The reason why SS hasn't released armoured figure's yet.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel as of now that Medicom has the upper hand and in a big way.But I don't blindly follow one brand.I have the Jabba diplay,and I have ANH Obi wan on the way.Both of those are great products which is why I bought them.But I dont collect everything that SS has to offer simply because a lot of it is not up to standards.Medicom has a much better product and more of it.And I know..I know..Medicom doesn't have 4 lukes like SS does.Don't get me wrong I like luke,but I didn't get into StarWars for Luke.I got into StarWars for Troops,Vader,the bad guys,you know...like me..:lol

I agree that Medicom's SW figures are generally much better quality than those from SSC but I also feel that it's time they started spreading their creative wings and made more different types of character.
All the armored figures (& Maul) are cool but it would be nice to see them have another go at Luke or someone like Han Solo not to mention aliens or droids. It's fine if you just like the bad guys but I'd like Medicom to have a go at more of the OT core characters as well as it'd be nice to have 1/6 versions of the likes of Han,Luke or Leia with decent quality tailoring and poseability,even if the likenesses weren't quite as well done.
As for Vader I really couldn't care less. No company is likely to match Hurricanes amazing work unless they charge a similar sort of price and I think it's wishful thinking for anyone to expect a SSC Vader to come in at under $100,at least if it's going to be any good.

I agree that Medicom's SW figures are generally much better quality than those from SSC but I also feel that it's time they started spreading their creative wings and made more different types of character.
All the armored figures (& Maul) are cool but it would be nice to see them have another go at Luke or someone like Han Solo not to mention aliens or droids. It's fine if you just like the bad guys but I'd like Medicom to have a go at more of the OT core characters as well as it'd be nice to have 1/6 versions of the likes of Han,Luke or Leia with decent quality tailoring and poseability,even if the likenesses weren't quite as well done.
As for Vader I really couldn't care less. No company is likely to match Hurricanes amazing work unless they charge a similar sort of price and I think it's wishful thinking for anyone to expect a SSC Vader to come in at under $100,at least if it's going to be any good.

Yeah,it would be nice to see them do another Luke.But as long as their pumping out troopers and bad guys then I don't have any problem.Luke is last on my list unless it's Bespin Luke.I really coulld see Medicom releasing one in the near future,the very near future.

It really depends on what you like... If you are really only into armored characters, Medicom is gonna look more along your taste. If you are into Human characters, Jedi and aliens.... SSC is going to be more your taste.

Eventually Medicom will do nice "shorter" versions of the human characters...

And eventually SSC will do nice "normal sized" versions of the armored characters....

I'm just really looking forward to the day we do get the armored characters, because I'm hoping the armor is nice and sturdy... as armor should be... and not soft and rubbery. That was the only fault of the Medicom figures to me, they just didn't feel like armored characters should... at least IMO.

What I like the most about SSC, is they make a large selection of characters and not just the 'stars'. I think everyone would agree that the SW universe is what makes this hobby so rich. This story is just as much about the setting as the characters.
Ironically SSC has mostly heroes, Medi has mostly villains.

I'm just really looking forward to the day we do get the armored characters, because I'm hoping the armor is nice and sturdy... as armor should be... and not soft and rubbery. That was the only fault of the Medicom figures to me, they just didn't feel like armored characters should... at least IMO.

That's the direction I'm anticipating Josh. I don't know if you have the Boushh figure or not, but if you feel the shoulder armor compared to your HT Colonial Marine gear, they're quite similar in how rigid and firm they are, and yet surprisingly the pieces are light weight. I'm with you in the idea that it'd be nice for armored figures to really feel, not just look, armored, like the Colonial Marines who feel like they could actually go into little 1/6 battle and survive a beating because they're protected.

What I like the most about SSC, is they make a large selection of characters and not just the 'stars'. I think everyone would agree that the SW universe is what makes this hobby so rich. This story is just as much about the setting as the characters.
Ironically SSC has mostly heroes, Medi has mostly villains.

Actually, if you break it down, both companies have given some attention to heroes, villains, scum, and military.

Sideshow's actually offered 1 more villain than Medicom, counting Fetts as scum, countered by Sideshow's Jabba and crew. While Medicom has ventured into armored military, they haven't done much with it; a Stormtrooper and a conceptual version of it, and a Clone Trooper with a slight varition in unit colors. They haven't been bold enough to try a Gree or Bly or Cody with more involving armor and costume elements. Medicom recycles a bit too much, where Sideshow, now that they've moved on from the Order of the Jedi, are offering up a wide variety of costume designs and haven't rehashed anything in quite some time.

