The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't see it because it was very organic and not forced. :)

To someone who hasn't read the books those scenes don't stick out at all.

I read the book and I still didn't find it a big deal. Sure, Leggy has the hots for her, and she eyes Kili, but other than that, not much to it.

The purists who haven't seen the movie are making it out to be like the Twilight love triangle or something. :monkey4

Kate the xena warrior elf was an acceptable added character, the forced love triangle was nonsense that should have been trimmed.

People complain about the added story stuffing and padding, but the more I think about it the more I believe it will all pay off in the end.

The Battle of Five Armies could very well benefit form all the stuffing Jackson did in those films. If "Hobbit" was made only as a single movie then The Battle of Five Armies would be just that...a battle. But with Jackson's approach, with all those "political" subplots between the different races and nations battling over resources of Erebor and Smaug that he stuffed in the first two films, the five armies battle might serve as a much more cathartic climax for a number of different themes and sublots. Like a one big Middle Earth Reunion between different factions and nations that are much more fleshed out than they would've been in case of a single film. Even Orc characters such as Azog could finally come into their own and serve as a proper villian over the course of all three films, rather than the fake, "semi-villian" stuffed in to artificially fatten up the story, which is how many people viewed him in UJ.

So personally I don't mind the very idea of extra stuff, just the execution which is sometimes crude and too ponderous.

These Lego sets from last year just became sooo much more awesome. :lol

image1_79001-big.jpg

image1_79004-big.jpg

A question to those that said Smaug appears better than the trailer shots.

Do You mean that CGI render simply looks better and more realistic, or did You noticed some design changes made to him, other than removal of his forelimbs?

A question to those that said Smaug appears better than in the trailer shots.

Do You mean that CGI render simply looks better and more realistic, or did You noticed some design changes made to him, other than removal of the forelimbs?

Not sure on the design but it was so much more realistic looking that it seemed like a different dragon head to me. I'd have to see the trailer and movie side by side to really judge.

All I know is that he looked MUCH better than this:

Thehobbit-smaug-blog630-jpg_201437.jpg

wow a lot are ripping this to bits and hate it on other forums, they must hate life or something?:lol for me this was like watching Raiders of the lost ark for the first time. a great film.

Not sure on the design but it was so much more realistic looking that it seemed like a different dragon head to me. I'd have to see the trailer and movie side by side to really judge.

All I know is that he looked MUCH better than this:

Thehobbit-smaug-blog630-jpg_201437.jpg

Spoiler Spoiler:

I went into this movie this afternoon having never seen the trailers, never read anything, and never entered this thread ( my first time is now). This is something I do when I know I am going to watch a particular movie. enjoyed it. Loved whatever stuffing they added that not from the book. Amazing so entertained. Thanks again PJ. Look forward to the day I can watch the trilogy over and over again at home just like LOTR!!!

Spoiler Spoiler:

Agreed and
Spoiler Spoiler:

So got a chance to see this earlier today, overall I liked it but could have done w/o so much of the additives. Honestly in watching it I can see how they could have kept closer to the book and just made the 2 films... with 3 films (and close to 8 total hours) it seems like they're just stretching it way too much.

But having said that, I still really enjoyed this one and look forward to the final chapter.

Agreed and
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back