The Force Awakens - Figure discussion (with SPOILERS!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually now that I think of it, I know plenty of 501st guys who have clone kits and are older than me. So it can't just be an age thing. I mean it can still be enjoyed. But if we can agree that it was made for kids, then we can agree there and that's enough for me. Because I think that's enough to explain why it doesn't feel the same for me and I don't enjoy it. It's not the same rhythm of the original star wars. So in that way of thinking... Original Star Wars was made for everyone. TFA was made for everyone. Prequels are for kids? But it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. What's funny is that my older brother really enjoyed the Prequels LOL. I guess it just comes down to how people enjoy star wars. I guess people enjoy it or treasure it in different ways. But TFA was definitely the star wars I was looking for.

The original trilogy was made for kids. Lucas has been quoted as saying he made Star Wars for a generation of kids growing up without fairy tales. Which is true if you cosnsider how bleak, moody, and dark cinema of the 1970s was. Star Wars has always been made for kids whether it is the originals or the prequels.

Jar Jar is the Phantom Menace's version of the classic buffoon. You see this character in many forms throughout classic literature. The character is designed to be the comic relief and often the harbinger of ironic destruction. Jar Jar does play this role exceptionally well, even if there are a few scenes that are a bit cringe worthy in TPM I do agree.

If you feel Jar Jar was necessary, than I'll respect that opinion. But personally the movie could've been better without him, and maybe just ramp up threepio's funny dialogues and have him more involved as his "naked" version, someone we are all more comfortable with and more likely to accept in this role. Not a completely CGI weird talking floppy disney goof.

The original trilogy was made for kids. Lucas has been quoted as saying he made Star Wars for a generation of kids growing up without fairy tales. Which is true if you cosnsider how bleak, moody, and dark cinema of the 1970s was. Star Wars has always been made for kids whether it is the originals or the prequels.

I'm sure that's true, and I think I've read that before. I guess the point I meant to make is who it actually resonates with. And even in that case the logic fails because Prequels resonate with some older crowds. So I don't know why I'm arguing with myself. I guess all I can just say is that I didn't enjoy Phantom menace like those who did, likewise I'm sure others did not enjoy TFA the way that I did. Movies. Can't like em, can't dislike em. All that aside, edit Jar Jar out and I'll be happier :)

It sounds like he's more baffled by the idea of being an action figure rather than being super against it. I mean, it's a very new thing for most of the cast.

Yeah I truly hope he's not against it and that we might see a second Kylo Ren version.

Our opinions aside... I watched the original trilogy, force awakens and phantom menace within a 4 day span. Phantom menace does not feel the same. I'm 31. I was in my teens when the prequels came up, and my brother who was born in the 70s raised on the originals and had all the star wars influence on me in the way that I am on a star wars forum talking about it 'till this day haha. So that's my background. What's yours? I'd like to understand what divides us, if you feel it is age. Because original Star Wars can be just as much for the kids as the Prequels. The only difference is the Phantom menace was very purposefully in disney like fashion for the kids. And the CGI detaches it, because it tries to carry it instead of compliment it. Force Awakens with the same actors or not, carries the story, whether it's the same story with the names changed, still carries the same torch as Star Wars in a way the prequels never can. We don't need to be divided by star wars fans, I have lots of friends who think prequels are OK, but I guess if it comes down to it maybe you're right. Maybe you had to be born in mid-late 90s to really enjoy what the Prequels had to offer for you.

I believe age can play a part in it, especially when it comes to the humor. But in the end I think it's the way we see things that separate us. How we are as persons. I always look on the bright side of things. I saw things in The Phantom Menace that most haters didn't. I saw the story and I could appreciate it. While haters were just annoyed by irrelevant (to me) stuff like outdated CGI and silly jokes. I can see past things like that.

When I first watched The Phantom Menace I was blown away by the special effects, the visuals, colors, artistry, designs, music and cinematography. The whole made it an immersive experience. I had no issues with the story or the execution of it. The plot of Anakin was something that I was drawn to, it was relatable. A poor slave who got freed, had to leave his mother behind because he was destined for something great. I just felt for him. But a hater would go on and on about how Anakin sucks and Jake "****ing ruined" star wars with his acting and hope he dies and fart joke raped their childhood bla bla bla bla bla bla just pure hatred. It seems to me, and no offense to anyone here, that people who hate the prequels are bitter people, negative, overly critical, nostalgic beyond reason, and some on this forum has shown a lot of arrogance and are very rude (won't mention names). This is just my general experience with haters through various forums and facebook communities. They're always focusing on the negatives. Very toxic with their hate, spewing it at any chance they get. It's almost become like trolling now. If I dislike something, I will talk about it for a while, but after ten years, I'd forget it. I wouldn't take the first chance I had to talk **** about Hayden whenever the official Facebook page of Star Wars posted a pic of him like hundreds of sad people do. It's like, if you have nothing good to say, why say it? It's just personality, it's how certain people are. I'd also like to add, that I know a lot of people who grew up on the originals back in the day that love the prequels. Age isn't everything.

