The most upset I have ever been with Sideshow Collectibles.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why start a set and not see it through? POINTLESS

Because they didnt sell. This business, like all businesses are about making money. If they dont make money, they cant continue. If you think the company is 100% for the fans, you're fooling yourself.

Now, I wont lie, they are a lot MORE for the fans then any other company i've seen. And Nam brings up a good point. They can create very low edition sizes...but if those dont sell...then what's the point in continueing?

Look at Hot Toys' Watchmen line. They made 2 figures...and not even the most popular character from the film. It's like if they did an X-Men movie line, and just made Rouge.

What I don't get about the Uni Horror stuff is that all of the dios sold out the whole ES each time. In fact, they went up in value right after they came out. That doesn't sound like a franchise that isn't selling to me.

I know the SSE Creature bust is still up, but busts tend to take longer to sell.

Maybe they feel certin characters wont sell. Frankenstine's monster and Drac would probably sell better then some obscure character few people have heard of.

But i'm just playing devil's advocate.

Maybe he thought you meant Basil Rathbone? :D

I would also have thought that a SoF Boris would be a sure seller. Shame, Sideshow is one of the few companies out there that seem to be able to do Universal Monsters right (the new Diamond select ones are terrible IMO), but we may have to wait for the next Classic Horror boom for Sideshow to want to play with the monsters again.

I don't think that they really care how much an item fetches on the secondary marked otherwise, since they can't earn no money on that (unless they buy stock in eBay)

Once the market for Star Wars and Marvel babes dry out... (which prolly will never happen), look at how quickly the majority of collectors lost interest in LOTR and Indy after those movies were released, which is a shame since these are lines that have so much more to give instead of Iron Man, Predator etc.

I still cross my fingers for a 1:1 Chaney Jr. Wolfman bust, but I expected it to have been released together with the Del Toro Movie. Also it is the 75th anniversay of Bride of Frankenstein, not even a diorama (but the year is not over yet :pray:)

We may see more Universal monster stuff, but I think it will be diorama's and LSB, which seems easier to produce and it's probably more satifying to create for the designers

I have the 12" color Son of F figure on my desk (standing on Triad's "Grave Danger" base). It's one Sideshow release that I don't feel needs a repaint. And it stands so well without support that I sometimes find myself wondering whatever happened to Sideshow. :confused:

What I don't get about the Uni Horror stuff is that all of the dios sold out the whole ES each time. In fact, they went up in value right after they came out. That doesn't sound like a franchise that isn't selling to me.

I know the SSE Creature bust is still up, but busts tend to take longer to sell.

Yes, but less and less. They pretty much killed any value in that by severely increasing the SSEs' ES with each release though. Frank and Wolf sold out like gangbusters. Dracula took a bit longer to sell out. But Creature seemed like he was up there forever because of the ballooned ES. And if you watch your auctions, he can be had from time to time at just over retail. I don't get that though because with the small ES (50) of Frank and Wolf, that should've stayed the benchmark. It did for Dracula and then Sideshow went and doubled it for Creature which didn't make sense. Two releases in, that 50 is your target audience with any releases after that.

You're right, nam, but I would argue that the fact that the dios, even with their inflated ES, did sell out at Sideshow and are still selling on ebay for at least retail value indicates that there is still a sustainable (if small by comparison) market for UM properties.

And I would add that I, too, find the labeling of Son of Frankenstein as an obscure character to be rather odd, as is the lumping together of that character with LAM (which is, obviously, a truly obscure character). The other examples given of products that Sideshow has green-lit (i.e., Prince of Persia and the Battle of Crete) only serve as ample proof that they are willing to gamble on smaller properties. Not everything needs to be a Marvel or Star Wars mega seller.

Last edited:
I hear ya, but to call Son of Frankenstein obscure while pimping a Jake Gyllenhaal'd Prince of Persia PF (with a box office flop backing it) is nothing short of ridiculous. :lol

I'm even willing to bet that an SoF PF would sell better than their latest Dead PF which has it's Ex back in stock. :lol

That is a perfect example. SoF would easily have sold out as quickly as ol' Decomporama (and probably quicker), but wouldn't be suffering the same level of cancellations after the fact. I was one of the UC cancelers, but I would never, EVER have canceled SoF.

I agree that Uni Horror PFs would probably do better than another Dead PF, or any of the SS Originals for that matter.

So? Then Sideshow could do their own line of Originals Monsters, I asked them about doing so long ago.

Dear Visitor, Thank you for submitting a question to our Sideshow Staff. We've received the following information:

License: other Question: Hey Sideshow, In light of your news that the design & concept of the Frankenstein The Revenant is likely to be reborn in another scale and… format, Has the Sideshow Team thought about doing a whole line of Sideshow "originals" Monsters?

Thanks
sideshowfreak

Perhaps in quantity, but lets not forget there is a hefty license to pay to Universal for their monsters. They dont have to pay that when they are using their own original license.:monkey3

On top of that add the hassle of getting approvals from the descendants of the various actors. Universal Monsters is not an expensive licensce, but it is difficult and very time-consuming getting approvals from different sources.

I would also have thought that a SoF Boris would be a sure seller.

Totally
would be. Color and b/w. It's been so long since we had a Uni PF, we are dying for a new one.

I still cross my fingers for a 1:1 Chaney Jr. Wolfman bust

Yes! Besides that one, I am waiting and waiting and waiting for a Chaney 1:1 PHANTOM !!! :impatient:

I asked for the Wolfman 1:1 bust last year at Spook. I was told at the time that there weren't any plans to do one...

Back