The currious case of "muscle" bodies. Please read the first post before voting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So which is better to you

• Total voters
Re: The currious case of "muscle" bodies. Please read the first post before voting

allright then, how about this. if all that concerns you is the physique, would you then be happy with a Regular jointed body that was sculpted with much larger muscles. take for example, Medicoms goku, or their comic book wolverine. the arms on both figures are hard plastic, with standard joints, but are sculpted to match the characters physique.

That sounds good in theory but I'm not familiar with your examples. For realistic movie figures though that shiny smooth plastic is also part of the issue and would need to match up better with the heads. Actually the new Wolverine Origins figure seems to employ a body type I've never seen before - at least in the arms. They look like rubber muscles but the elbow joints are exposed.

Re: The currious case of "muscle" bodies. Please read the first post before voting

I prefer Articulation AND Durability. In the case of Dutch, I won't have any problem at all if HT just give me a hard plastic body with muscle sculpted on and elbow joints expose. Look at KAIYODO Revoltech "Fist of the North Star" action figure. While every joints exposed it still look good. Just my 2 cents.

That sounds good in theory but I'm not familiar with your examples. For realistic movie figures though that shiny smooth plastic is also part of the issue and would need to match up better with the heads. Actually the new Wolverine Origins figure seems to employ a body type I've never seen before - at least in the arms. They look like rubber muscles but the elbow joints are exposed.

Wolverine and his muscley plastic arms

Wolverine_RAH-l.jpg

Goku

2287446904_7d75dd5bf5.jpg

neither is a good picture, but perhaps they'll help you see what i mean

Those actually look pretty decent with the exposed elbow joints, but this being Medicom the body will probably break even without a rubber "skin" :lol

I'm usually pro muscle body for characters that absolutely need it (Dutch, Hellboy from HBII, ), but I am anxious about them not because of breakage issues. I worry more about deterioration from temperature changes brought on by the passage of time.

Has anyone here have a muscle body start drying or cracking (or anything else)? I'm asking specifically of people who own the earliest Rocky or Rambo figures because I think those were the first HT figures to use muscle bodies (correct me if I'm wrong).

Man the street clothes look for Wolverine looks SO much better than that Famous Covers looking comic version.
3733244511_1137a167f8_o.jpg

Wolverine_RAH-l.jpg

Those actually look pretty decent with the exposed elbow joints, but this being Medicom the body will probably break even without a rubber "skin" :lol

I'm usually pro muscle body for characters that absolutely need it (Dutch, Hellboy from HBII, ), but I am anxious about them not because of breakage issues. I worry more about deterioration from temperature changes brought on by the passage of time.

Has anyone here have a muscle body start drying or cracking (or anything else)? I'm asking specifically of people who own the earliest Rocky or Rambo figures because I think those were the first HT figures to use muscle bodies (correct me if I'm wrong).
I have Hottoys Military: Green Beret. It come with 2nd generation of muscle body, could be 5 years already since first release. The rubber still look good but I know it will deteriorate someday.

Man the street clothes look for Wolverine looks SO much better than that Famous Covers looking comic version.
3733244511_1137a167f8_o.jpg

Wolverine_RAH-l.jpg

i've alwas prefered the comic book look personaly, and i've got to admit, i am considering putting the comic version clothes on the hot toys figure......

allright then, how about this. if all that concerns you is the physique, would you then be happy with a Regular jointed body that was sculpted with much larger muscles. take for example, Medicoms goku, or their comic book wolverine. the arms on both figures are hard plastic, with standard joints, but are sculpted to match the characters physique.

If you can see a figure's joints then they will bother me (depending on the figure I can probably live with them, but they'll still bother me). Given the choice of visible joints or restricted articulation, I'd opt for the restricted articulation almost 100% of the time.

Put it in a good pose, and I don't need much articulation. Just let me adjust things a little bit to fine tune.
Also, I think alot of the stuff we have, whether it's a PF,or Hot Toys, have things on them that might deterioate over time.
But I also doubt I'll have my HT Hellboy for 50 years or more anyway, or even care when I'm 70 or something. (I'm 34 now) :D
Keep the dust off, keep them out of the heat and extreme light, put them in cases if you can.

But really, I don't care what method they choose. Do what is best to just make a kick ass looking figure. Ultimately it comes down to how good looks to me.

For me it really comes down to achieving what the character can do - can Sheva look down the scope of her rifle? can she shoulder a shotgun like in the game?

If not, that's a big minus for me. A deal breaker in fact. Although I would throw out there that Dutch did tend to hold is rifle in an underslung fashion. But not everyone is as uber-hard as Arnholt.

I think that the new wolverine's arms is a very good option.

i dont really look at my figures as toys! toys are something you buy for £10 in toy shops like toys r us! i see HT and SSC figures more as expensive mini 'models/statues' that have some poseability (yes i know u cant pose statues).and seeing as i dont 'play' with them is another reason i dont class them as toys! i played with toys as a kid! a £150 FIGURE IS NOT A TOY IMO! (im sure it says on HT packaging -not for kids/this is not a toy) maybe mistaken?

i voted for the muscle body anyway as i prefer a more realistic looking figure rather than ugly 1980's ACTION MAN type wrist/elbow joints etc showing up in a detolf. joints showing make it less of a movie masterpiece and less realistic IMO!

i have dutch posed holding his gun with both hands and rocky posed in a fighting stance so no probs with articulation for me.

Last edited:

I'll take Articulation. I don't collect statues and don't want to worry about ruining a figure because I bent the elbow one to many times.

:lecture

I feel the same way. I find that I don't handle my Hellboy II figure all that much due to fear of damaging him...

i dont really look at my figures as toys! toys are something you buy for £10 in toy shops like toys r us! i see HT and SSC figures more as expensive mini 'models/statues' that have some poseability (yes i know u cant pose statues).and seeing as i dont 'play' with them is another reason i dont class them as toys! i played with toys as a kid! a £150 FIGURE IS NOT A TOY IMO! (im sure it says on HT packaging -not for kids/this is not a toy) maybe mistaken?

i voted for the muscle body anyway as i prefer a more realistic looking figure rather than ugly 1980's ACTION MAN type wrist/elbow joints etc showing up in a detolf. joints showing make it less of a movie masterpiece and less realistic IMO!

i have dutch posed holding his gun with both hands and rocky posed in a fighting stance so no probs with articulation for me.

actualy, it says not for children under 14 years of age, caution small parts.

For me it depends....
Fully clothed figures don't demand good looking bodies, in this case i'll go for articulation (TT).
But some figures NEED muscle bodies, like Dutch, Rocky, Rambo, Hellboy etc...These would look like crap with TT bodies....
I guess that a good solution is the Enterbay Bruce Lee body witch Hot Toys is emulating in the Wolverine Origins AF:

Last edited:

really eager to see that when the time comes.

It's nice that HT is taking the road Enterbay has with the Wolverine figure for aesthetics on the body, but doesn't he look a bit thin. I think he should have a little more beef on him. Hopefully HT will improve the look, if they don't I'll just pop his head onto a Rocky body.

Back