I'm sure that's true, and I think I've read that before. I guess the point I meant to make is who it actually resonates with. And even in that case the logic fails because Prequels resonate with some older crowds. So I don't know why I'm arguing with myself. I guess all I can just say is that I didn't enjoy Phantom menace like those who did, likewise I'm sure others did not enjoy TFA the way that I did. Movies. Can't like em, can't dislike em. All that aside, edit Jar Jar out and I'll be happier :)

I have always said, Phantom Menace would have been a jaw-dropping amazing film, if they edited out about three minutes of Jar Jar goofiness and three or four Jake Lloyd clunker lines. I feel the same about the Force Awakens. There were still things that didn't sit right with me that I am marinating on. I will see it again on Wednesday with the kids to see how a second viewing hold up. (I wanted to see it by myself first to make sure it was okay for a seven yr old, and because I couldn't stand to wait five days) :)

Can someone give a run down of what happened in the vision Rey experienced when she discovered the lightsaber? During the scene I was trying to digest everything that was going on that I feel I missed on certain things that were shown and heard. Was that Kylo Ren who said, "Shut it little girl" as toddler Rey was being carried away?

Yeah I truly hope he's not against it and that we might see a second Kylo Ren version.

I believe age can play a part in it, especially when it comes to the humor. But in the end I think it's the way we see things that separate us. How we are as persons. I always look on the bright side of things. I saw things in The Phantom Menace that most haters didn't. I saw the story and I could appreciate it. While haters were just annoyed by irrelevant (to me) stuff like outdated CGI and silly jokes. I can see past things like that.

When I first watched The Phantom Menace I was blown away by the special effects, the visuals, colors, artistry, designs, music and cinematography. The whole made it an immersive experience. I had no issues with the story or the execution of it. The plot of Anakin was something that I was drawn to, it was relatable. A poor slave who got freed, had to leave his mother behind because he was destined for something great. I just felt for him. But a hater would go on and on about how Anakin sucks and Jake "****ing ruined" star wars with his acting and hope he dies and fart joke raped their childhood bla bla bla bla bla bla just pure hatred. It seems to me, and no offense to anyone here, that people who hate the prequels are bitter people, negative, overly critical, nostalgic beyond reason, and some on this forum has shown a lot of arrogance and are very rude (won't mention names). This is just my general experience with haters through various forums and facebook communities. They're always focusing on the negatives. Very toxic with their hate, spewing it at any chance they get. It's almost become like trolling now. If I dislike something, I will talk about it for a while, but after ten years, I'd forget it. I wouldn't take the first chance I had to talk **** about Hayden whenever the official Facebook page of Star Wars posted a pic of him like hundreds of sad people do. It's like, if you have nothing good to say, why say it? It's just personality, it's how certain people are. I'd also like to add, that I know a lot of people who grew up on the originals back in the day that love the prequels. Age isn't everything.

I saw The Empire Strikes Back in the theaters in 1980. I was five, my life was never the same again. AND I love the prequels too, because George honored the OT by making very different films for the prequels. I am very afraid, Disney will only continue to crank out OT rehashes until the end of time. I hope I am wrong.

I feel for what you're saying here, and I like the way you look at it. But I'm not a bitter over critical person. I'm a very loving and supportive person hahaha. I don't think I fit on the wave of haters you describe. I don't know where I fit in. I love star wars and I want it to be amazing and will always look to the positive if I can. I came to my opinion on my own, before I even was spending time on the internet and reading anything. I just wanted Star wars to be special, and it felt so different and I was let down by Jar Jar as a character choice to be so front and center. I own the costuming book and enjoy all the art and design put into Phantom Menace. I just feel let down. Maybe in the same way the younger kids who grew up loving prequels are now experiencing with TFA. meanwhile I love TFA. It could just be all the build up and expectations. This time around I had ZERO expectations, I just agreed with what I heard for the approach and the direction which is being more hands on with the prop building, shooting on scene and other elements that made the original Star wars feel so real and awesome! So what's that make me lol

I saw The Empire Strikes Back in the theaters in 1980. I was five, my life was never the same again. AND I love the prequels too, because George honored the OT by making very different films for the prequels. I am very afraid, Disney will only continue to crank out OT rehashes until the end of time. I hope I am wrong.

This point of view is blowing my mind. *looks at my hands* is the real life? Where am I? Is this the twilight zone hahaha. You guys are awesome for feeling this way.. but wow are we on the opposite sides of the spectrum! That's cool that you guys feel that way though. I think it's an exciting time for star wars. Rogue one is going to be kick ass too :)

Wow I envy you! I wasn't even born then. Luckily I got to experience the special editions on the big screen in the 90's right before The Phantom Menace. I really feel lucky in the sense that I got to experience 6 Star Wars movies within 10 years. Those movies defined my childhood.

