"The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading the reviews i was dreading seeing the interaction between the knuckleheads. To my surprise, I thought they were a benefit to the film. I was expecting Quentin Tarantino death by dialog wasn't the case.

It was pretty good. Not perfect. But definately not a failure.

I thought the characters were good... At first. But the film just ran out of steam or something.. Perhaps it was all the reshoots but I just stopped caring.

Being chased by a cartoon monster lessens the tension a lot also.

DId anyone else think of Mars Attacks when the New Predator was using the Translator and telling them he would give them a head start.

All I could hear was Gah gah gah gah... gah.. gah gah.. gah GAH! from the Mars Attacks when that moment was going on.

Film was just stupid in so many ways for me.

It had a good enough beginning.. I was into it when the 1st Predator escaped.. It all fell apart when the really awful ****** CGI showed up and the Super Duper Predator was not only a bad design but some of the worst CGI I have seen in years.. It reminded me so much of the Super Werewolf in Underworld 4 in the way it moved and its size... Underworld may have had better CGI though.

Film just got beyond dumb after a certain point.. Ending was crap as has been mentioned but it was so bad all over the place..

And I just can't forgive the film for taking one of the most iconic suit monsters and turning it into a bad CGI monster that only the makers of The Mummy 2 would be proud of..

Blah.

Ending was LOUSY...absolutely agree. The end fight scene was meh. It looked like a fighter that was winded in the later rounds. It just didn't finish strong.

CGI for the Big Predator could've been better, but I thought he was the star of the show. He was a legitimate monster. I really liked him. But agreed CGI coulda been a little better. I hated the Berserker Predator he was silly. This thing, i thought was awesome.

CGI was the only way to pull off an 11 foot Predator. For me, his size and presence made up for the average CGI. He was a bruiser. when the first Predator was on the table in the lab, I thought he was too short compared to regular humans. The actor is 6'9"...a little short to play the Predator. I enjoyed seeing a gigantic Predator on screen.

Just got back...

SO let me start off by saying that while I am a fan of the original movie (19 out of 10) I am not a Predator superfan. I thought the second film was good enough and Predators was meh. THe Two AvP films were both equally bad with AvP:R having a very cool Predator chraracter to make it a more enjoyable film then the first.

I preped myself for this film to be kinda goofy film and I knew what I was going into being that it was a Shane Black movie and some were comparing it to IM:3 in tone.

So i was ready to turn my brain off and enjoy this film for what it was about to be...

Having said all that..

**** this ****ing piece of **** abomination of a ****ing **** sandwich film.

If I could rep for this I would!

Curious which is better "The Predator" or "The Meg"

Great question!

This Predator movie all the way.

That will be $5.00.

Don't agree. Meg at least did not crap all over a classic.

Now if Meg was called JAWS 5 and referenced JAWS through the whole thing.. I might agree.

Oh wait JAWS 3D and Revenge already did that..

THe Predator IS better then JAWS 3D and Revenge..

Hmmm.. I think I enjoy JAWS 3D more though...

I just had a reply to Khev that summed it up.

I could look past some of the bad plot points and screwing with the lore... I just would not consider the film Canon... But the awful CGI and humor just got worse and worse as the film went on. The New Predator CG really just took me out of the film. And the Frog Predator just had me rolling my eyes.

Kid was OK at first but just like the rest of the film the longer it went on the more annoying it got.

I was really ready to defend this fil after the 1st Predators initial escape... But it just took such a hard nose dive around the time the Dogs and the New Predator showed up.

It wasn't just bad CGI either. It was the characters that became more annoying, the plot become more dumb, and the action became less original and less exciting.

AVP:R was a freaking Oscar Winner compared to this one.. At least that film had the good sense to treat the Predator itself with respect.

While watching the film after the first half hour I kept finding myself thinking of whishing I was watching about anything else.

Dude, AVP-R...The PredAlien!!! the PredAlien!!! .that thing is the stupidest monster in the history of cinema.

The Dogs were absolutely unnecessary! I agree.

I'm The toughest Predator critic I know...all things considered this film was a good Predator film.

Last edited:
Ending was LOUSY...absolutely agree. The end fight scene was meh. It looked like a fighter that was winded in the later rounds. It just didn't finish strong.

CGI for the Big Predator could've been better, but I thought he was the star of the show. He was a legitimate monster. I really liked him. But agreed CGI coulda been a little better. I hated the Berserker Predator he was silly. This thing, i thought was awesome.

CGI was the only way to pull off an 11 foot Predator. For me, his size and presence made up for the average CGI. He was a bruiser. when the first Predator was on the table in the lab, I thought he was too short compared to regular humans. The actor is 6'9"...a little short to play the Predator. I enjoyed seeing a gigantic Predator on screen.

That may be the make or break for this film... If you can buy into the big Predator then you can probably have a good time.. I hated his size, his look, his personality, and his CGI. Really ruined the film for me. Dog Predators were awful also.

If I could rep for this I would!

:lol I think its some of my best criticism of a film :lol

I was hoping you'd hate it. :lol

Why.. What did I do to you? :lol

Did you enjoy it??

Don't agree. Meg at least did not crap all over a classic.

Now if Meg was called JAWS 5 and referenced JAWS through the whole thing.. I might agree.

Oh wait JAWS 3D and Revenge already did that..

