The Indy Premium Format Figure Countdown/Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a response...no replacements left so they recommended sealing the jacket before it falls apart any further and offered me a whopping $20 discount on any pending order I have. BS offer...makes me want to cancel my other orders if that is the best they can do.

Uh oh. That's not good. I see the villagers sharpening their pitchforks!

What did they recommend you seal it with by the way?

Here is the main part of the e-mail. The link doesn't really help at all since it doesn't go to a specific product.

Thank you for your patience while I have investigated your inquiry.

I wanted to follow up with you regarding your Indiana Jones PF figure. Unfortunately, we no longer have replacements available for this item. As such, I wanted to provide a couple of suggestions from our production team. We recommend using a clear sealant to seal the jacket and prevent further deterioration. I suggest wearing plastic gloves and applying the sealant using your finger or a small paint brush. For more information on our recommended sealant, please follow the link below:

https://www.supergluecorp.com/products.html .

As a courtesy, we would also like to offer you a $20.00 discount on a future order. Please confirm if you would like to take advantage of this discount and which order you would like to apply the discount to before August 6th, 2011

As always, please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Lame...

So I assume they're directing us towards "Pro Seal" with that link, but what product of theirs?

Here was my e-mail response to their e-mail.

Do you have a direct link to what ever sealant you are talking about? The link just takes me to a page with all kinds of super glue products.

Truthfully, as a long time customer of Sideshow, I find a $20 discount rather insulting if I am expected to go drive somewhere to purchase some kind of sealant and seal an expensive product that should not be disintegrating on it's own due to a manufacturing defect. That $20 discount probably won't even cover the gas and cost of the sealant not to mention my time to go get these products and then apply the product. I will still have a noticeable defect right on the front of the statue. The jacket would have been fine if the wrist on the jacket would have been stitched at the factory like all the other areas on the jacket instead of being glued to save money on the manufacturing costs. The rest of the jacket is nice and supple unlike the glued cuffs. I am now extremely worried about my other PF's like the Bucky Captain America where the pleather suit is glued to the body or the jackets on the Cyclops and Rouge PF's (both of which I currently have on order). Will those start falling apart in a few years too? I apparently will have to reevaluate some of my current PF orders and any future orders since they apparently won't hold up more than a few years.

Thank you,

Mainly it will just hold it all together so it won't crumble on sealants applied to cloth. I can say that most sealants will just leave clothing/leather/etc... crispier/intact though.

I think the best solution would be for Sideshow to make new jackets (without the glue) and offer them at a modest price. Emails could go out to orders on record for this product for the first wave, etc.

I know we shouldn't have to pay any more $$ for a product that's slightly defective, but I think this would (ultimately) be an amicable solution.

...and with purchase of the jacket they could include the $20 gift card.

Ouch, that isn't a satisfying compensation at all. I'm guessing that eventually every single Raiders PF's jacket will have this problem, so it's no surprise there aren't enough in stock to replace the entire run. Why don't they have a new batch of jackets produced and make them available to everyone who has the jacket issue, including instructions on how and where to saw of one of the arms and glue it back again? I realize not everybody will have the modelling skills, or ambitions to do this, but for a lot of us this would solve the issue and we could live happily ever after with our Indy PF.

Here was my e-mail response to their e-mail.

I have this PF, and many, many others, and it often worries me that at some point items that cost $300-$1000 may or may not hold up. Yes, I know before I get flamed, such is life and nothing lasts forever, but having worked with clay, resins, glues, and paints for some time.. one never knows how these items will react (in the long term), with cloth, leather and certain plastics. I found it a bit odd that the link sideshow provides was just a link to a page. I know it most likely is the pro-seal, but maybe it's not.... a bit more clarity certainly would not hurt.

