THE NEW EBAY SCAM-NO PAYPAL PROTECTION, buyer beware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo customz

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is a warning going out to all of us who buy on ebay, we are all screwed---and are not covered through paypal protection either at all.
As we know scam artist will find loop holes---well here is the new one that pretty much _____KS us clean----HERE IS GOES------
09/22/2011 i see a ED209 buy it now for $248.30 with free shipping deal and than some , only problem the seller has 0 feedback and wants immediate payment, i knew i would be covered through paypal/ebay and if something goes wrong i would get my funds but would have to wait about 2-4 weeks to get the funds back, but a ED209 @ $248.30 does not come around, so i bought the item, the seller today emails me that the track# is on paypal so i go and CHECK the delivery con# and it shows that the item was delivered on the 9/27/11, now it does not show the address to where but just the city and zip, right away i know something was wrong, i work from home so i know i did not miss the item, my postman know me so i know the item did not end up someone else home, i know my next door people as well, i called ebay/paypal and what they told me shocked me, if a seller sells a item for less than $250.00 and does not ship the item through ebay/paypal they do not require the seller to provide confirmation of what address the item was shipped to, ebay/paypal tell me it shows you got the item so we will rule in his favor , so
i can sell a item for $248.00 go to google find a local store in the same city and zip send them a small package with delivery con# and thats it , once you do not get the item you call ebay i provide this # and prove that a package was delivered in the same city and zip----i win you loose---simple
this freggin sucks and it should not be this way , but it is and i wanted all to know-----NOT TO BUY ON EBAY--------------

That's a good scam, I'm gonna try that. I could use some quick cash for an 89 Batman set.

what sucks is that ebay just has no sense in this matter at all-----all they would have to do to solve this issue is make new/old seller who does not use ebay to ship prove what address the item was shipped to----simple solution, but i know we live in a upside down world-----simple solution is not a option just dump policy-----

I feel your pain, man. I was on the opposite end of the spectrum as you. I sent a high value package to a dude on eBay, who I found out later was a notorious scammer in my area. He claimed he never received it, it was scanned as delivered. He filed a claim, and the funds were reversed the next day. PayPal didn't even bother to investigate the matter. Just because there was no 'online viewable' signature confirmation. I proved to them that the dude went into the post office to sign for and pick up the package. I was on the phone with PayPal and eBay for hours, just telling them all these facts about how this guy is a huge scammer, and I straight up told them that they are facilitating massive theft, and explained how easy this was to manipulate. I told them how I could rip people off for thousands taking advantage of this loophole, and their response was just "I understand". . . you could just tell you were talking to a brick wall.

So, in situations like this. . . if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Another reason never to buy anything from a 0 feedback seller.

So, just to be clear, does the scammer send an empty package to a store in the same city? Just has to have a value under $250, insured?

As a side note, for all those scammed upon, I wonder if there is a class action lawsuit to build here against eBay's practices since they do claim you are protected, unless you read the rules carefully.

I feel your pain, man. I was on the opposite end of the spectrum as you. I sent a high value package to a dude on eBay, who I found out later was a notorious scammer in my area. He claimed he never received it, it was scanned as delivered. He filed a claim, and the funds were reversed the next day. PayPal didn't even bother to investigate the matter. Just because there was no 'online viewable' signature confirmation. I proved to them that the dude went into the post office to sign for and pick up the package. I was on the phone with PayPal and eBay for hours, just telling them all these facts about how this guy is a huge scammer, and I straight up told them that they are facilitating massive theft, and explained how easy this was to manipulate. I told them how I could rip people off for thousands taking advantage of this loophole, and their response was just "I understand". . . you could just tell you were talking to a brick wall.

So, in situations like this. . . if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

never------LORD OF FLIES-----its like the emperor telling luke (i can feel your hate strike me with your hate)
there will always be a difference between me and these loosers-----

This has been mentioned many times, i dont understand why people still believe in ebay/paypal protection. All of this protection is just an ILLUSION, a marketing scheme to get people to use ebay/paypal.

Ebay/paypal will help you ONLY if they can recover the fund. Meaning if the scammer still has the fund in his paypal account then it will be locked and eventually returned to you. But in most cases, scammers transfer the money out right away, then ebay/paypal will NOT help you. Of course they will not say that but the process/recovery then becomes so convoluted(on purpose) you will never see your money. Same goes the other way with scammer buyers.

Only exception is they have an engine that calculates each customer's profitability, for example if you buy thousands $$ worth of stuff off ebay every month, then you are profitable to them and they will take a loss and pay you the money out of their own pocket (depends on the amount).

Ebay/paypla is one of the most despicable company on this planet but because they have a monopoly they can get away with it. I have been a top rated silver powerseller on ebay for many years but have stopped doing so because of all this and the insane fees they charge.

Your only true protection as an ebay buyer is to use a credit card via paypal to make the purchase, then you can do a chargeback through the credit card company (which is really on your side), bypassing all paypal/ebay bull****.

so the day you got the tracking number, it said it had already been delivered? If that's the case, seems like a obvious scam. You may be able to sue ebay, you should look into it.

so the day you got the tracking number, it said it had already been delivered? If that's the case, seems like a obvious scam. You may be able to sue ebay, you should look into it.

You can try to take them to small claim court if you got the time and energy and file with your state bbb. Probably wont get much out of it but you will make ebay waste money as they need to send those expensive corporate lawyers to deal with you.

Another reason never to buy anything from a 0 feedback seller.

So, just to be clear, does the scammer send an empty package to a store in the same city? Just has to have a value under $250, insured?

As a side note, for all those scammed upon, I wonder if there is a class action lawsuit to build here against eBay's practices since they do claim you are protected, unless you read the rules carefully.

it does not even matter if the member is new or old, we are screwed, all he would have to do is send a box of rubber bands with delivery con # to a taco bell near my house and that is it, there is no way to know what address, how much the boxed weighed or any confirmation----and yes we should all file a class action lawsuit and we would loose just like the women that sued walmart--------------big company do not follow law they make em i mean that dump lady that spent over a 100 million to be the governer for my state of cali the ex ebay president meg whitman------all scumsbags -------:gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah:

This sucks and I feel crap on your behalf that this happened. At the same time, isn't $250 a lot to drop on an item sold by a seller with 0 feedback?

You were thinking about what a great deal this was rather than the actual amount being asked. So $250 seemed like a bargain price, but nonetheless it's $250 - a substantial sum. That's how scammers get their foot in the door, by making you forget about the actual amount and instead focus on the bargain.

Ebay/paypal have got their faults and we obviously can't entrust them to be on our side 100% of the time. We buyers have to do everything we can to guard against scammers, and one of those measures would be to never, ever buy anything in the three-figure territory from a seller with poor or no feedback.:peace

also, the tracking should have the weight of the item on it. If your buying a relatively heavy item, and the tracking shows something way less then it should be, just provides more proof to your case.

Back