The Spectacular Spider-Man Animated Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks really cool, I like the animation style, has a lot of potential. I hope it goes more than one season unlike that last couple of Spidey shows.

I think it looks great and if it is anywhere near as good as The Batman than we are in for a treat. I know there are some people who don't like the current Batman series or even Jackie Chan Adventures but I thoroughly enjoyed both and believe the Spectacular Spider-Man has real potential. In many ways it looks like Ultimate Spider-Man, you know, looks like Peter is still a teenager in high school with Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy.

Also on March 8th, besides the Spider-Man premiere, there will be a big team up on the Batman with Superman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter and or course the Batman!

WONDERCON '08: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Svensson

The world premiere of The Spectacular Spider-Man Animated Series hit Wonder-Con, and afterwards the cast and crew made themselves available for questions.

After some initial problems with the volume level, the pilot episode of The Spectacular Spider-Man, “Survival of the Fittest” was played for a crowded audience at Wonder-Con. The episode is set to air March 8th on Kids WB, as part of an hour-long block along with the second episode. The pilot introduced the sixteen-year-old Peter Parker, having spent his summer vacation being Spider-Man returning to Manhattan Midtown Magnet High School, and dealing with the Vulture as well as facing the Enforcers. As well as creating a large supporting cast, ranging from Aunt May and Gwen Stacy to Eddie Brock and J. Jonah Jameson. A plethora of other Spider-Man characters made appearances in the episode, which aired in an almost complete form. Some touching up between the panel and the airing was still to be done.

After the episode concluded, Michael Vogel, Director of animated programming at Sony Pictures took the dais and introduced the other panelists. Supervising Producer Greg Weisman (Gargyoles, Captain Atom) , Supervising Director Victor Cook, character designer Sean “Cheeks” Galloway, the voice actor for Spider-Man Josh Keaton and Eddie Brock's voice, Ben Diskin.

When asked what their goal was with this series as opposed to previous animated Spider-Man series, supervising producer Greg Weisman (Gargoyles) explained “Our goal was to start from scratch, look at the old Stan Lee/Ditko/Romita Sr, a young Spider-Man like he was at the beginning. Not skipping ahead to college. To really play out the early days his being of Spider-Man. The theme of the show is 'the education of Peter Parker.' He thinks he has the world wired, we're going to take him to school. The second mandate was to create a Spider-Man who moved fundamentally.” Victor Cook elaborated on the need to make a Spider-Man who while recognizable was still simplified enough for the requirements of television animation, and the short production times given.

Weisman then explained their decision to conflate the various eras of Spider-Man history, taking characters who didn't normally meet Spider-Man in high school and postulating what they would have been like had they been around at that time, while being true to the core truths of the characters.

“Each episode is a stand alone, but it's an ongoing story, like the comics. Spanning the thirteen episodes of the first season, the 26 episodes we have in the works.” said Victor Cook.

Sean Galloway explained his method for designing the characters for animation, that he wanted the characters to have a modern urban feel. “I want people to think 'I'd wear something like that.' It kept me on track.”

We then learned that the voice of Spider-Man, Josh Keaton, is a large Spider-Man fan. “My car's license plate is THWIP. I'm getting the Spider-Man graphic put on the hood. I was a big geek in high school. So I relate to him. I was like Peter Parker, only I couldn't stick to walls.” Keaton then explained what he felt like when working on the series. “It was really daunting, it's such an iconic character, I didn't want to let anyone down. [...] That's Spider-man! I grew up reading the book, but I didn't read as much as I liked. So when I started I picked up the Essentials, did my homework, learned everything. I hope to have translated that into the show.”

Ben Diskin followed up, explaining “Same thing for me. I grew up on the 90's series. That's the big Spider-man series out when I was a kid. Venom was my favorite villain. I've wanted to do that role since I was 12.” Leading Greg Weisman to jokingly remark, “Not that we're saying Brock is Venom!” a running gag that continued when any fan asked about the villain.

Q: Is there a future for the series, with Kids WB being canceled?

Michael Vogel: Yes, absolutely. First 13 episodes will air on Kids WB this year. The next 13 are in production. Marvel and Sony are talking to a bunch of people about places where it will air. The CW has been considered.

Q: In the comic series, Venom becomes an anti-hero at some point. Will he do that in this series?

Michael Vogel: If he were in the series, let's just say he'd be a big problem for Spider-Man, and to find out after that you'll have to keep watching!

Q: What is your favorite and least favorite part of the series?

Josh Keaton: There is no worst, from the time I get the script, it's nothing but fun. Best, is these guys and the cast I get to work with. Talented people in the cast we haven't seen yet.

Q: How much of an influence is Ultimate Spider-Man in this?

Greg Weisman: I've read Ultimate Spider-Man, we saw good ideas, you saw Kenny Kong in the episode with Flash Thompson. I'm not shy about stealing from Bendis. But that was cherry picking, whether from the movies, Ultimate comics, later continuity, but the main influences are Lee, Ditko, Romita Sr. When I started work on this, I went out and bought all the Essential Spider-Man volumes, I took copious notes to find the core truths of each member of Spider-Man's supporting cast.

Q: Do you have plans to use Man-Thing in the series?

Greg Weisman: No, only because we're not allowed to use other characters from the Marvel Universe. We had interest in using other characters, but also want Spider-Man to stand on his own four legs. [...] It's a lawyerly decision.

Q: Why did you change the Vulture's color scheme?

Sean “Cheeks” Galloway: Originally we did use the green color scheme, but Marvel gave notes to not make everyone green. So we went for a more Marvel Knights approach.

SM101d009.jpg

https://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147953

I'm excited for it. Kids WB was advertising for it during The Batman but they wouldn't say what time it comes on. Does anyone know or is it different everywhere? And I'm looking forward to the Lost Heroes storyline on The Batman.

Yeah that series was awesome. If I could have a full hour of that followed by a full hour of the Batman cartoon for the 90's I'd pee myself with joy.

Back