The Old Republic, EA's biggest loss ever.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what he means. Star Wars 1313 will be a pretty hard-core Star Wars game. And with Disney now owning the property I would see an increase in Star Wars games. Possibly even a real KOTOR 3. BTW, Obsidian said they'd really like to do a KOTOR 3, like that's their dream project.
Hard core shooter though, while I am a Fett fan first and foremost and this game is a wet dream, I still want a game with glow sticks! ( unleashed doesnt count...not that they are bad games but... )

Hard core shooter though, while I am a Fett fan first and foremost and this game is a wet dream, I still want a game with glow sticks! ( unleashed doesnt count...not that they are bad games but... )

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a new Jedi Knight game, which would be amazingly awesome.

Actually, here's what things I think could be likely:

Republic Commando 2
Battlefront 3
KOTOR 3
Jedi Knight 4
TIE Fighter/X-Wing

wow has destroyed the mmorpg genre, because of its success everyone stopped innovating and just copied the same theme park rail formula. Coming as a first generation mmorpg gamer, cant help but feel sorry for the kids nowdays who knew nothing else but wow. There was something very unique and special about each of the original mmorpg - eq, uo, ac, shadowbane, anarchy online, etc.. They will never experience any of those games, instead just move from one wow clone to the next repeating the same experience over and over like mindless zombies.

Swtor is a ****ing disgrace, bioware basically had an unlimited budget and ea's full resource at their disposal, not to mention the rich & popular star wars universe, a developer's wet dream. And what did they do? they wasted everything and created another wow clone, those guys were scared ****less to innovate anything.

I wasn't expecting star war galaxies style ambition, but what they delivered is a joke, and I feel no pity it went free to play and down the toilet.

RIP mmorpg :mad:

wow has destroyed the mmorpg genre, because of its success everyone stopped innovating and just copied the same theme park rail formula. Coming as a first generation mmorpg gamer, cant help but feel sorry for the kids nowdays who knew nothing else but wow. There was something very unique and special about each of the original mmorpg - eq, uo, ac, shadowbane, anarchy online, etc.. They will never experience any of those games, instead just move from one wow clone to the next repeating the same experience over and over like mindless zombies.

Swtor is a ****ing disgrace, bioware basically had an unlimited budget and ea's full resource at their disposal, not to mention the rich & popular star wars universe, a developer's wet dream. And what did they do? they wasted everything and created another wow clone, those guys were scared ****less to innovate anything.

I wasn't expecting star war galaxies style ambition, but what they delivered is a joke, and I feel no pity it went free to play and down the toilet.

RIP mmorpg :mad:

I don't think WOW destroyed the MMORPG genre. First off, it's a truly fabulous game that totally immerses you in the world with its beautiful graphics. Questing with a friend alone in immense deserts, jungles, barren wastelands or doing dungeons in parties is mad fun. Blizzard never ****s up, ever. StarCraft, Diablo 2, WarCraft 3, WOW. Flawless. Although you ever questioned that in your reply, I just felt like praising Blizzard

You cannot say BLIZZARD ruined the MMORPG genre, the COMPANIES that copy them have. It is only because WOW is so successful and brilliant that they CHOOSE to copy them. Companies can be innovative and dream up whatever they want, if they want to be lazy, I guess gamers nowadays won't see any innovative MMORPGs

But you know what, you say one thing, I say another just a bit different but really we are both saying the same thing so it really doesn't matter

Last edited:
I don't think WOW destroyed the MMORPG genre. First off, it's a truly fabulous game that totally immerses you in the world with its beautiful graphics. Questing with a friend alone in immense deserts, jungles, barren wastelands or doing dungeons in parties is mad fun. Blizzard never ****s up, ever. StarCraft, Diablo 2, WarCraft 3, WOW. Flawless. Although you ever questioned that in your reply, I just felt like praising Blizzard

You cannot say BLIZZARD ruined the MMORPG genre, the COMPANIES that copy them have. It is only because WOW is so successful and brilliant that they CHOOSE to copy them. Companies can be innovative and dream up whatever they want, if they want to be lazy, I guess gamers nowadays won't see any innovative MMORPGs

But you know what, you say one thing, I say another just a bit different but really we are both saying the same thing so it really doesn't matter

you are not understanding what i am saying, wow is a fantastic game and one of the best mmorpg. But it DID destroy the mmorpg genre because it is so successful everyone just copied its theme park formula with clones, instead of coming up with their own more ambitious sandbox or design.

star war galaxies was the last game that tried to innovate, and what did sony do? instead of fixing the bugs they forced it into another wow clone and in turn killed the game.

you are not understanding what i am saying, wow is a fantastic game and one of the best mmorpg. But it DID destroy the mmorpg genre because it is so successful everyone just copied its theme park formula with clones, instead of coming up with their own more ambitious sandbox or design.

star war galaxies was the last game that tried to innovate, and what did sony do? instead of fixing the bugs they forced it into another wow clone and in turn killed the game.

I gotta come clean and admit I did play Star Wars Galaxies.
Now that was a fantastic game until the combat nerf.
Still remember hunting krayt dragons just run into a mob of tusken raiders.
Oh fun times.
:rotfl

I also have very fond memories of playing SWG. Was one of my earliest MMO endeavours. I had absolutely NO clue as to what I was running around doing. But I had so much fun.

I just started playing it earlier this week, and I'm enjoying it, but I've also never played WoW either. So maybe that's why I like it.

I am also very early into the game though, and have a Sith Inquisitor level 8 and a Jedi Consular level 5.

I like the create a character, but will wait and reserve final judgement after I play through it quite a bit more. Luckily I only paid $14.99 for it new and get a free month of subcribed play.

Get back to us when you hit level 20.

ALL mMO's a magical for the first 10-20 levels.

The trick is keeping the magic going after that.

Something that , TOR just fails to do IMO..

Yep, the endgame was what killed it. I played with a fun group of people but once you got to the end, particularly the terrible unrewarding PVP, it wore on me quickly. Shame, since I rather liked the story/some of the fun ideas they implemented.

I've heard they made a ton of changes that improved the game but after most of my friends quit, there didn't seem to be much reason to go back.

The mere fact that they fired half their crew, and some of the core developers/creators have abandoned ship is enough for me to stay away forever.

Bioware should never had had the association with EA; moment they got bought out, it was game over for what they were originally. This game is the culmination of that failure

It's not really surprising considering the cost of running an MMO plus the likely licensing costs plus the thousands of voice actor hours....

I enjoyed the game at first but got bored pretty quick. Like others have said only the story is really good.

It's not really surprising considering the cost of running an MMO plus the likely licensing costs plus the thousands of voice actor hours....

I enjoyed the game at first but got bored pretty quick. Like others have said only the story is really good.

Even then it was pretty repetitive. I mean, how many Super-Weapons did I have to destroy just levelling my Knight? :lol

Back