The Strain (Novel by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Waller

Are you on the square?
Reaction score
51XH6kNzL9L._SS500_.jpg

The visionary creator of the Academy Award-winning Pan's Labyrinth and a Hammett Award-winning author bring their imaginations to this bold, epic novel about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity. It is the first installment in a thrilling trilogy and an extraordinary international publishing event.

The Strain

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months--the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city--a city that includes his wife and son--before it is too late.

It just came out yesterday. Is anyone planning on reading this?

Picked it up yesterday. I'm about 40 pages in and the suspense has been building steadily the whole way so far.

i wish i could have had someone across the pond pick me up an autographed book by Del Toro yesterday. I received the newsletter about him autographing the books and i was like "nooooooo" lol

I have to put this of wants
right now still reading Star Wars unleashed

This book is ^^^^ing awesome!!!!

I'm listening to the unabridged audio book on my Nano and it's just great!! I can't wait for my SE HC to come from Amazon!!!!

Spoiler Spoiler:

It's so good!!!! I hope GdT finishes the other 2 books soon!! I need my The Strain fix!!!!

I thought it was more creepily written horror novel than I've read in a very long time!

This was supposed to be a TV show originally, but no one picked it up. I hope it becomes popular enough that maybe GdT will make a movie out of this series!! This could be ^^^^ing awesome as a movie trilogy, especially with GdT at the helm!!!!

It reads like a film. I'm surprised it wasn't picked up as a TV series considering some of the crap out there. He has the credentials to get the ears of the studio execs.

Finally finished this yesterday (I only get to read on my commute home from work).
I really enjoyed it. There are definitely elements from his films in there, most notably the Reapers from Blade 2 and some settings similar to Mimic, but there is also a creepiness to the main villain that is quite unique.
It's also got a great mix of Crichton-esque pseudoscience and old school myth to the vampires.
I didn't know it was pitched as a TV series but I'm not surprised. If I have one critique it's the episodic and sometimes repetitive nature of some of the encounters. But that partially has to do with setting up many characters who do not cross paths (but clearly will in the future).
I'm definitely looking forward to the next one. I really love that they make it clear that the next story will be much different than this one as both he villains and the plot evolve.
Fun stuff!

Spoiler Spoiler:

Can't wait to see what happens next!!!!

Back