THe Predator IS better then JAWS 3D and Revenge..

Hmmm.. I think I enjoy JAWS 3D more though...

I was very excited to see The Meg. Saw it on Thursday first available showing in my area. THE MEG was GARBAGE!

The Predator kicked the living **** out of The Meg. U wanna watch The Meg? Watch the trailer EVERY SINGLE GOOD SCENE in two minutes, Id watch Jaws IV & Jaws 3 back to back to back for 24 hours straight before I'd watch The Meg again.

Dude, AVP-R...The PredAlien!!! the PredAlien!!! .that thing is the stupidest monster in the history of cinema.

The Dogs were absolutely unnecessary! I agree.

I'm The toughest Predator critic I know...all things considered his film was a good Predator film.

First I was referring to the Wolf Predator when I talk about a cool Predator character that film offered.

Second... PredAlien was a more original, better looking, and better executed in character and F/X

It at least tried to be scary

I still maintain that had AVP:R taken place on another planet on a Space colony were it did not feel like it was filmed in my small hometown it would be thought of as a better film.. The small town feel just makes it feel so low budget and is both Un Alien and Un Predator like

The Predator ended up suffering in the same way.. Perhaps its because I like in a small town. Maybe people who live in The City feel that Predator 2 feels off. IDK.

First I was referring to the Wolf Predator when I talk about a cool Predator character that film offered.

Second... PredAlien was a more original, better looking, and better executed in character and F/X

I still maintain that had AVP:R taken place on another planet on a Space colony were it did not feel like it was filmed in my small hometown it would be thought of as a better film.. The small town feel just makes it feel so low budget and is both Un Alien and Un Predator like

The Predator ended up suffering in the same way.. Perhaps its because I like in a small town. Maybe people who live in The City feel that Predator 2 feels off. IDK.

AvPR needed day shots and a different setting you’re right.

A bright city like Beijing, London or Seattle lol

I was very excited to see The Meg. Saw it on Thursday first available showing in my area. THE MEG was GARBAGE!

The Predator kicked the living **** out of The Meg. U wanna watch The Meg? Watch the trailer EVERY SINGLE GOOD SCENE in two minutes, Id watch Jaws IV & Jaws 3 back to back to back for 24 hours straight before I'd watch The Meg again.

The Meg could have been saved by an R rating and gone more for the Piranha 3D approach and a shorter running time.. It was garbage but it kinda knew it was.. The Meg Shark was about as interesting as the New Predator... Personality was about the same.. They were both big, cartoony, and wanted to kill :lol

Nothing personal, I just enjoy your reviews whether it be positive or negative.

I actually have not seen it and if AvPR is truly the better film I plan on keeping it that way. :lol

Yeah I can't believe I am defending AVP:R in some way..

The Predators is probably a better movie. AVP:R always reminded me of a Fan made film... I don't count either AVP films as canon and never watch them. But the Wolf Predator was always cool.

The Predator IMO feels more like it takes place in the AVP Universe.

I hear ya. Wolf was cool but I really got a kick out of the giant Pred :lol kinda like a little kid seeing a giant life Size adult teddy bear, his presence was overwhelming.

I hear ya about love for suits and latex masks... it it just wasn't possible With the big boy. I've always said, monsters in films...I'd always rather see the MUCH larger than a little small.

One criticism I had of the movie is, there was no civilian interaction with the Predators. I would've liked to see random peooe ******** their pants seeing the Predators.

The Meg could have been saved by an R rating and gone more for the Piranha 3D approach and a shorter running time.. It was garbage but it kinda knew it was.. The Meg Shark was about as interesting as the New Predator... Personality was about the same.. They were both big, cartoony, and wanted to kill :lol

Yeah I can't believe I am defending AVP:R in some way..

The Predators is probably a better movie. AVP:R always reminded me of a Fan made film... I don't count either AVP films as canon and never watch them. But the Wolf Predator was always cool.

The Predator IMO feels more like it takes place in the AVP Universe.

Yeahhh I wish it was R. inwanted to see The Meg
Wreaking havok on the open water taking down jet skiers, fisherman, single handedly killing a pod of killer whales...but none of that happened. The e tire time i was waiting for the ohhhh **** scene and I felt it never happened.

That’s what ruined A Quiet Place for me those awful cgi monsters bleh!

I have yet to watch AQP again.. But the CGI monsters IMO were not as bad looking as The Predator..

Wasn't your issue more the design then the CGI?

I was not in love with the design but thought the CGI was good enough that it did not harm the film..

I prefer the CGI in Hereditary :lol

I have yet to watch AQP again.. But the CGI monsters IMO were not as bad looking as The Predator..

Wasn't your issue more the design then the CGI?

I was not in love with the design but thought the CGI was good enough that it did not harm the film..

I prefer the CGI in Hereditary :lol

Both design and execution.

AQP is like Black Panther, over rated.

Yeahhh I wish it was R. inwanted to see The Meg
Wreaking havok on the open water taking down jet skiers, fisherman, single handedly killing a pod of killer whales...but none of that happened. The e tire time i was waiting for the ohhhh **** scene and I felt it never happened.

100% agree.. It was a promise of a moment that never came. PG-13 films have become so tame over the years..

Raiders of the Lost Ark, JAWS, Gremlins, TOD, etc.. Would not even make PG-13 status today. They would be R rated no question.

Back