The Losing Intrest In Hot Toys Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are a few reasons why I am losing interest in the figures

- Recycled Head Sculpts on repeat characters
- Price increase
- No exciting or new licenses

I first started collecting HT (circa Berserker Predator and T-600). It was a few month before T-800 Tech Noir would be released for $170. This price felt affordable with the value “whats in the box” the figure provided. Today it is very tough to even consider TG T-800. Great figure but at $360 (CAN)………your priced right out!!!

And then you turn around and see another CA, Falcon, Hawkeye, etc…..

Not losing interest, but not automatically hitting the order button either. Price increases, redos and a few lackluster pieces have given me reason to pause on things like the 5th version of Black Widow, the 3rd version of Hawkeye and the 50th version of Iron Man. I'll probably pick them up, but am more tempted to wait for in-hand reviews and codes. I'd like to see them pick up the X-Men license.

I've lost interest only because I think I have everything I want

HT Vader is cheaper than SS Vader locally. States side companies also seem to put more effort in design and packaging and pay everyone down the line "fairly", as opposed to mass production factories, knock-offs/unlicensed products (etc) from China (et al).

My eye is on mezco, macfarlane and four horsemen for very exciting 1/12 scale figures. Especially mezco for marvel and dc, i wont even consider hot toys for that anymore, which is pretty much all they do now.
The future of 1/6 could be Star Ace, Asmus if they get to grips with head sculpts, Phicen for weird stuff plus others like VTS and ACI for their take on things.
Then there is onsixthkit who seems to pull little gems out of nowhere i never knew i wanted

I think there are a few reasons why I am losing interest in the figures

- Recycled Head Sculpts on repeat characters
- Price increase
- No exciting or new licenses

That's the problem right there. Almost every release is just a new version of existing characters, which is to be expected, but they need some new licenses to keep things fresh.

Ive lost interest because they are too predictable with their Marvel, DC and Star Wars now. They have licenses, but they end up getting cancelled or delayed for years.
Oh how it used to be before Ironman and the rest of the Avengers. Used to be fun to collect with new and fresh figures and licenses. They milked the hell out of TDK too, but once in a while they made some new cool stuff to freshen up the line like the vehicles, armory, bat-signal, 1/4 etc.

Last edited:
I broke down and picked up the TFA Tie Pilot at Wondercon this weekend. I am hugely disappointed with the build quality of the head/hose. It is just a singular piece of cheap plastic. The head is hollow but cannot turn due to the rigid hose that connects to the chest box and the whole thing just feels cheap. The flight suit itself is a nice material but the hard armor pieces are a real let down. The gun is a bit silly and with no holster has no where to go other than in his hand.

It would have been nice to have the lenses a noticeably different material and if the blast shield was movable would be nice too. Overall I feel they are really cheaping out on their new figures based on this as well as the cast leg wraps on ANH Luke and Han's buckling boots. I hope Leia's dress is better in person that it looks.

20160329_075241.jpg
20160329_075316.jpg
20160329_075327.jpg

I'm almost done for now. I have a Black Widow being shipped now, and I'm not far away from a Terminator being shipped, which will give me 16 sixth scales, and Deadpool a few months away.

Unless I start leaving them boxed or do something seriously different with shelving, I really need to leave it that. But I'll no doubt pick up one or two I can't resist in the next year or two.

My Schwarzenegger line is pretty well complete without sourcing old, overly expensive figures.. Although I could possibly add the upcoming Endo, as it would fit the collection well.
My Thor line is complete without picking up the ridiculously overpriced Loki I'm missing, or an Odin which just isn't up to modern figure standards.

If they add to either of those themes, I won't be able to not buy them. A new Thor movie is coming. I see a minimum of two characters on my hit list there..

My Avenger Collection is complete enough for me. Six core characters, five from one movie, with double ups of two of them. I don't think I need the allies or minor characters from that movie. A new diecast IM from IM2 or Avengers I will no doubt buy. I'm staying away from Civil War. I'll probably pick up the second Scarlet Witch from AoU, or maybe the Civil War version if one is ever made though. A new Star-Lord possibly?, and anything else depends on what future MCU reveals we get, but I'm not collecting multiple lines of the same characters.

Then there is my main centre attraction with the quarter scale Iron Man. My impulsive side wants the next one, but it is weighed the other way by costs this hobby is costing me, the lack of display room, and to be honest adding another one I think might take the sheen off having him.

Your loss. Maybe the best figure they've produced.

I really need to get my head out of my ass and buy that two-pack when I've got some spare cash. From what I can tell they produced a pretty low run compared to the regular Robocop and ED-209. I suspect that'll be one of the only recent releases to hold/go up in value over time.

I also want to pick up the original MMS 120 War Machine. Prefer it to the Diecast version they've announced.

My biggest issue with HT at this point is the careless attitude toward facial likeness, some less than stellar tailoring and cost-cutting measures in material selection and construction (casting of parts that should be fabric or pleather, poor fabric selection, etc.)

WRT licenses I'm in the same boat as many others above - I'm just not interested in some of the stuff they're producing - but I don't attribute that as a fault against the company necessarily since they're trying to target what's hot. It's a shame they're not doing a bit more with less popular licenses, but given their bandwidth it's not unexpected.

Last edited:
Lost interest as I have all the figures I want, about 10 of em

Been collecting for 12+ years now, and I have to say that even though the spectacle of HT has died down, I still maintain some significant excitement over new figures and accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After seeing Beetlejuice and the new Luke, maybe we need a losing interest in Sideshow thread...

I basically moved to 1/4 scale and statues. Looking at some of the pricing of 1/6 figures I find better value in "some" statues. It's just that space becomes a concern, but you know what "less is more" I'm happy with my collection. The Delorean is my favorite HT YTD. Not to many more HT on PO this year for me.

Back