The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly the movie looks crappy anyways. I actually like King and the book series but don't have much interest in the film. Personally I think it should have been McConaughey as Roland. For some reason Idris Elba just isn't what I envisioned.

I have never read the books - so I am hoping that may allow me to enjoy the movie more; apparently that worked for Ghost in the Shell and not having had seen the anime. That being said, I find your analysis of switching the roles as interesting, as for what it's worth, McConaughey has more of the western vibe - I actually think you might be on to something there. I like Idris, and he's going to play this brooding badass just fine, no doubts there, but if it will it be accurate is a different story. But, ultimately, you couldn't pull that casting reversal like that in this day and age without changing the Man in Black's name. You'd tank your movie, unfortunately.

Honestly I feel like the whole thing would have worked better as a series on HBO or Netflix or something.

Apparently it will continue as a TV show with Idris set to return as Roland in a movie-TV shared deal.

Yeah I know they can't really change it at this point. I just don't feel Idris fits the role. I'm sure he'll be fine enough but I'm not overly excited about seeing the film.

Well, there are Diamond Select figures and statues coming but I really want some 1/6 figures. Maybe SDCC brings us some good news about it.

Elba's casting isn't the problem.
It just looks bad. The novel Roland doesn't have supernatural powers or fast healing factor, he doesn't dress in leather like a Matrix extra and the doors between worlds aren't stargate portals.
I fear they don't get the novels at all and it's just going to be a really average movie as a result.

Back