The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy (Slipcased Edition)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
I haven't seen a discussion about this, but have any of you ordered "The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy" box set? It comes with three massive hardcover art books, detailing Yo****aka Amano's (Yosh itaka - dear Lord, the censors on this forum are ridiculous) art from the first Final Fantasy, up to Final Fantasy X.

Amazon currently has a deal on the "Slipcased Edition" for $53.99. The Slipcased version is a reprint, from a collection from last year, that was limited to only 1000 sets worldwide.

I received my copy today from Amazon. I still have yet to open it, though.

The-Sky-Featured-Image.jpg

Previously available only as a part of the now sold-out The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set, Dark Horse is pleased to offer fans another chance to own the three-book hardcover set The Sky I, II, and III, included in the new The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition! Yo****aka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and The Sky I, II, and III showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games. Each hardcover book in The Sky Slipcased Edition is 11 5/8" high by 10 5/8" wide, and printed on glossy stock. Volume 1 contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III, Volume 2 his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and Volume 3 features his art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The elegant slipcase containing The Sky I, II, and III features the same wraparound exterior artwork as The Sky Boxed Set, with a double-hinged flap that folds around the open edge and is held flat to the back side with a hidden magnetic closure, making it easy both to remove the books and to display the set closed.

Yeah I've seen this. If I get some extra cash together I will definitely pick it up. I own a majority of the FF and I have yet to play them aside from FFVII -_-

I have this (not the original) It's really nice. 3 books with all the artwork and the reprint slipcase is nice

If you collect artbooks and are a fan of FF then it's a definite pick up

It's really cheap too for what you get!

Yeah I've seen this. If I get some extra cash together I will definitely pick it up. I own a majority of the FF and I have yet to play them aside from FFVII -_-

I love the series, and I own all of the games (except for FF XIII), but I still haven't beaten any of them :lol. You should definitely play FF VI. It's hands down, the best game of the series, in my opinion. I've got it on emulator if you want... although we probably shouldn't talk about it here :monkey3.

I have this (not the original) It's really nice. 3 books with all the artwork and the reprint slipcase is nice

If you collect artbooks and are a fan of FF then it's a definite pick up

It's really cheap too for what you get!

Definitely. This collection is a steal. I just can't imagine that it'll be available in retail for very long, since Dark Horse tends to make limited prints.

When i was younger FF was my grail. I've played them all (even 12) and 100% completed then on multiple save files. There is some serious hours of gameplay on everyone of these

It's a shame they took the turn they did with 13, it really put me off the whole series, but i'll always have a soft spot for the earlier games, the same as i have for MGS

Hopefully FF Versus 13, which i'm assuming will be 14 can revive the franchise back to what it once was as it looks like it has potential

Versus 13 is XV.

FF always has some beautiful art and worlds. XIII was some of their best in that regard.

I think Metal Gear is the only franchise I played every single game of. Well, I didn't play AC!D2.

Just a pity the gameplay was rubbish and the characters forgettable

10 had the best mix of visual worlds and colours with story and likeable characters

7 (to me) is still the best though. Purely for story and character

Versus 13 is XV.

FF always has some beautiful art and worlds. XIII was some of their best in that regard.

Just a pity the gameplay was rubbish and the characters forgettable.

10 had the best mix of visual worlds and colours with story and likeable characters

7 (to me) is still the best though. Purely for story and character

I really don't have a place to say so since I didn't play the others but I fully agree with this. I can't see me jumping into a FF and not immediately think it's inferior to VII.

When i was younger FF was my grail. I've played them all (even 12) and 100% completed then on multiple save files. There is some serious hours of gameplay on everyone of these

It's a shame they took the turn they did with 13, it really put me off the whole series, but i'll always have a soft spot for the earlier games, the same as i have for MGS

Hopefully FF Versus 13, which i'm assuming will be 14 can revive the franchise back to what it once was as it looks like it has potential

For me, before there was MGS, there was Final Fantasy. These were the games that got me into gaming. I've practically refused to play FF 13, because of the departure that it has from the rest of the series. FF 13 has also brought in a lot of annoying Weeaboos into the fan base, who have practically zero knowledge of the prior games (no offense to anyone here who likes 13 :monkey3).

I really enjoyed 8 too, Squall was my favourite character for that very reason. I was an emo pubescent teenager and he was really relatable :lol

I loved Squall's badass, emo attitude :lol.

Alot of people argue 6 is the best and while i agree with them to some extent, i just liked the story and characters in 7 more. Maybe because it was the first one that was 3D

I really don't have a place to say so since I didn't play the others but I fully agree with this. I can't see me jumping into a FF and not immediately think it's inferior to VII.

I think I like them all fairly equally.

Except I and III is just okay

II sucks, I hate playing that one. Dumbest leveling system.

XIII - beautiful world, excellent enemy encounter system, fluid combat (made better in XIII-2), great music, Light. The roaming and density of "adventure" was crap. Meh story and characters but got more interesting in XIII-2 and hopefully will finish nice in the third. Characters like Hope are MUCH better in XIII-2.

Some of the early ones are just a bit dated now i suppose. 13 is the worst by far though and thats the general conthesis amongst fans. Not dissing anyone who does like it just saying

I really enjoyed 8 too, Squall was my favourite character for that very reason. I was an emo pubescent teenager and he was really relatable :lol

Alot of people argue 6 is the best and while i agree with them to some extent, i just liked the story and characters in 7 more. Maybe because it was the first one that was 3D

While FF 7 was great, there was just so much more in-depth story-telling, and emotional grit to FF 6 (not to diminish what happened to Aeris in FF 7). There were several main characters (as opposed to just Cloud) - each with their own tragedies and reasons for going after Kefka.

FF 7 comes in as a close second for me, though.

I feel that VI feels a tad more "mature" in how it's all set up. I don't feel like it's aimed at the teenage boy as I do with VII/VIII (not that there is anything wrong).

FFVII still has the most satisfying gameplay for me though. Love getting those Limit Breakers and weapons... how come recent games don't have that sense of reward??

Oh i agree with you, it's just personal preference. I really liked Zack in 7 for similar reasons. Didn't like CC because i felt it took away the mystery surrounding him

While FF 7 was great, there was just so much more in-depth story-telling, and emotional grit to FF 6 (not to diminish what happened to Aeris in FF 7). There were several main characters (as opposed to just Cloud) - each with their own tragedies and reasons for going after Kefka.

FF 7 comes in as a close second for me, though.

Back