The Firefly controversy...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefly...awesome, meh, or caca? You make the call!

• Total voters
No, that's how you're misinterpreting the remark. What's making most people so mad is the fact that they showed the concept shot that is so close to the RAH version of Firefly. If those hadn't been shown in the first place, the b**ching would be much more subtle with a consistency of, "Wow, they missed the mark" vs. "WTF?! You got the concept art right, WTF happened?!"

I think that slide really killed it for people. It was really awesome of SSC to reveal so much in that panel/presentation. I hope we haven't screwed the pooch on whether or not they will pull back the curtain as much again. But I don't really know how much they really read this site. Dave?

there is a wtf angle for sure due to the preview pics being so on target, but the complaint and souce of anger is that the figure is wrong. this would be true whether we saw preview pics or not. personally, when I saw the figure announcement I totally forgot that there was a preview pic from SDCC.

and it would be very cowardice to punish fans by avoiding previews again. its not OUR fault SSC pulled a retard move by ????ing up a product.

Lets pretend the circumstances were reversed and SSC previewed the wack product, fans ?????ed and moaned then causing SSC to fix the product to a point that it was great and they proceeded to sell thousands of units. They would be gracious for the input that process allowed.

So its just cowardice and scapegoating to blame the preview process for their failure to touch base with the real fans.

Last edited:
Fair enough, if I could edit the poll (meaning put in more options) I would do so.

I know bud. It's impossible to get everybody's opinions in the polls and usually some get left out just due to option limitations (I've done that myself :lol), which 90% of the time means the last option will always be an "other." This is why I'm glad we're able to post in addition to voting for the polls.

there is a wtf angle for sure due to the preview pics being so on target, but the complaint and souce of anger is that the figure is wrong. this would be true whether we saw preview pics or not.

But wrong is subjective...wrong would be a lightsaber color or the Episode III clone helmet situation. I don't think SSC's FF is wrong, maybe not perfect in my eyes (and obviously yours to a greater degree) but it's their interpretation. This is just another version of the character.

I voted meh because I have other cobra stuff I need first before
firefly. I will most likely order though else get him down the road later

But wrong is subjective...wrong would be a lightsaber color or the Episode III clone helmet situation. I don't think SSC's FF is wrong, maybe not perfect in my eyes (and obviously yours to a greater degree) but it's their interpretation. This is just another version of the character.

eh semantics I guess. but choosing not to paint the mask seems pretty "wrong" to me considring so much of the comics, figures, etc has the pattern on the mask.

let me ask this, would the figure be "wrong" to you if they did add the pattern?

there is a wtf angle for sure due to the preview pics being so on target, but the complaint and souce of anger is that the figure is wrong. this would be true whether we saw preview pics or not. personally, when I saw the figure announcement I totally forgot that there was a preview pic from SDCC.

and it would be very cowardice to punish fans by avoiding previews again. its not OUR fault SSC pulled a retard move by ????ing up a product.

Lets pretend the circumstances were reversed and SSC previewed the wack product, fans ?????ed and moaned then causing SSC to fix the product to a point that it was great and they proceeded to sell thousands of units. They would be gracious for the input that process allowed.

So its just cowardice and scapegoating to blame the preview process for their failure to touch base with the real fans.

I never said there wouldn't be b**ching, but you have to agree, it would be no where near the level it is, if they'd refrained from showing the concept art.

Something I'm beginning to expect from this line is the need, for me, to get the figure and customize it to how I personally think it should look. Some will need more, some will need less. This one just needs a bit more. That's why I'm not as peeved as others. It's also why I'd prefer them to leave the balaclava alone and have a blank canvas vs. paint that gaudy winter cammo scheme on it.

I think that slide really killed it for people. It was really awesome of SSC to reveal so much in that panel/presentation. I hope we haven't screwed the pooch on whether or not they will pull back the curtain as much again. But I don't really know how much they really read this site. Dave?

If the final product wasn't going to look a thing like the concept art, they should not have shown it.

eh semantics I guess. but choosing not to paint the mask seems pretty "wrong" to me considring so much of the comics, figures, etc has the pattern on the mask.

let me ask this, would the figure be "wrong" to you if they did add the pattern?

Wrong, no. IMO of course but I agree with NAM a blank canvas is better.

I never said there wouldn't be b**ching, but you have to agree, it would be no where near the level it is, if they'd refrained from showing the concept art.

Something I'm beginning to expect from this line is the need, for me, to get the figure and customize it to how I personally think it should look. Some will need more, some will need less. This one just needs a bit more. That's why I'm not as peeved as others. It's also why I'd prefer them to leave the balaclava alone and have a blank canvas vs. paint that gaudy winter cammo scheme on it.

I like customizing figures to a degree (like a new shirt for Belloq) but yeah some more than others. That's part of the fun I think.

If the final product wasn't going to look a thing like the concept art, they should not have shown it.

I kind of agree with you. :(

its easier to paint a solid color onto the mask if you weren't pleased with the pattern they chose. its 5x harder for someone to paint the camo themselves.

