The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tale of Two (lolcat) Cities

Fire/Burning: the burning of the body". It seems clear that this is a rare case where death or destruction (the opposite of resurrection) has a positive connotation, since the "burning" helps liberate the doctor from the memory of his long imprisonment.

In the broadest sense, at the end of the novel Dickens foresees a resurrected social order in France, rising from the ashes of the old one.

Snow: Madame Defarge is "like a shadow over the white road", the snow symbolising purity and Madame Defarge's darkness corruption. Dickens also compares the dark colour of blood to the pure white snow: the blood takes on the shade of the crimes of its shedders.

:horror :horror

Spoiler Spoiler:

Damn jye---spoiler tag that mess! :thwak Nice analysis though. This is really interesting to me, I was recently talking to void about reading this classic before seeing TDKR. Hopefully it doesn't follow the book too closely.

**edited to add the spoiler tags---thanks jye!!

Damn jye---spoiler tag that mess! :thwak Nice analysis though. This is really interesting to me, I was recently talking to void about reading this classic before seeing TDKR. Hopefully it doesn't follow the book too closely.

**edited to add the spoiler tags---thanks jye!!

:yess::yess::yess:

Tale of Two (lolcat) Cities

Fire/Burning: the burning of the body". It seems clear that this is a rare case where death or destruction (the opposite of resurrection) has a positive connotation, since the "burning" helps liberate the doctor from the memory of his long imprisonment.

In the broadest sense, at the end of the novel Dickens foresees a resurrected social order in France, rising from the ashes of the old one.

Snow: Madame Defarge is "like a shadow over the white road", the snow symbolising purity and Madame Defarge's darkness corruption. Dickens also compares the dark colour of blood to the pure white snow: the blood takes on the shade of the crimes of its shedders.

:horror :horror

Spoiler Spoiler:

What was that I said about pretentious again? :lol

Some people like to build this ____ into a magical wilderness with unicorns and rainbows where everything's perfectly sugarcoated in fairy dust and has a deeper, intellectual meaning, but sadly can't see the forest for the trees. :lol

Some people like to build this ____ into a magical wilderness with unicorns and rainbows where everything's perfectly sugarcoated in fairy dust and has a deeper, intellectual meaning, but sadly can't see the forest for the trees. :lol

---and Greek mythology is simply a bunch of stories about petty gods using mortals as pawns in their schemes against each other. All surface plot and action, no deeper lessons about human nature to see there, right?

Why can't movies about comic-book characters, our modern myths, be entertaining and have a "deeper, intellectual meaning"?

You think Nolan has failed at the "deeper meaning" part so far? Great, but at least he attempts it.

Some people just want to watch the world burn, ie Nam :lol

Well, Mr. High-and-Mighty, you promised to bring the marshmallows, so what's your point? :huh

---and Greek mythology is simply a bunch of stories about petty gods using mortals as pawns in their schemes against each other. All surface plot and action, no deeper lessons about human nature to see there, right?

Why can't movies about comic-book characters, our modern myths, be entertaining and have a "deeper, intellectual meaning"?

You think Nolan has failed at the "deeper meaning" part so far? Great, but at least he attempts it.

I think Nolan just makes movies and tells the story. His fans, to pull an adequate Star Wars reference, EU the ____ out of it and make it this "grander" scheme than it is. Sad thing is, Nolan's started buying into it with his "biggest movie since silent pictures" bull____.

I think he's referring more to the fans of his movies. Creating some sort of superficial meaning that may or may not be there.

But Nolan said one of his inspirations was Tale of Two Cities, i'm not making anything up. :lol

If Nolan had said his inspiration for TDKR was from laundry detergent commercials I would be quoting Tide Whitening with Baking Soda Commercials. :lol

Mr. High and Mighty signing out. :lol

Give me a minute to add your name to it :lol

picture.php

:lol awesome!

His post just proves my point about "forest for the trees." :lol

:clap Brilliant. Now when I ask you to explain exactly what in my post proves that, instead of actually clarifying your point, you can come back with an equally cryptic and breif statement along those same lines--

"See?! He can't see the 'forest for the the trees'!! He's too ignorant to even know what I'm talking about, so I'm not going to waste time actually explaining/defending it."

Perfect out. Well played Nam.

:clap Brilliant. Now when I ask you to explain exactly what in my post proves that, instead of actually clarifying your point, you can come back with an equally cryptic and breif statement along those same lines--

"See?! He can't see the 'forest for the the trees'!! He's too ignorant to even know what I'm talking about, so I'm not going to waste time actually explaining/defending it."

Perfect out. Well played Nam.

I don't need to. Your follow-up post, as I said earlier, proved my point. Other than your inability to think rationally regarding Nolan's Batman films, there's nothing cryptic about it. You completely misinterpreted my post as aimed at Nolan proper. Whereas Voorhees understood it because he's not a psychophant.

Ok Nam, got the marshmellows, void, DarkMagic and I will be right over, get that fireplace going. :lol

You wanna get nuts? Come on! Let's get nuts! :lol

It'd look much better if he'd gone with maybe Bane's whole mask for the flames instead of just the fangs.

He used the chalk symbol from one of the t-shirts given out last year at the free showings of the prologue. One had the bat with "legend" under it, one had the fangs with "end".

I don't need to. Your follow-up post, as I said earlier, proved my point. Other than your inability to think rationally regarding Nolan's Batman films, there's nothing cryptic about it. You completely misinterpreted my post as aimed at Nolan proper. Whereas Voorhees understood it because he's not a psychophant.

First of all, my post was not only defending Nolan proper (as far as putting deeper meaning into his films), but also those of us who see deeper meaning in his films. So no, I did not completely misinterpret your post.

Surely, you didn't take that sentence to mean that I thought Nolan makes his movies to be entertaining to himself and infuses them with deeper meaning for himself, did you?

Honestly Nam, why the personal insults? Implying that I'm a sychophant now? Explain the reasoning behind that one. Disagree with my arguments all you want, but why the personal attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back