Bottom line, as Star Wars fans, both companies offer up opportunity to collect nice pieces of beloved characters and both have their value if you can judge them on their own merrit. I bought Medi Boba Fett because it's the first Fett figure of it's size that I've ever seen capture the exact look from the movies. Regardless of whether it fits in with my SSC collection or not, it's still a fine figure and addition to my collection in this scale. The only major point between SSC and Medi that I hold against Medicom is that they offer up pieces, Sideshow offers a line/collection, and that's more fullfilling for me personally. I've praised HT's Pirates line because where Medi did a stand alone Jack, HT is making a line of figures and I'm building a fuller collection.

This thread is pretty usesless as everyone here has an opinion regardless of what is said, and only those that let insults over toys get to them are fueling this fire. The bottom line is buy what you like it's your money. Sideshow, Medicom, Hot Toys, somebody will get your money sooner or later.

This thread is pretty usesless as everyone here has an opinion regardless of what is said, and only those that let insults over toys get to them are fueling this fire. The bottom line is buy what you like it's your money. Sideshow, Medicom, Hot Toys, somebody will get your money sooner or later.

I think the real point of this thread is to (yet again) let Sideshow know that we want Sideshow armored figures.......at least, that is my motivation....

Joke of the day: How many Sideshow employees does it take to make an armored Vader figure? (answer as soon as I come up with a good punch line :chew)

I think the real point of this thread is to (yet again) let Sideshow know that we want Sideshow armored figures....

That seems like such an illogical statement. Much like I commented in the droids and Chewbacca poll thread, it's not as though Sideshow is unaware of the want for characters like Vader and stormtroopers, hell I'll bet half or most of the people working on the line want to see those guys, a Star Wars figure line based on the movies without Darth Vader and Stormtroopers is like a hot dog without a bun and some ketchup, sure it's ok, but it's missing some important extras. They know we want it, they're working on it I'm sure, hearing about it over and over isn't going to change the matter.

The folks at SS are so keenly aware of the demand for this stuff it's kind of sick. During the Freaks Party at SDCC I was talking to one of the guys from SS and I brought up Chewbacca saying I was interested to see what they came up with. The response to that was along the lines of "Well here's the problem, how many people will be willing to pay the cost if it were done in real fur?" I think that's the delay in the armor. They are trying to put these out at a realistic price in relation to the current market and make them comparable to the competition. They want to at least EQUAL the Medi Vader in the design aspect and keep the cost low. Not an easy feat but one they are working on.

At the rate that these figures are rising in price, Sideshow will probably release them at a point where it's below Medicom, yet still within the range or their regular figures. Probably around $80.00 to $100.00

At the rate that these figures are rising in price, Sideshow will probably release them at a point where it's below Medicom, yet still within the range or their regular figures. Probably around $80.00 to $100.00

I think Vader will be about the price of Jabba (but with a decent amount of goodies) where Troopers will be about the $80 price point. Granted I'm fairly sure these will be on the new body so it will be worth the price. They didn't trumpted the fact that these bodies were modular for nothing. Add a few extra pieces and you have a Vader body that will have good poseabilty. Remove a few pieces and you have a body ready for a Trooper.

It's only been a long time without armor if you get hung up on those types of characters. I love Darth Vader and I want one from Sideshow, but I've been enjoying everything we've gotten over the last few years, they're fine products, cool characters, and I've built a beautiful collection and when I look at it all together, I see a great gathering of beautiful figures, it never crosses my mind who is or isn't in the mix.

I will tell you, I have the Medicom Vader, but I just have him rotting in my closet - he looks good and all, but he is too darn short....I kinda wish I never got him at this point..

if it's an EP6 vader and you want to get rid of it, send a message my way

I think Vader will be about the price of Jabba (but with a decent amount of goodies) where Troopers will be about the $80 price point. Granted I'm fairly sure these will be on the new body so it will be worth the price. They didn't trumpted the fact that these bodies were modular for nothing. Add a few extra pieces and you have a Vader body that will have good poseabilty. Remove a few pieces and you have a body ready for a Trooper.

You actually think that Sideshow will charge that much for a Vader? I don't think so. A character of his magnatude will warrant repeat offerings. Sideshow will milk it for a while sort of giving all you naysayers something to chew on while it presents a Vader for each movie that he was in. With that, there isn't much that you could give him. Maybe the interrigator droid from part 4, his meditation chamber from part 5, and a removeable helmet from part 6.

Back