I feel for what you're saying here, and I like the way you look at it. But I'm not a bitter over critical person. I'm a very loving and supportive person hahaha. I don't think I fit on the wave of haters you describe. I don't know where I fit in. I love star wars and I want it to be amazing and will always look to the positive if I can. I came to my opinion on my own, before I even was spending time on the internet and reading anything. I just wanted Star wars to be special, and it felt so different and I was let down by Jar Jar as a character choice to be so front and center. I own the costuming book and enjoy all the art and design put into Phantom Menace. I just feel let down. Maybe in the same way the younger kids who grew up loving prequels are now experiencing with TFA. meanwhile I love TFA. It could just be all the build up and expectations. This time around I had ZERO expectations, I just agreed with what I heard for the approach and the direction which is being more hands on with the prop building, shooting on scene and other elements that made the original Star wars feel so real and awesome! So what's that make me lol

Sorry didn't mean to point any fingers at you, was just explaining how my experience have been for the most part. I actually grew up on the prequels and the originals around the same time, born 91 so I was pretty young then. I love The Force Awakens. Seen it twice now and plan on seeing it again this week. It wasn't hard to see that they played it safe with re-using the same stories from the OT (a third frickin deathstar come on! lol) but my feelings about the movie are mostly positive with some minor nickpits. It's not the best movie I've seen I think it's on par with The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (from the perspective of a Saga-fan). Revenge is slightly better imo. All in all The Force Awakens is a worthy sequel and I believe the next two will be even better movies. I do hope they will dare to make a more original story this time around.

This point of view is blowing my mind. *looks at my hands* is the real life? Where am I? Is this the twilight zone hahaha. You guys are awesome for feeling this way.. but wow are we on the opposite sides of the spectrum! That's cool that you guys feel that way though. I think it's an exciting time for star wars. Rogue one is going to be kick ass too :)

Star Wars fandom is a big tent. It is fair to say I wasn't blown away by TFA, but that isn't to say I didn't really like a lot if what it brought to the table. I am also excited for Rogue One too by the way.
One more note on Phantom Menace. The 3D version that was rereleased in theaters in 2012 made over 103 million dollars in two weeks in a limited theatrical release. This was after the film was over 13 years old and just released on Blu-ray for couple of months prior. Think about that, clearly a lot of other people out there, outside of the internet hate chamber also love that film enough to go see it in the theaters even though it was available on VHS, DVD or Blu-ray for over a decade.

Someone was telling me that Luke (all in tune with the force, meditating on that island.. almost like being the watcher of the galaxy) he felt the disturbance in the force when Han was killed he felt Leia's pain and he awoke R2 with the map where to find him as he wanted to be found, finally. But then he looks all surprised when he is... but I think that's because he didn't expect it to be Rey? Especially with his lost lightsaber from Bespin? That's what I think at least.

R2 waking up has nothing to do with Luke wanting to be found, as confirmed by JJ Abrams himself: R2-D2's Arc in Star Wars: The Force Awakens Explained - IGN

R2 waking up is actually ridiculously brought about BB-8's cuteness... or something.

Wow I envy you! I wasn't even born then. Luckily I got to experience the special editions on the big screen in the 90's right before The Phantom Menace. I really feel lucky in the sense that I got to experience 6 Star Wars movies within 10 years. Those movies defined my childhood.

Don't envy me. It just makes me old. :)

The 3D version that was rereleased in theaters in 2012 made over 103 million dollars in two weeks in a limited theatrical release. This was after the film was over 13 years old and just released on Blu-ray for couple of months prior. Think about that, clearly a lot of other people out there, outside of the internet hate chamber also love that film enough to go see it in the theaters even though it was available on VHS, DVD or Blu-ray for over a decade.

And it was even in 3D, which a lot of people don't even like myself included.

Don't envy me. It just makes me old. :)

Old and wise. :wink1:

Did anyone else feel a complete disservice to the OT characters? I mean they are the heroes that destroyed the Empire and are legends in this film but they all turned out to be failures in one way or another? What gives?..

Just watched the trailer for the first time and got chills throughout, the placing of the score and scenes worked perfectly here. I wonder what happened in the cutting board that lead to the mess we got.

Did anyone else feel a complete disservice to the OT characters? I mean they are the heroes that destroyed the Empire and are legends in this film but they all turned out to be failures in one way or another? What gives?..

One will barge in and goes "Yada yada, they are there to serve as stepping stones."

And it was even in 3D, which a lot of people don't even like myself included.

Old and wise. :wink1:

Internet communities in general are pretty hate filled. Mainly because only diehard fans take to internet forums to express their opinions and unfortunately many of them are self entitled who think things should go only the way they see it.
It's really bad with Pro Wrestling.

I don't know if you can call it a dis-service. It's more of a their time has come and gone, we've missed 30 years of what's happened with them.
It really is no different then Obi-Wan in a New Hope, when it first released.

Back