The Winston Effect?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is very cool in the review section.

16 years ago as an art student I was studying special effect make up, I had difficulty with an appliance I had an exam due, worried I rang Stan Winston Studio hoping to speak to a technician. Someone answered the phone and asked if they could help, I explained my predicament, for ten minutes I had the technician explain the process and a couple of tips. Really helpful guy so I asked for his name to write and say thanks, He just said Stan, I nearly fell over. My hero talking to me like a friend and helping some poor student.

This book represents this man and his work, community he created and his strengths and weaknesses. This is not a book that reads as a infomercial, it is a history warts and all of a fine art studio. Its explains why he would talk to a young student for nearly half an hour

I could not put this book down.

Last June Stan left us, this book stands as a testament to a great artist.

I thoroughly recommend this book for students, and film connoisseurs this is a valuable tome for any technicians library.

many thanks to everyone here mine arrived today number 0355 :)

My night lamp broke, so it's a slower read then it was supposed to be, as I usually read before sleep..
I'm currently reading trough second chapter, Terminator period :p

Loving the book!

This showed up at my door today via AMAZON and all i can say is best $37.00 i've ever spent.

Signed by the man, THE BEST Stan Winston Studios pics i've ever seen (i don't like to read, so this is big for me)

I'm thinking about picking up more for my dad, brothers, cousins, and uncles.

If you're a fan of Stan the Man ... do yourself a favor and BUY THIS BOOK.

Last edited:
i just noticed the fold out inbetween pages 304 & 305...that alone is worth $37.00

It's a picture the STAN WINSTON STUDIOS display of the lifesize monsters all lined up. WHAT AN AMAZING LINEUP.

It's a shame because they were all auctioned off not too long ago.

You should read it....even if you don't like to read, trust me......this book tells incredible story, not only of Stan Winston, but people who worked with him and some of the best movies ever made.

I strongly suggest you to read it!

You got the signed version for $37?! :horror I think I paid that for the standard. :(

There is a really kool book wayyyy before the Winstone Effect
ive had it for like 15 years. it has really kool pics and back story to the effects artists. i still saw it for sale on amazon i think.
2mphe85.jpg

5kirtz.jpg

I didnt even know this book existed before I found this thread. Anyway, I ordered the signed edition from amazon.ca should be here in a couple days. I cant believe a hand signed book by Stan is only going for $30 AND its in stock:confused:...

Chris

Have recently gotten into the Art of Film books and this also looks like a must have.:cool:

Just have to decide on whether to get the signed edition.:D

Have recently gotten into the Art of Film books and this also looks like a must have.:cool:

Just have to decide on whether to get the signed edition.:D

There is nothing to decide there, get it, and get the autographed edition, unfortunately Stan will never sign for us no more...

Get the signed copy if you can. WELL WORTH IT. I actually paid more for the regular edition than the autograph one.

Photo0275_EDIT.jpg

Photo0274_EDIT.jpg

I recently purchased this in memory of the late, great Stan Winston as well. Been contemplating picking it up for ages, but just never got around to it, then I saw an old interview with him that reminded me just how much the man's work personally meant to me, and that I had never actually ordered his book as I had always intended to do, and so went and did just that. Got mine (signed edition) from Book Depository, and as long as I have a collection, that book will be a part of it.

Back