I'm also a huge fan of Sideshow and definitely don't take aim at them every chance I get. I know it's a business to them and a hobby to most of us, but with that being said everyone of "us" here are investors in "their" business and "we" help "them" stay in business. I think our money, time, and enthusiasm in their business is worth a bit more than $20 bucks and a lame link.... this is certainly not just an isolated issue. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but it would better if these kinds of things didn't happen at all. Well I'm off my soapbox now...:)

Ouch, that isn't a satisfying compensation at all. I'm guessing that eventually every single Raiders PF's jacket will have this problem, so it's no surprise there aren't enough in stock to replace the entire run. Why don't they have a new batch of jackets produced and make them available to everyone who has the jacket issue, including instructions on how and where to saw of one of the arms and glue it back again? I realize not everybody will have the modelling skills, or ambitions to do this, but for a lot of us this would solve the issue and we could live happily ever after with our Indy PF.
I agree that people deserve free jacket replacements....I'm just saying that most companies aren't going to spend the $$ to provide that level of satisfaction. The new jacket shouldn't be priced at more than $50 AND a Gift card should definitely be offered with it (The more amount on the card, the better). If they were to offer a $50 gift card with it, it still would only be good toward the GC eligable product that they're trying to move anyway. We would get jackets that we wouldn't' have to worry about and Sideshow moves some product.

Yikes, I'm worried.

Mines painted by Boot25 and one of my favorite pieces, just checked it and luckily nothing wrong, no flaking, no stiffness, rubbed it a little between my fingers and its fine.

Still I'm thinking now maybe I should just sell it while I can knowing it has no damage so I could get out with a clean conscious before anything does happen. :gah:

I agree with you Mark, I posted just a few seconds later then your post. I wouldn't mind if I had to pay for the jacket, as long as it's reasonable. $50 sounds OK to me.

...and while they're at it, they could actually fix the length/color of the jacket, making it a desirable product for all PF owners.
I would just rather see this happen than force people to pay $200 for a custom 1/4 jacket from someone that can't mass produce them in a timely manner.

Except you have to break the arm to get the jacket on do you not?

They expect everyone to pay to break their crumbling defective products so they can fix a part of it and leave the rest damaged?

They already lost this one. All they can do is clean up and learn.

Disappointing response, but I'm not surprised. I'm afraid to apply any kind of product to the jacket as it might make it worse than what it already is. Will a sealant work, even in the short term? I can't bring myself to sell my PF despite the fact that the jacket will deteriorate at some point down the line. I guess I'll just have to play Russian roulette with this one.

Wow. A $20.00 discount? Really?

I checked my Indy yesterday and it's still okay but I'm worried that over time it will begin to deteriorate and ruin the whole statue.

I don't want to use any type of sealer because I'm afraid I'll screw up the jacket.

If worse comes to worse...I'll neatly cut off the jacket and Indy will become Cario Indy.

That is a little disappointing. But it still goes back to the question of how long Sideshow should be liable for their product. I mean, they can't be responsible for their stuff forever, can they?

Still, $20 seems pretty tacky.

I wonder if those that still don't have damage should head this off at the pass and undo the glue, clean it completely off, and sew the hem.

About the sealer, do you guys think it will work? Because the glue is inside the jacket and you can't prevent the glue touching the leather with sealer on the outside.

I agree that you can't hold SS responsible for their products forever, but it is their business to deliver non-faulty products and they should have know about the leather/ glue combination. If stuff started falling of my PF in over 6/7 years, I might start to understand. On the other hand, I have a few collectibles over 20 years old and they still look completely fresh, as long as I take good care of them. I would expect the same applying to a collectible that's cost over $250.

$20 discount....pfft...:pfft:...how bout a complete refund. You can have it back, just cover shipping and give me back what I paid.

And even if they offered a replacement jacket, which would never happen anyway, you would have to break the premium format to get the jacket on :duh

Bottom line: DUMP YOUR INDY PF WHILE YOU CAN! :lecture

At least mine isnt crumbling, yet.

I was thinking about selling my Indy and Mola earlier this year, now I have more reason to do so.

Really ____ed up this one Sideshow. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

how easy is it to break indys arm to replace the jacket? what would be the best way to go about this to get a nice clean break?

cheers

Back