The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Difabio:
IMO Begins was the best superhero film ever made before TDK came out. Arguable it still is the best superhero film ever made.

And I don't think it's pretentious at all - Nolan makes high quality films and the fact that these happen to be Batman films doesn't make them any different. These films are not your regular summer blockbusters, come on, that much you have to admit? There is more sophistication and thought going into the Nolan Batman franchise than I have seen from any superhero franchise ever.

I think if TDKR does manage to do what Nolan wants it to - i.e. top his previous Batfilms, then it could be in line for some serious awards recognition.

I'll disagree with that. One of, yes. There's no debating that. THE... absolutely not, never was.

These films are not your regular summer blockbusters, come on, that much you have to admit?

Of course not. Of course I think these are of a higher caliber compared to say, Thor, Green Lantern, or most other superhero films out there.

BUT, as I stated above, I think their greatness is exaggerated (Batman Begins being the exception). I think Begins and The Dark Knight are great, fantastic, enjoyable films but when there's this emphasis on how they're rated, I sort of stand back and cringe. The Oscar talk, the "better than thou" attitude, academy award winners/nominees, box office numbers, rotten tomatoes etc. etc. It just feels totally contrived to me. If that's not pretentious, I don't know what is.

I thought I loved them, but it seems I definitely don't as much as "the next guy". I mean, we're all essentially film buffs here and yet there seems to be these groups that try to aggrandize a film's worth, over and over again and any criticism, even the slightest critique is meant with a pardon to protect said film's esteem.

superman 2 is all time greatest super hero movie of all time, fact!!

superman 2 is all time greatest super hero movie of all time, fact!!

opinion...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI1UVDOuMqE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI1UVDOuMqE[/ame]

I think the point is that Hardy is an excellent actor?

The Rock? Vin Diesel?
You guys are crazy...

I'll disagree with that. One of, yes. There's no debating that. THE... absolutely not, never was.

IMO ;)

Of course not. Of course I think these are of a higher caliber compared to say, Thor, Green Lantern, or most other superhero films out there.

BUT, as I stated above, I think their greatness is exaggerated (Batman Begins being the exception). I think Begins and The Dark Knight are great, fantastic, enjoyable films but when there's this emphasis on how they're rated, I sort of stand back and cringe. The Oscar talk, the "better than thou" attitude, academy award winners/nominees, box office numbers, rotten tomatoes etc. etc. It just feels totally contrived to me. If that's not pretentious, I don't know what is.

I thought I loved them, but it seems I definitely don't as much as "the next guy". I mean, we're all essentially film buffs here and yet there seems to be these groups that try to aggrandize a film's worth, over and over again and any criticism, even the slightest critique is meant with a pardon to protect said film's esteem.

I'll admit these films do have a crazy fanboy following, of which I am a part so yes, guilty as charged :lol

No film is perfect. Every movie has a cringe worthy moment that can take you out of a film. Be it a cellophane "S", a particular line, Prince music, etc. Every movie's got em, even the most serious film has it's fair share of cheese. It's only bothersome if you're a super serious, pretentious ****** without a sense of humor though.

I'll never forget the Falafel guy, the random hoagie man in TDK, or those terrible, terrible extras ("IT'S GONNA BLOW, NO MORE DEAD CAWPS"). The third act of Begins in particular is a huge cheese fest (if you disregard the final scene with Gordon and Batman) with the microwave emitter plot.

Gordon really just went in the Tumbler? A hippie guy just said the Tumbler was a nice ride before Gordon blows up the monorail with a victory "SCORE"? Oscar deserving indeed.

Last edited:

I'm with Umair on this one, Hardy is an excellent actor and I think Bane will have a rich storyline in this one.

The Rock or Vin would be too silly and just unnecessary big guys running around destroying everything...this is Nolan's Batman, not Joel Schumacher's!

The Rock or Vin would be too silly and just unnecessary big guys running around destroying everything...this is Nolan's Batman, not Joel Schumacher's!

Uh... that's pretty much what Bane does in the comics. I can understand why people would want that vs. a smaller dude given a vajayjay by the director. :huh

This isn't the comics no mo.

