The Godfather

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A work of art.

It's as simple as that.

If only they would give us Michael and a DeNiro Vito as well. Leave it at just those three and I would be on cloud nine.

That could simply be because it's not buttoned.

Maybe - although it's mostly looking a bit large around the shoulders to me, so not sure that's a buttoning problem. Regardless, I hope this is delayed quite a lot and comes later this year - give my wallet (and maybe even the Aussie dollar, but I think that's wishful thinking) some time to recover from TDK, Iron Man, having to get my Macbook Air fixed and getting my wisdom teeth yanked out - right now my cheeks/jaw look just like the Don!

C'mon SS release the 1:1 bust or I am going to have to cave on the dollie --- though that term is VERY loosely applied in this case! :horror :drool :google

Again, I don't mean to be a buzzkill but there's probably a reason why all "Godfather" merchandise released so far has been Brando.

Either that's all the license covers or there's a problem with Pacino and they aren't willing to further explore the line without being able to do Michael.

Pacino wouldn't allow his likeness to be used in the "Godfather" game. Granted, that didn't stop the game but there's a difference between replacing Pacino with a generic character among many recognizable characters with authentic likenesses and minimizing his appearances in a $60 game and rolling out a line of high-end collectibles (each of which would cost two or three times as much as the game) and not being able to do Pacino as Michael.

Doing Brando as Vito over and over gets a bit tedious (McFarlane did the 5" figure and the 3-D poster, Sideshow did the PF, Hot Toys and Enterbay are doing 12" figures, Dark Horse has a bust, etc.) but you still really can't complain. He's the most recognizable character in the series (and arguably in film, period) and is what obviously comes to mind when you think "The Godfather" but the second you make another character and it's not Michael you have a problem. It goes from being a perfect 1-character license to a seriously-flawed multi-figure line.

Of all the companies with the license McFarlane probably had the best shot at doing several characters (you'd be able to buy Vito, Michael, Sonny, Fredo, Tom, Clemenza, Tessio, Luca, Neri and Rocco from McFarlane for what the 1 Hot Toys figure will cost) but they didn't.

The game proves that practically every likeness but Pacino is available. There are a few characters not featured in the game (particularly the major female roles, Kay, Connie, Mama etc.) but when you're talking about characters that are natural action figure choices as well they're all in there but Pacino.

I really just think there's a problem with Pacino and that essentially stops everything and anything beyond Vito dead in its tracks. There has to be some reason why such a rich license has been confined to a single character without fail as long as it's been available for merchandising.

The problem with that game is that Pacino signed exclusive likeness rights to the Scarface game. Obviously there have been plently of Scarface figures with Pacino's likeness but nothing from anything else. I'm starting to wonder if that contract applied to more than just the game.

From what I heard, he would have done the game but the contract prevented him from doing it.

Yeah, I had brought up the exclusive "Scarface" thing earlier.

Until we learn otherwise I think it's a pretty safe assumption that this issue is responsible for the lack of merchandise from the "Godfather" license covering Michael and beyond. It certainly makes sense.

There's also that new "Godfather II" game coming out on February 27 and we get the generic "JFK Jr." Michael from the first game still even though there's no new "Scarface" game to mess things up again.

It could very well be that Universal is willing to pay him more for "Scarface" than Paramount is willing to pay for "The Godfather". It's really an apples-and-oranges scenario. "Scarface" truly is a 1-character line that lives and dies by Pacino's involvement whereas "The Godfather" is something that would certainly be better with Pacino's likeness but can still exist as a Brando-only line (though again, anything beyond that doesn't work without Michael).

There's also the ego thing where Michael/Pacino will always play second fiddle to Vito/Brando (albeit a very close second) as opposed to being the uncontested center of attention on "Scarface".

But yeah, ultimately I can't see how doing a Michael figure is within the reach of all the companies who hold the "Godfather" license only to have them opt not to do it. The more you think about it the more apparent it becomes that they can't do Michael.

Back