The THING would be JAWSOME!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone play the game that came out several years back on the PS2 (maybe xbox too)? Very tough and had some scarry moments. I too have never seen the movie from start to finish.

Yeah i had it,didnt bother playing it through,didnt like it.

John Carpenters The THING is above all and bar none my favorite movie of all time. If you've ever seen it on regular TV then you haven't seen it.

I'm in the middle of making 1:6 THING customs, which I've wanted to do for years, but really only became possible once that awesome PMC figure came out earlier this year. Here's some pix of his finished customized head, and of Sideshows "Platoon" KING (Keith David) I plan on making into Childs once I cast it someday and sand him bald. MacCready's clothes are temporary till I find a better grey shirt.

MacCready--montage.gif

The PMC head is actually a two piece head, with the headband and top of the head able to be seperated once you get it off. That leaves "Kurt" with a flat Frankenstien top you can then Apoxy over and build up on.

Also still majorly incomplete/W.I.P. is my custom THING here. Totally made up and not out of any specific scene of the movie, he still needs at least three heads put on him yet and tenticles. I haven't decided yet exactly what way he'll be standing, but I'm leaning towards two thick tentacles raising him into the air that would squirm like snake bodies, to make the main torso move suspended off of the ground.

THING014.jpg

THING013.jpg

Shame what happened to my Thing Diorama after I left...

Question for you guys.

Would you want a 1/4 scale MacReady in parka statue Premium Format style ?

Im not very interested in doing a 12" figure but I might be interested in doing the larger statue. I still have Kurt Russells head scan.

Also...to the person that made that custom...its beautiful.. great job.

just watched this again and yep , it would be a fantastic line.
The ending is a strange one though , there could be a sequel to this movie.
Although it would suck no doubt.

Differences

I love the THING to death, but there were a lot of story "mistakes", by todays standards.

If the THING can be transmitted with single infected cell, sharing a bottle of alcohol will transmit it just from back-wash. Ugh! The movie talked about how how they needed to prepare their own food from cans. The novelization also talked about they should also only wear synthetic blend clothes, because the THING might be able to mimick the wool or fur in a jacket otherwise.

In the novel, some of the deaths were different. The most notable scene was that some of the sled dogs escaped and they had to go out hunting after them to kill them in case they were infected.

I played 3/4ths of the THING game (until my X-Box got fried by lightning- true story, and it was in a surge protector!). It had a LOT of design problems, and while it was hailed as a sequel to the movie, and even John Carpenter hailed it as a worthy sequel to the movie, it isn't what I would have wanted to see in a sequel and I wasn't that thrilled with the storyline.

There are some genunely creepy moments in it so I think it's worth playing, especially since it can probably be found pretty cheap now.. Some of the design glitches are annoying though (more like ham-fisted story telling).

You can find a portable test to see if a member of your party is infected. I've tested members, they'd test negative, then two seconds later they'd transform and THING out.
Also, part of the game is you choosing who to trust and bring along with you.
At one point you find someone in a prison cell in a research base. I opted not to bring him with or release him. Next animated scene, hey, he's suddenly with my party... and he THINGS out! Grrrrrrr! (jerks!). Laugh.

Childs appears early in the game, found dead from exposure when you explore the American base from the movie. I always wanted to know if MacCready appears too at some point. It seems like he must, if they showed the team finding Childs.

im still new here just wondering is there a way where we can petition for sideshow to do this or do they need the liscense first?

Oh man I love the thing! You can buy the collectors edition at Best Buy for $10 and get $7.50 towards a movie ticket to see The Hulk, Hellboy II, Wanted, or the Mummy 3. GREAT DEAL if you ask me.

Back