Changes and new interpretations are allowed to be made to characters unless you're the Returns Penguin or basically any non-Nolan related character/villain. These changes are acceptable and viewed as creative inspired ONLY if you're from a real Batman film.

Regular comic films < Comics

Chris Nolan comic films > Comics

Compared to Hardy, the comic Bane is just a lame, 6'0" whatever, luchador mask wearing, fruit cake. TDKR will give Bane an actual heart, soul and a practical reason to wear a "mask", for Darth Vader syndrome.

This isn't the comics no mo.

Changes and new interpretations are allowed to be made to characters unless you're the Returns Penguin or basically any non-Nolan related character/villain. These changes are acceptable and viewed as creative inspired ONLY if you're from a real Batman film.

Regular comic films < Comics

Chris Nolan comic films > Comics

Compared to Hardy, the comic Bane is just a lame, 6'0" whatever, luchador mask wearing, fruit cake. TDKR will give Bane an actual heart, soul and a practical reason to wear a "mask", for Darth Vader syndrome.

The point of Bane was to offer something Batman had never faced before. Unmatchable brute physical strength. While I have no doubt Nolan will make this new far removed from source material Bane work like he did his Joker (who was the same), it still kinda dumbs down the very reason Bane was created to begin with.

I'd rather have an interesting story line and character development rather than just Bane running around fighting Batman the whole movie just for eye candy...I prefer an intellectual and gripping movie compared to violence for the sake of violence.

That's why Pulp Fiction is hands down my favourite movie. Rather than Tarantino writing a script of Jules and Vincent executing people the whole movie, he made the story line compelling and the characters interesting. In fact, Jules and Vincent barely killed anyone yet they were scripted as badass hit men... even Marvin getting shot in the face was brilliant :lol

I'd rather have an interesting story line and character development rather than just Bane running around fighting Batman the whole movie just for eye candy...I prefer an intellectual and gripping movie compared to violence for the sake of violence.

That's why Pulp Fiction is hands down my favourite movie. Rather than Tarantino writing a script of Jules and Vincent executing people the whole movie, he made the story line compelling and the characters interesting. In fact, Jules and Vincent barely killed anyone yet they were scripted as badass hit men... even Marvin getting shot in the face was brilliant :lol

I think telling Bane's origin and Batman using his detective skills would've fulfilled that just fine. :huh

Isn't that what Nolan is doing with the TDKR? :huh

As well as giving Bane unnecessary attributes. I would've better liked seeing a Bane that's rage incarnate, something that can't be reasoned with, fighting Batman, than basically combining the genius of Edward Nigma with the brawn of Bane. It's like cheating at chess. :huh

As well as giving Bane unnecessary attributes. I would've better liked seeing a Bane that's rage incarnate, something that can't be reasoned with, fighting Batman, than basically combining the genius of Edward Nigma with the brawn of Bane. It's like cheating at chess. :huh

I see what you mean now... I think it could go both ways with me, but ultimately I will give you my final decision on Bane after the film :lol

Not to mention Bane's new little political agenda for Gotham City (which seems to be in line with the league of shadows). Whatever happened to his motivation of simply being able to break Batman and take Gotham from him through cunning?

No, now it's about liberation, and political mumbo jumbo. There was propaganda all over the Gotham City shoot and it wasn't for Pittsburgh or the riots going on in NY . . .

I mean, I can see exposing Dent (assuming that's what he's doing with that picture) in an effort to destroy Batman and make the people lose morale but I'm almost certain that this is going to turn into "Bane's political campaign". Does every villain have to be so complex with preachy speeches (Heinz field)?

Is not liking Batman and wanting to kill or ruin him not good enough?

Well said! :clap

The point of Bane was to offer something Batman had never faced before. Unmatchable brute physical strength. While I have no doubt Nolan will make this new far removed from source material Bane work like he did his Joker (who was the same), it still kinda dumbs down the very reason Bane was created to begin with.

That is exactly why Nolan chose Bane - the physical threat - the ultimate physical Batman villain, that's what he says in the Empire interview while adding that his Bane will have a similar emotive backstory as Batman does and that he will be a very smart character and not just a brute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back