The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy (Slipcased Edition)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would have been MUCH more interested in this if it had more "in-game" based artwork. i respect the work that amano has done for the series, but this product isn't for me.

i would have been MUCH more interested in this if it had more "in-game" based artwork. i respect the work that amano has done for the series, but this product isn't for me.

By "in-game based artwork", do you mean the primitive-looking 2D sprites with SNES and PSX graphics? I really would not want an art book with that... :monkey1

Amano's drawings served as the basis for the in-game stuff.

By "in-game based artwork", do you mean the primitive-looking 2D sprites with SNES and PSX graphics? I really would not want an art book with that... :monkey1

TBH, as a fan of pixel art, id probably dig that, but you make a good point. Most folks would probably not care for it.

:lol: maybeeee!!!

i guess not like literally in-game, but more similar to the artwork you see in the cutscenes (not the polygons), popular fan-art, or even newer games like dissidia. i don't really link amano's artwork to the characters, if that makes sense. for example, when i picture cloud and aerith, i wouldn't think of something like this:

20100707032222!Amano_Cloud_%26_Aerith_II.jpg

TBH, as a fan of pixel art, id probably dig that, but you make a good point. Most folks would probably not care for it.

All of the video game art books that I've seen, are more along the lines of concept drawings and sketches - not the actual in-game material.

But, the SNES games were only 16-bit. You can't really increase the resolution to fill a page in an art book without it looking really funky:

Large%20FF6%20Shadow.jpg

:lol: maybeeee!!!

i guess not like literally in-game, but more similar to the artwork you see in the cutscenes (not the polygons), popular fan-art, or even newer games like dissidia. i don't really link amano's artwork to the characters, if that makes sense. for example, when i picture cloud and aerith, i wouldn't think of something like this:

20100707032222!Amano_Cloud_%26_Aerith_II.jpg

Oh, okay. It's not what I imagine Cloud and Aeris to look like, either! :lol. There's also a lot of nice fan art with FF 7, and I like a lot of them from Deviant Art.

But, I really appreciate Amano's sketches. It's cool to look at the art that inspired the creation of many of the designs from the games.

All of the video game art books that I've seen, are more along the lines of concept drawings and sketches - not the actual in-game material.

But, the SNES games were only 16-bit. You can't really increase the resolution to fill a page in an art book without it looking really funky:

Large%20FF6%20Shadow.jpg

Yeah, it would have to be small art or recreated at higher rez. Could be cool though.

My favourite artwork from the games were the ones they used for the party pictures, or for instance the artwork they used for the cards in FF8

They also had a lot of quite nice artwork in the official walkthrough books, granted not lots but there was enough to keep a young child in awe

Thinking about this is giving me such nostalgia, sitting in front of the really small black box TV's aged 10 getting severely engrossed

Last edited:
I remember collecting those FF 8 cards in the game. I'm seriously in the mood to replay some Final Fantasy now!

I think I'm really starting to get into Amano. I love his water paintings. I just ordered another book (The Tale of Genji) from Amazon.

I think Metal Gear is the only franchise I played every single game of. Well, I didn't play AC!D2.

MGA2 was AWESOME Pliss, waay better than MGA1 and I really loved the story a lot. :yess:

Anyway, bumping the awesome thread. Wished I knew about this art book sooner, I have Solidus to thank or otherwise I'll never knew this book existed.

No problem, Ryan! It's an amazing collection of books. Even at MSRP, it's a steal for what you're getting.

No problem, Ryan! It's an amazing collection of books. Even at MSRP, it's a steal for what you're getting.

I'm so getting it one of these days! I saw the review/showcase on Youtube as well, and I think the closing comment was classy and adds a nice touch to the collection. I wished a similar treatment was done for MGS, but then again..

ve1h.jpg

MGS HD collection limited edition came with a pretty big art book. I still haven't opened mine but I'll eventually get to it.

MGS HD collection limited edition came with a pretty big art book. I still haven't opened mine but I'll eventually get to it.

Indeed it does, though unfortunately they trimmed some of the content.

I just LOVE the HD Collection art book I remember being so happy when I got it, it's probably my favorite videogame collectors edition I've bought last gen.

Back