The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this yesterday. It has a lot stylish elements, but there is a glaring plot hole that really took me out of the film. It's presented as a science fiction film, but has more of the sensibilities of a fairy tale.

I'm a fan of Abe Sapien, so I really wanted to like this film.

I guess so.

Think of every oscar winning movie and think of how many times we talked about them.
My coco thread has like a dozen posts and thats a pixar movie. Is commercial disney stuff. No one here cared to comment on it.

We are all to blame. I'll admit I have been more vocal about my disgust for TLJ and the MCU than about my love for recent films like Paddington 2, Coco or Mudbound.

It's cool to hate, I guess.

Anyways, I have yet to watch The Shape Of Water, hope I can still catch it at cinemas. Happy that Del Toro won since the last few years have been very hard for his projects, the world shall never see Hellboy 3 and without him who knows how good or bad PR 2 will be.

Such bull****.

Then again, "Get Out" was nominated for Best Picture and won Best Original Screenplay.
If that's not an indication of how biased and tasteless Academy's voting members are... :dunno

I thought the movie was very good, but it lacked any emotional investment for me. I expected to feel something for the characters, but honestly did not.

It's technically good, but Pan's Labyrinth was much better.

Finally saw this last week. I'd agree with the good, not great. Loved the production design and look, though felt it might have been better served set in almost an alternate reality than in the 1950's.

I believe I could list at least 20 distinct ways that the villain of this movie is evil. He is literally the most cruel, depraved, racist, misogynist, violent, ambitious-at-all-costs, classist, sexual deviant I've seen in a movie in a long time. It almost becomes funny how a significant new evil attribute pops up in every scene. He's like villains from five other movies all rolled into one.:lol

I can see how it won Best Picture though - it ticks every single box (including gay subplot, repressive 1950's setting and a story visually woven into classic Hollywood film/theaters iconography, especially musicals.)

I can see how it won Best Picture though - it ticks every single box (including gay subplot, repressive 1950's setting and a story visually woven into classic Hollywood film/theaters iconography, especially musicals.)

That was my chief complaint about the movie. It felt like there was a checklist of things that needed to be in the movie, like del Toro was tired of making great movies that didn't win, so he decided to be totally overt about it and shoehorn in all these tropes to make sure he won an Oscar.

That was my chief complaint about the movie. It felt like there was a checklist of things that needed to be in the movie, like del Toro was tired of making great movies that didn't win, so he decided to be totally overt about it and shoehorn in all these tropes to make sure he won an Oscar.

I cant see him being that kind of person. I dont think he did the movie with that in mind, he had this movie in his mind likea decade a go

I cant see him being that kind of person. I dont think he did the movie with that in mind, he had this movie in his mind likea decade a go

Or at least since he saw "The Space Between Us"...:monkey3:lol

Just finished watching this. Great production value and I loved the main actress. Its very hard to judge any movie to be best picture as my gauge is Forrest Gump and that calibre is set very high. Kind of like FRIENDS no sitcom has come close!!

Back