The League of Extraordinary Gentle...Women?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the leader of the group in the comic was a woman, and the first movie was beyond terrible, so no big whoop to me. New movie will probably suck though, because filmmakers have a hard time making Alan Moore's work really translate on the screen.

jtn8c.jpg

Yeah, the leader of the group in the comic was a woman, and the first movie was beyond terrible, so no big whoop to me. New movie will probably suck though, because filmmakers have a hard time making Alan Moore's work really translate on the screen.
Same. Can't get myself excited because I have no fate in Hollywood, but MAYBE this time it'll be better.

Are posts rooted in misogyny, homophobia, racism, and transphobia "civil"?

That isn't for you to decide. Your job is to follow the code of conduct if you want to participate in these threads. If you feel that any member is contributing to a toxic environment then you can notify a moderator instead of taking matters into your own hands and getting a thread locked or yourself infracted.

The Ween, the only other woman in this thread, is the only other person who appears to have actually read and thought about what was being reported rather than just reacting for the sake of reacting with a stream of totally unrelated homophobic, racist, and transphobic remarks. So much for which is the more rational sex.

I feel like your rhetoric is grossly exaggerating the statements made in this thread. You throw around words like "homophobic," "transphobic," and "racist," like they mean nothing; I don't know if you realize this or not, but the frivolity of your using those words undermines their importance. I'm sick of it, frankly, because it's ****ing everywhere on the Internet. I'm sorry to say this, but the world is not colorblind. You can be tolerant without being oblivious, but, at the end of the day, whether circumstance, or the time in which he was created, or social norms dictated why James Bond, when he was first created, was white, time has cemented him in the public consciousness as a white, British male.

It may not be fair, and it may not be just, but, when you've had over 50 years of content telling them otherwise, I hardly see how individuals not being able to disassociate James Bond from being Caucasian makes them racist. I'm merely citing that as an example, as I'm sure you were, no doubt, referring to the "Tyler Perry as James Bond" joke that someone made, as one of the "racist remarks." Same deal with the "transphobic" and "homophobic remarks." In an age where you see a news story every other day about abuse perpetrated against African Americans by someone in a position of authority, or about a Trans person being the victim of a hate crime, perhaps, you and your fellow gung-ho "progressives" should prioritize and pick your battles accordingly.

I feel like your rhetoric is grossly exaggerating the statements made in this thread. You throw around words like "homophobic," "transphobic," and "racist," like they mean nothing; I don't know if you realize this or not, but the frivolity of your using those words undermines their importance.... you and your fellow gung-ho "progressives" should prioritize and pick your battles accordingly.

This news story was about Mina Harker being the lead character, as in the original graphic novel, versus her treatment in the film. Same-sex relationships (Brokeback Mountain), racial politics (James Bond), and trans people have NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. And yet, here you are yelling at me for reacting to other people, who of their own volition, inserted those topics into the discussion. I didn't start the "battle"; I just voiced criticism of certain views.

At least from what I've read, looks like people here were being derogatory towards the concept as opposed to any gender/race/preference specifically.

I don't want to see "Bond" played by a woman or a transgender any more or less than I want to see "Salt" played by a man or transgender.

Perhaps there is a new "reboot" mentality spreading in Hollywood that is taking male-driven stories and remaking them with females. "Dirty Dozen" and "Usual Suspects" might be next.

At least from what I've read, looks like people here were being derogatory towards the concept as opposed to any gender/race/preference specifically.

I don't want to see "Bond" played by a woman or a transgender any more or less than I want to see "Salt" played by a man or transgender.

Perhaps there is a new "reboot" mentality spreading in Hollywood that is taking male-driven stories and remaking them with females. "Dirty Dozen" and "Usual Suspects" might be next.

:exactly: :goodpost: :exactly: :goodpost:

Clearly people are expressing frustration over so many characters being reassigned race, sex, orientation etc to appear more PC and inclusive.

Not wading into the male/female thing. It doesn't matter a bit to me. All that matters is whether the movie is any good.

And I have my doubts they'll be able to manage that. The last time they tried to make this movie, they pretty much left a smoking crater in the earth.

I read the first couple collections of the comics and found the concept cool as hell. But here's what I wonder ... is it too late to do this concept now? After all, Showtime basically took the same idea and ran with it -- making a pretty terrific show with Penny Dreadful. (Which is also anchored by a pretty amazing actress delivering a consistently great performance.)

Not wading into the male/female thing. It doesn't matter a bit to me. All that matters is whether the movie is any good.

And I have my doubts they'll be able to manage that. The last time they tried to make this movie, they pretty much left a smoking crater in the earth.

I read the first couple collections of the comics and found the concept cool as hell. But here's what I wonder ... is it too late to do this concept now? After all, Showtime basically took the same idea and ran with it -- making a pretty terrific show with Penny Dreadful. (Which is also anchored by a pretty amazing actress delivering a consistently great performance.)

this would be better as a tv series like you point out with penny dreadful they are too similar :mad:

Back