The Losing Intrest In Hot Toys Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question in regards to HT would be: How long before the constant rehashing of the same characters reaches its zenith, and they stop selling? Sooner or later even the die-hards are going to get sick of this business model that HT has adopted (same characters over and over with slight adjustments, reuse of sculpts, lazy sculpting on HS that don't always look like the actor/actress, less and less accessories, and increasingly higher prices). The bubbles going to burst at some point, and when it's all said and done, HT might be kicking themselves for not jumping on some of the licenses that other companies seem to be filling the void.

Yep I'm losing interest and that's because of prices and not being worth it anymore. I'm moving on but I do have Deadpool on order and even BVS Superman and thinking about getting Civil War Cap but other then that I'm stepping away unless another Arnie figure or Stallone figure show up. rather put my money towards other things like smaller figures, customs by me, statues, busts, props and cheaper sixth scale figures.

Most of the Hot Toys figures I still actually want are two, three, four years old. Once I get my hands on an Iron Man Mark IV I'll probably sell off some of my other Iron Man figures (not just the Hot Toys ones either) because that's the be-all, end-all for me. Other than that there's a couple of Terminator figures I wouldn't mind picking up, the old Bespin Luke DX and maybe Batman '89.

Unless they make a Jetstream Sam to go with Raiden, a Clarence Boddicker to go with Robocop and some classic Metal Gear figures, there's nothing on their release slate that interests me beyond 'oh hey the sculpting and paint on that look nice'. I've actually ended up collecting far more 1/12 figures recently, Mezco have been doing interesting things with their One:12 Collective line and Bandai's SH Figuarts line has been absolutely killing it with the Star Wars licence and eclectic stuff like Bruce Lee and Freddie Mercury.

Between prices, endless variants of the same character, and not much there that I want, I'm pretty much done except for a few new ones. I know I'm gonna probably sell my TASM Spider-Man for Civil War Spider-Man, maybe Man of Steel Superman due to BvS, and Naked Snake solely for the money. Really it's prices, my job blows and I have other figures that are cheaper but still great that I want more.

I'm mostly in it for a few older figures like 89 Batman, though recently a few replacements for a bunch of Hot Toys popped up too, when Hot Toys was, at my times, my only option for a high quality figure of a certain character. I have NECA Keaton Batman for HT 1989 Batman, Figuarts Bruce Lee for the HT Bruce Lee(s), and Mezco for a few upcoming ones.

I am not interesting anymore with marvel. Not only the movie is rehash, HT also rehash it. Really lose interest , I had entire Avengers team but sold it all. Also how US dollar exchange much stronger over my currency is a deal breaker. Jobs and expense also thigh, there are more important things in life than just mere plastic toys. Also I am feel HT or 1/6 in general become more and more mainstream and less unique. Remember 10 years ago, ultra realistic 1/6 figures like HT are so unique and we always excited over HT release. Like now it's just meh...

I was getting tired of the endless ironman and marvel variants but the overproduction and reissues/ 2nd runs are the bigger issue for me.. Why are they increasing supply and raising prices?? Isnt that counterintuitive?? Are they trying to flood the market with these things??? If they want to be hasbro 2.0 they should be lowering prices not raising them.. seriously there isnt much appeal for a collector that likes having something unique or limited anymore.. Long gone are the days of the godfather and leonidas, OR feeling like you own something unique or special... why do they even do preorders anymore??? They don't sell out and in the rare cases they do they will just produce more.. people will have a hard time explaining to their wives that these 200+ figures are just as worthless as the $20 hasbro ones... it's not about collecting for value or investment it's about completely throwing away money. Utility is great but I don't like the idea of not being able to recoup some of my cost and accepting significant decrease in value upfront because the figures are common worthless junk. It's too much to spend... IMO collectibles should be somewhat rare otherwise what's the point of collecting... I'm sure I'll still cherry pick a few figures (bvs figures ,deadpool and some star wars) but that's about it. I am done with the endless marvel gravy train.

Last edited:
i don't understand why people buy their items based on manufacturers. personally i don't care about HT, but i buy their products if it suits my taste. if another company does better, i'll buy from that company.

I'm with potato, I buy what I like, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.

So no, I'm not sick of them.

I'm with potato, I buy what I like, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.

