The Sadness of Empty Display Cabinets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CogPaul

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Shelves Before Statues- Never Again

OK , I am new here but why oh why did no-one warn me that it is not a good idea to buy the shelves that you think you need before the statues.

You go to Ikea , pick up a couple of Detolfs, you order some custom display cases for your SS PF's and Bowen Statues and then start to set the room up.

And then it dawns on you - nothing is sadder that an empty display case, Sure, you have plenty of pre-orders in but they are months away. Can you sit and look at those sad expanses of empty space until next year?

No matter how you arrange your meagre collection they do not look as impressive as that damn show your shelves section on SSFreaks.

The cabinets must be filled.:whip Anyone else suffering from ESAS ( empty shelves avoidance syndrome)?

Honestly, after a while you wish more shelves were empty. Especially with all the boxes that keep piling up upon themselves. :lol

Actually I am.

I'm still gradually moving my stuff out of a storage unit and buying new pieces here and there so everything's still in boxes. In addition, my man-cave has some awesome new framed posters and lithos just leaning against the wall in a stack b/c I need to finish moving and probably paint.

It's an anxiety-inducing nightmare....

The bottoms of my three Detolfs are empty because it's so low to the ground, they aren't displayed very well. It's like "What do I like the least??" and I put it there, but I can't diss anything out of my collection like that.

I'm the opposite at the mo, lots of goodies, boxes everywhere and no display cabinets, so send them to meeeeeeee!!! :lol :rock
x :peace

I bought loadsa figures and statues first and keep having to pay for more leaving no money for shelving units or display cases. :lol

don't worry they'll fill up...it's better than not having enough shelving/space and having to box a statue up. you did the right thing.

I am fortunate with space - everything is in the cinema room at present. Single man in a three bedroom house leaves plenty of room for expansion!

It's made worse because the first three display cases I ordered arrived with broken glass so I now have six cabinets in the room instead of three.

If an empy case is sadness personified - a smashed empty case is heartbreaking.

I'm the opposite at the mo, lots of goodies, boxes everywhere and no display cabinets, so send them to meeeeeeee!!! :lol :rock
x :peace

I bought loadsa figures and statues first and keep having to pay for more leaving no money for shelving units or display cases. :lol

I totally agree. I don't have the problem of filling up shelves. Its just lack of space and deciding what items get in the current display area.

An empty shelf should only be empty because you just finished putting it together. :lecture

I know how you feel, my shelf is empty after the Sith were all packed away...

Nice and Safe though...

Yeah, trust me, and everyone seems to agree, they wont be empty for long. It's much more depressing to have spent a lot of $ and have the item sit in a box undisplayed because you don't have shelf space.

Your situation will soon be remedied, no worries

Although it would be a little depressing to see empty display cases, it would be something to look forward to!!! Just think how cool it will look with those awesome statues in there :) Rory is right though, eventually you'll need space for all your boxes!!!

The room looks even sadder today- another three display cases delivered this afternoon to replace the three smashed ones delivered last week.

Oh deep joy - one of these has two broken side panels.

Thank you FedEx - I guess the supplier writing "fragile glass- do not drop , stack , kick or punch" on the box was too much of a temptation.

The supplier has told me to bin the smashed cabinets- I guess re-glazing wiil be expensive?

At least there is now a pristine 22 x 12 x 12 home waiting for my Robocop PF.

I wish I could buy detolfs. I'm in the middle of nowhere, so there're no Ikeas I can go to that won't require a day long drive, and the shipping costs of an online purchase of one detolf is $275. No thanks.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited:
Back