The Hobbit or the other film?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which are you looking forward to the most?

• The Hobbit

Votes: 49 81.7%
  • Other Film

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
I think I'm in the same boat with Tom and Wetanut.

As much as I love The Hobbit and CAN'T WAIT to see Smaug brought to life, my curiousity to see how they work the 2nd film is killing me!

Oh... and Viggo's in it. :drool

'xactly.
Hobbit is not my favorite Tolkien book, but I'm very excited about revisiting the Shire and Middle-earth. My interest is piqued on how GDT and PJ work up the bridge from Hobbit to LOTR using only those bits gleaned from descriptors in both of those books as well as the appendices. (and hopefully keeping clear of Christopher Tolkien's and the Tolkien Trust's inevitable attempts to sue for using anything that's in or even implied in Sil, HoME, etc. ) I'm imagining fireworks and potential delays.

I do love The Hobbit but like you and I talked the other day what could/may happen in the second film is very intriguing. The realm of possibilities wiith what they can use still seems rather endless.

If he's not, well then...

thth143cca4e.gif

:lol

Aren't they both the Hobbit? Just split into two parts.

Well KD i think i may owe you a :duff as i believe you could be right as reported by 2fetters on another site.

It appears that the original thoughts of using the movie as a sort of bridge to tie The Hobbit and LOTR together have been replaced with having the Hobbit spread over two films.

https://www.cinematical.com/2008/10/08/the-hobbit-is-one-movie-in-two-parts/

Middle Earth fanatics have long debated what the heck this whole "second Hobbit movie" would entail. Arguably, there's enough material for a prequel, with Gandalf leading battles into Mirkwood to fight Sauron, who was slowly rebuilding his dark kingdom. But recent news has suggested it is more of a Hobbit sequel, where Tolkien's material is scarcer.

Well, MTV News caught up with director Guillermo del Toro, who attempted to shed a little light on the topic. "The reality is that we stopped talking the first movie and second movie, and we just started taking about the movie - the two episodes, or two parts, as if they were a single piece of narrative. We don't even call it the bridge movie, we just call it 'The Movie.' And this is great. When we found what reverberated, and we found it in one of our virtual meetings -- we understood. It's a movie. We all agree that if we do our job right, it should all feel like a continuous journey. That's what we're striving for."

Is that any clearer? No, I didn't think so. But actually, del Toro dropped one hint, one riddle in the dark that might just solve everything -- he let slip where the first movie would end. "We are finding out. I think Smaug dies in the first movie. So draw your own conclusions."

And my conclusion would be that with Smaug's death concluding the first movie, the second would deal with the Battle of the Five Armies, where everyone from elves to the men of Esgaroth have an eye on claiming Smaug's gold. It's pretty epic and vicious, and could easily take up an entire movie. In fact, I'm not sure how they could get all of that into one Hobbit film. I think this is going to turn out to be a sensible move that does the book justice -- not the cash grab we all took it for.

I guess we wont really know what the exact details will be until much closer to the films being finished.

Whilst i know this film cannot stand up next to LOTR i am hoping it is somewhere up there and not like most of the fantasy films that we see these days.I have my concerns but we will see.

Heres a new article from the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ures/the-battle-for-middle-earth-1242192.html

Last edited:
I'm sure both will be good
Not sure if they will be as successful as LOTR but I guess we will have to wait and see :D

My biggest concern is whether they will have Christopher Lee reprising Saruman...I hope he cameos but according to Wiki, he's pushing 87yrs old...:monkey2

I basically know what to expect of The Hobbit, but the second film has me very interested in seeing what they will choose to do. Lots of potential there...

Maybe they'll throw in Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights, which I'm sure we've all been waiting for.

Since I have no clue to what the other movie will be about, I have to say The Hobbit. The cartoon version has made an impression in my memmory since childhood and I would love to see them make this into a feature film.

I hope they both get made...but if I had to choose one, it would be The Hobbit......just cause I've read the book so many times (like I did with LOTR) and I would love to see what they did with it. And pray that it's as good as LOTR was. :lol

I have to go with the second movie - I love the appendix! No seriously :banana
The sorcerer in Mirkwood turning out to be Sauron! Saruman's initial treachery. All gold and all happening around the time of the Hobbit.
Its too bad they have to watch out about incorporating the Unfinished Tales...

Back