS2 game, SW Bounty Hunter).

Very quiet, and it's nice to know you don't have to worry about it breaking down on you.

I only have one game for it Gundam Crossfire (sucks big time), but hoping to pick up Resistance soon.

Btw, does anyone have any info/links to those "Buy a PS3, and get 5 free movies" rebate offers?

Go to the wal mart site and click on a PS3 console and there is a printable coupon for the movies.

Been looking for a good deal on a PS3 if anyone knows of any store's that has one on them let me know.

you still have your receipt right??? i was dumb and threw mine away before realizing i needed it. you go to either wal mart or gamestop and download the rebate form, check the movies you want, mail away the form and receipt... then just wait for the movies to come in. (you also need the UPC on the box)

I've been so close to picking one up for Blu-Ray so many times now. The thought of Spider-Man 1 & 2 in high definition is almost enough to get me to take the plunge, but I'll probably end up waiting until Little Big Planet or God of War 3 comes out before PS3 joins my 360 and Wii. That said, had I known about the Wal-Mart deal last weekend I'd be watching a Blu-Ray movie (or 10) right about now...

Go to the wal mart site and click on a PS3 console and there is a printable coupon for the movies.

Thanks guys. Downloaded the form.

Been looking for a good deal on a PS3 if anyone knows of any store's that has one on them let me know.

Not sure how accurate this is, but a member over at www.highdefdigest.com posted that Wal*Mart will be a offering a $50 gift card with purchase of a 40 GB PS3 this weekend, starting Friday.

Back