There's truth in "you can't please everybody" but I think you can't really go wrong or be blamed by defaulting closer to the source material.

anyway, I totally expect the exclusive to sell out quickly despite our complaints. I like the explosive accessory enough I will probably preorder! And hope that they change it to my liking before shipment. If they don't I can either decide to paint it myself or cancel the item.

its easier to paint a solid color onto the mask if you weren't pleased with the pattern they chose. its 5x harder for someone to paint the camo themselves.

There's truth in "you can't please everybody" but I think you can't really go wrong or be blamed by defaulting closer to the source material.

anyway, I totally expect the exclusive to sell out quickly despite our complaints. I like the explosive accessory enough I will probably preorder! And hope that they change it to my liking before shipment. If they don't I can either decide to paint it myself or cancel the item.

Not true. It's considerably easier to add colors to a single-colored base coat than it is to strip and repaint or paint over a multi-colored headsculpt, especially with that near white PT gray color.

I'm thinking it wouldn't be too dificult if you masked off some camo blots and painted around them in the lighter grey. I'm sure Citadel or Model Masters has a grey that would work.

lol. its easy to add spots of paint. yes. its very hard to mimic a camo pattern without it looking too planned, too random, or simply poorly done.

painting multiple coats of 1 color to cover a pattern is easy.

I don't get why SSC doesn't just do every figure like Duke. Classic costume with a choice of vintage or modern accessories. Everybody's happy. The end.

lol. its easy to add spots of paint. yes. its very hard to mimic a camo pattern without it looking too planned, too random, or simply poorly done.

painting multiple coats of 1 color to cover a pattern is easy.

:confused: I'd rather mark off a solid base, to paint the additional cammo colors/pattern in stages than strip all the colors from the head and repaint the whole damn head a flat color, then start with a new cammo pattern. It's twice the work man! And that cammo pattern sucks for anything remotely resembling Firefly. Add the visor and his Katana and you have Arctic Snake Eyes.
:thwak

well i think anyone that has a problem with the pattern they chose for this firefly is SOL on the whole figure, I can;t see adding matching camo to the head would change that...

if the pattern on the outfit is a problem I think the only solution there is to buy the parts you do like from toy anxiety.

I don't get why SSC doesn't just do every figure like Duke. Classic costume with a choice of vintage or modern accessories. Everybody's happy. The end.

I agree 100%. People in alot of collectible "themes" have been asking this about Sideshow for awhile now; especially Marvel fans.

I don't get it... 'Classic' portrayals are what put Sideshow on the map and made their statues and 12" so popular and over the last few years, they have turned away from that that. Look at Marvel: for a very long stretch, we got 2nd/3rd tier characters, they decided to give the Emma Frost PF a cartoon look that doesn't fit in with any other PF, Black Queen instead of Phoenix, etc.

Sometimes I think that Sideshow R&D wants to put their own "artistic interpretation/touch" to their product, but that "artistic touch" isn't what made them popular in the first place. Alot of people are buying Marvel, GI Joe, Star Wars, etc for the memories they have from these lines when they were kids.

I agree to an extent. It won't work for every character. It would have worked for Firefly for sure, no doubts there. But characters like Destro, Zartan, Dr. Mindbender, and even Gung Ho are going to be seeing some drastic departures from their original outfits. I just don't see Sideshow giving us characters with exposed chests or abs in this line. I just wouldn't be logical. And I have to admit, it seems like a very dated idea.

As a Marine, Gung Ho would drop dead without any type of protection on. I'm not saying he needs a bullet proof vest, but he wouldn't be going around with just a vest on.

Zartan isn't going to be walking around with a bunch of armor on his chest, shoulders, and legs and leave his 6 pack wide open. Sure I'd want to show them off too if I had them, but its an easy target to aim for when the rest of him is covered.

Dr. Mindbender as the same problem as Gung Ho. Why is Cobra's mad scientist wearing a cape and no shirt? I mean really. It would be more logical to see him in a lab coat if anything. Even Frankestein didn't experiment bare chested.

And finally Destro. His ultra V neck just doesn't work with Sideshow's current designs. It has no function other than showing off his muscles. So he like everyone else on this list will be getting heavy make-overs. Sure we might not even see Mindbender, but surely Destro, Gung Ho, and Zartan will be made eventually. So I think we had just better start getting used to characters not looking 99% like their original ARAH designs. They will be changed to better suit the feel of this line, and this is a more realistic take on GI Joe and Cobra. Granted they will still have bits of fantasy mixed in, but I think exposed toros is one thing that will disapear. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see these guys in their classic outfits, but I'm saying I'm not going to expect them to.

But regardless, it does baffle me why Sideshow changed Firefly's outfit so much when it would have worked just fine, like Duke or Snake Eyes.

if sideshow needs to drastically change a character to make him "viable" maybe they shouldn't do that figure. would this line be incomplete without Dr Mindbender? SW seemed to do alright without Vader, Stormtrooper, Chewie, droids, etc for years. I think there are plenty of Joes to make in which they can stick close to the original design. anything else, don't bother.

well i think anyone that has a problem with the pattern they chose for this firefly is SOL on the whole figure, I can;t see adding matching camo to the head would change that...

if the pattern on the outfit is a problem I think the only solution there is to buy the parts you do like from toy anxiety.

Hence why I'm saying leave that cammo pattern to the outfit, something that can be easily changed out vs. slopping it all over the balaclava too and ****ing everyone who's planning to make him look more authentic. :dunno

Back