The Unofficial Custom Takara Batman Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. :)
To lazy to dig up comparison shots, but I think the cowl is actually pretty close from some angles. Like this one:

P1110448.jpg

Yeah? I just don't see it. It looks awesome, no doubt, but as a Begins cowl? I don't see it.

what I've noticed about the takara cowl after looking at tons of reference pics for my resculpt is that there is a Begins cowl in there, just the accents are so much softer on the Takara. nice sharp edges are rounded off in the Takara like the brow. Also, the ears aren't point but also rounded off, which will be my final touch on the Takara and you'll see that there is some Begins in there, it just needs to be brought out ;)

And I think that sums up really well what my problem is with it. The head is too rounded and soft to be Begins. It kinda reminds me of a young animal. It's a kitten rather than a panther. He's more likely to sit down with you to talk through your problems, instead of slam your head into a brick wall. I think maybe the angle that you have the head at is a bit too expressive for Begins too...you've got a lot of nuance and expression in that angle!

Really? :huh

P1110449.jpg

If you're thinking of mine because of the right upper leg, I didn't stuff the legs. I only stuffed the torso and the lateral upper hip joint, sooo...

I will say this though: Stuffing the suit makes him look nice, but it does restrict articulation.

Mag, your photos of him look awesome. I'm really diggin the way you've beefed the body up.

If I didn't have the Hot Toys version I would be all over this guy. I could live with the boots, but the skinny waist would have to be dealt with.

Thanks Warden, :)

I had an opportunity to buy an OC Bats for less than $300 which would have been a good deal, but now I am so glad I passed. It motivated me to mod my Takara, and I love the result.

...also, I took that money and spent it on my first PF which should arrive on Friday! :yess:

A quick tip for other Takara owners: once the body is beefed up, the head looks too small and the neck looks too short. An easy solution is to barely push the head onto the neck post. The softer plastic of the head makes this possible and you don't loose any articulation.

This is what I have done in all recent pictures of my Takara.

Thanks Warden, :)

I had an opportunity to buy an OC Bats for less than $300 which would have been a good deal, but now I am so glad I passed. It motivated me to mod my Takara, and I love the result.

...also, I took that money and spent it on my first PF which should arrive on Friday! :yess:

Gandalf yes? My first PF will be Legolas :rock

To lazy to dig up comparison shots, but I think the cowl is actually pretty close from some angles. Like this one:

P1110448.jpg

If anything I feel the lines are far too sharp on the Hot Toys.

You just need to widen that head.

Who said he doesn't have a long neck?

I love the gloves now that I've had a good look at them.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those vodoun. Seems like the Takara cowl isn't all that bad.

Not sure I have the nerve to widen the head though...

I wish I had this figure.

contact board member JEDSTER...he told me he was trying to sell his, but I'm not sure if it's still available or if he's still selling, nor do I know the price...but if you really want one, I'd ask him as I don't think he wanted a fortune for it

Great pics Voudon! yea the HT are very sharp indeed, but they bring a bit more character IMO at this scale.

Thanks for posting those vodoun. Seems like the Takara cowl isn't all that bad.

Not sure I have the nerve to widen the head though...

yea the Takara isn't bad at all really, it just needs a slightly longer nose, and to be completely accurate (though I know you like this Mag) the neck should be one piece. after adding the longer nose to my Takara, I saw a lot more of the Begins cowl in there

^^it's just natural man. if a figure is "bad" then modded back to "good" it reignites interest...I didn't buy the Takara b/c i couldn't afford an OC, I've always wanted the Takara and got it before I even really knew about HT. I've always been happy with it, and Mag's mod made it even better, just like your mod with the boots makes it better as well. now it will be my turn with the cowl :yess:

^^it's just natural man. if a figure is "bad" then modded back to "good" it reignites interest...I didn't buy the Takara b/c i couldn't afford an OC, I've always wanted the Takara and got it before I even really knew about HT. I've always been happy with it, and Mag's mod made it even better, just like your mod with the boots makes it better as well. now it will be my turn with the cowl :yess:

That's a good point, the Takara unmodded compared to the HT unmodded (IMO) deserves to be "spat on". Both of them can be made awesome figures, but HT as standard is still awesome, whereas the Takara needs work.

Thanks for those comparison pics Vodoun, I stand corrected on the sharpness issue - I guess I just see my HT cowl more than I watch Begins!

yea the Takara isn't bad at all really, it just needs a slightly longer nose, and to be completely accurate (though I know you like this Mag) the neck should be one piece. after adding the longer nose to my Takara, I saw a lot more of the Begins cowl in there

I see what you mean about the nose. And yes, I love being able to turn his head. :)

I know he shouldn't have the range of motion that he did in the Dark Knight suit, but I'm pretty sure he could turn his head a little in Begins.

Maybe vodoun has some more comparison shots. :monkey3

I started to beef mine up. I will post pics tonight. I'm glad I got this figure. He will be bad a$$ soon
:yess:

awaesome! can't wait :rock

I see what you mean about the nose. And yes, I love being able to turn his head. :)

I know he shouldn't have the range of motion that he did in the Dark Knight suit, but I'm pretty sure he could turn his head a little in Begins.

Maybe vodoun has some more comparison shots. :monkey3

yea he could turn his head some what in begins, especially in the up/down vertical direction.

I'm just a stickler for accuracy on certain figs. most of the time I don't mind too much, but I'm just bent on having this guys as accurate as possible. That's why I'm still looking for some HT boots :( :gah:

Back