:lecture

But certain companies seem to have their own band of protective sycophants who will support them to the ends of the earth no matter what. And that's when the arguments generally start on the boards. :lol

I pick and choose. I don't care who makes it, because if I like it enough I'll buy it. Each figure stands on its own merits.

Planning on just completing the Age of Ultron line (Hulkbuster and Mark 45 is what's left on PO) and then wait for the BvS figures I have on PO (Tech cowl collectors set, armored batman, and Wonder Woman), Deadpool, and Drax. After which I'll take a break and wait for Justice League and Infinity Wars. Maybe I'll pick up Harley and Joker from SS. I originally wanted to PO their MGS PP figures but who knows when they'll announce them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end of the day, the ultimate decision maker will become your available space. No perfection of sculpt nor drop in price will give you more space to display.

The only people who feel they are "tired" of HT are the ones running out of space and/or running out of cash for the hobby.

You can add another type - the ones who get burnt out.

I'm not into Marvel or Star Wars stuff, and I didn't like that they started doing new versions of older figures. I just got tired of it all... Sure, cost was a factor - as prices went up, our Canadian dollar went down, making it even worse - but I was pretty much done with it before all that.

I am done with hot toys.
I have changed my collecting habits based on funds and what you actually get for your buck
these days I am loving the "under dogs"
for Example I recently picked DAM GANGSTERS KINGDON "MARSHAL" for 150.00
I seriously cant remember when my 1/6 were so cheap

As far as Hot Toys goes, I'm mostly priced out. If they made Doc Brown -then I'm all in.

I like seeing what they produce, but lets face it. They are top of the market price wise and I'm sure prices will only continue to rise. I'm happy with what I own already and am happy to sit back and admire from this point.

I'm definitely done with ht after my next round of purchases. I'll pick up armoured batman the signal and the batmobile and then i'm done for good with them. I think ht is slowly but surely becoming too expensive and predictable to deal with. Added to the fact that they seem to left the franchises which i'm most interested in and which once made them so popular i.e terminator, aliens, predator etc by the wayside. Maybe if they went back to the classic licenses and provided 1/4 representations of them id be interested but currently the way ht are going with the constant re-releases of marvel figures and the ever increasing prices means little interest from my point of view. There's so much more they could do from the classic licenses such as die hard, jaws, ghostbusters, lethal weapon,aliens or mad max yet they continue to focus on marvel or star wars. Its just so frustrating, Enough with the marvel already! i mean we can get the 150th iteration of iron man mark whatever but can't get a remake of the aliens colonial marines!!

I agree with what others say about Hot toys. About 5 - 8 years ago they were a great company to deal with and had great licenses. They used to make collecting fun and exciting. They didn't release too many products a year but those they did were classics like predator and terminator, dark knight etc but nowadays they've become about making money and pumping out figures en mass rather then spending time to perfect unique licenses like they once did. One release follows another almost weekly and frankly its the same old star wars or marvel dross. Its all become so meh and predictable. There's no excitement anymore. Its just a case of seen it all before...

rant over...

Last edited:
To date I love each and every HT I own and I think its because I have been very selective with what I have purchased (see signature). That being said there is nothing in the current HT calendar that I have any interest in. Which mean that to date I am retired from HT’s. Sure they are a few I would love to own but it is very hard to justify paying over $350 - $400 for something that “I would like”.

I’m 40 so my collection is built more towards nostalgia and opposed to the next big budget movie released, so I have zero interest with new releases.

Also I do miss the DX experience

I was never a big collector of HT, but as time has gone on, I have been less and less interested in the licences that they now focus on. That and Phicen (now my favourite 1/6 company) knocking it out of the park with their female figures.

The last time I was seriously buzzing about a HT figure was when they announced the BD RoboCop/Murphy two pack. I never got the figures but damn that was a good time.

Yes and no for me. I can see my collection rounding out..ie being complete. I've collected most of my favorite characters (Marvel, DC, SW, Pred and Term) so I don't see getting more. The last few on my list are Drax, Deadpool and Wonder Woman (possibly Bats if they improve his suit like they improved Man of Steel).

If they start doing Jedi and Sith, that might pull me back in since their headsulpts will be much better than the SSC jedi/sith

Back