The Pacific

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic episode. Probably my favorite so far, mostly because it showed that these men have a lot more to them than combat skills, it showed them as human beings who love and care about each other very much.

Leckie, whom I wasn't that interested in before hand, was developed very well and I'm interested in seeing what happens as the war continues. The scene with his girl on the stairs was sad, but realistic. It's nice to see people acting like real people, thinking things through and wrestling with their emotions.

Must say though, gotta appreciate that one scene. You know which one. Band of Brothers never had that going for it!

Fantastic episode. Probably my favorite so far, mostly because it showed that these men have a lot more to them than combat skills, it showed them as human beings who love and care about each other very much.

Leckie, whom I wasn't that interested in before hand, was developed very well and I'm interested in seeing what happens as the war continues. The scene with his girl on the stairs was sad, but realistic. It's nice to see people acting like real people, thinking things through and wrestling with their emotions.

Must say though, gotta appreciate that one scene. You know which one. Band of Brothers never had that going for it!

It's funny, but I actually disliked the episode for pretty much the same reasons you've indicated. I guess it comes down to the source material - whereas Band of Brothers was written by an outside source, using interviews with survivors to develop the narrative, the Pacific is based on the personal accounts of three soldiers, so naturally there'd be more drama and emotion to the proceedings.

Personally, I prefer my war dramas to feature less of these personal moments, but I can understand their inclusion. I'm just looking forward to the next confrontation as that's where I find the real interesting character moments tend to occur.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

It's funny, but I actually disliked the episode for pretty much the same reasons you've indicated. I guess it comes down to the source material - whereas Band of Brothers was written by an outside source, using interviews with survivors to develop the narrative, the Pacific is based on the personal accounts of three soldiers, so naturally there'd be more drama and emotion to the proceedings.

Personally, I prefer my war dramas to feature less of these personal moments, but I can understand their inclusion. I'm just looking forward to the next confrontation as that's where I find the real interesting character moments tend to occur.

100% agree.............

i really like the dynamic of telling the story from the viewpoint of a few as opposed to a whole unit overall. there is overlap in the sense that the unit is confronted by the common barrage/enemy but not all suffer the same torment. tonight's episode clearly illustrated this & was very moving. i think it's just now touching on how much that war (or all wars) effects the human psyche.

I agree with you Barryo that it was good to see how war affects not only the bodies but the minds of these Marines as well, but I didn't care much for tonights episode. I felt that the pacing was off and it made for a pretty dull show, and as much as I like Leckie I didn't like how the episode played out. Could just be me though.

However, based on the preview for next week it looks like we're in for another hard hitting episode so I have that to look forward to.

First 2 episodes finally aired in uk last night, EPIC stuff :rock:rock dare I say better than band of brothers.

There is a bit of a slow down in the next two episodes, Band was slow at the beginning then picked up steam, this one is going the other way. Don't get me wrong though, it's shaping up to be a fantastic series. They are just going into just how much these guys suffered while fighting in some of the worst conditions ever in a war.

No letting up in this week's episode. It's amazing what these guys went through.

And how hot was Anna Torv! Wow! I wish she had been in it a little longer.

Ok....I had my Pacific marathon last night and I'm up to date!

Man that last episode was amazing!!! Those guys really had it hard. Dare I say, even worst than the guys of BoB....all tho Bastogne was pretty freaking hard.

Man....both these series are true masterpieces! I love them both.

The only beef I got with The Pacific tho, is that there's way to many characters and I can't keep up with all of them. Like for example,
Spoiler Spoiler:

He was cool tho...i like him. :)

Can't wait til the next one! :rock

Ok....I had my Pacific marathon last night and I'm up to date!

Man that last episode was amazing!!! Those guys really had it hard. Dare I say, even worst than the guys of BoB....all tho Bastogne was pretty freaking hard.

Man....both these series are true masterpieces! I love them both.

The only beef I got with The Pacific tho, is that there's way to many characters and I can't keep up with all of them. Like for example,
Spoiler Spoiler:

He was cool tho...i like him. :)

Can't wait til the next one! :rock

Hey Bam, can I take from your sig and avatar you like the show? :lol

I've had no problem keeping up with all the names. And it's funny you should mention Snafu. I recognized him as the gay kid from The War at Home as soon as I saw him. I have a hard time think of him differently. :lol

This past episode was nuts... the airfield felt like a bit reversal from the previous engagements.

Really one of the craziest sequences I've seen in a long time. Its unreal that people could actually survive that ____ :google

Hey Bam, can I take from your sig and avatar you like the show? :lol

I've had no problem keeping up with all the names. And it's funny you should mention Snafu. I recognized him as the gay kid from The War at Home as soon as I saw him. I have a hard time think of him differently. :lol

It just dawn to me....he's also the dude who played the pharaoh dude in Night of the Museum. :slap

What about that other dude.....the guy eugene took the box from...he looks familiar too?

It just dawn to me....he's also the dude who played the pharaoh dude in Night of the Museum. :slap

What about that other dude.....the guy eugene took the box from...he looks familiar too?

I'm not sure, he didn't look familiar to me. :dunno

oh man...............what that guy was throwing rocks into.............that was disturbing & graphic............:monkey4

I've refrained from reading anything about the real-life soldiers portrayed in The Pacific; I was truly shocked after tonight's episode. I'll definitely be reading the book after the series is over.

Back