Things I Hate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The word 'sick' being used to express enthusiasm for something......why? How does that come about?

The English language must be confusing as hell for someone to learn.

''A new NECA John McClane would be sick!'' So to someone who doesn't know better that's gonna read as - a new NECA John McClane would be ill/unwell or a new NECA John McClane would be morally depraved. Huh?

I think there's something juvenile about its use in this way, this stupid, pointless inversion of meaning.

Last edited:
I think it's common for people to use negative words as good words, that change meaning over time because of slang. Look at the word "terrific."

Holy crap, you're right.

Origin of terrific
1660–70; < Latin terrificus frightening, equivalent to terr(ēre ) to frighten

And as far as current meanings

adjective

1 extraordinarily great or intense:
terrific speed.

2 extremely good; wonderful:
a terrific vacation.

3 causing terror; terrifying

These are downright contradictory.

I have to say this one never even occurred to me. I've never used that word for context number 3 or even seen it used that way that I can recall.

Wow, thats not a new thing. “Sick” was used quite often back in the 80’s
Now, “Triggered” that fairly new.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Some fool brought it back then.

'Triggered' makes more sense

verb (used with object)

to initiate or precipitate (a chain of events, scientific reaction, psychological process, etc.):
Their small protest triggered a mass demonstration.

What's new there is it has become a meme used in the culture wars of right VS left

Some fool brought it back then.

'Triggered' makes more sense

What's new there is it has become a meme used in the culture wars of right VS left

What hasn’t these days!?!!

On that note, the Internet itself os pissing me off lately.

Every site I visit is buried in targeted AD’s , nonsense click bait , and obvious social media wars static.

I think the internet is rapidly becoming useless to those who want pure information. Every site had a slant or agenda these days....

I miss the 1990 internet.

What hasn’t these days!?!!

On that note, the Internet itself os pissing me off lately.

Every site I visit is buried in targeted AD’s , nonsense click bait , and obvious social media wars static.

I think the internet is rapidly becoming useless to those who want pure information. Every site had a slant or agenda these days....

I miss the 1990 internet.

Exactly. Even this board about men collecting dollies is constantly bombarded with culture war stuff that I'm sick of, that devolved basically into "Trump vs the rest of the world." I don't even support Trump, but it's just plain exhausting. You can't escape the Orange Man Bad garbage ANYWHERE.

Exactly. Even this board about men collecting dollies is constantly bombarded with culture war stuff that I'm sick of, that devolved basically into "Trump vs the rest of the world." I don't even support Trump, but it's just plain exhausting. You can't escape the Orange Man Bad garbage ANYWHERE.

You took a quote with no reference to Trump and turned it into a rant about culture wars?

You took a quote with no reference to Trump and turned it into a rant about culture wars?

I was responding to the part that said "every site has a slant or an agenda"

Most site, even toy and music and TV shows, have an agenda these days, and that's pushing the Orange Man bad stuff.

It's boring.

That and this....

There are hardly any news sites left anymore that do not try click bait nonsense all over the pages....

And weather pages....

And shopping pages...

bc6f61771f50b8883aaf9d8690775970.jpg

Up speak....are young women no aware they are doing it? Its drives me batty.

Back