The currious case of "muscle" bodies. Please read the first post before voting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So which is better to you

• Total voters
Re: The currious case of "muscle" bodies. Please read the first post before voting

Imagine the hot toys Dutch with a normal true type... :lol it just wouldn't work.
Sometimes its needed and sometimes its not. I'm fine with the muscle bodies but if there not needed then the normal truetype is the way to go.

Re: The currious case of "muscle" bodies. Please read the first post before voting

the muscle type (for me is VERY rarely needed) however it gives a better look to the figure if you can hide the joints with clothing then I say go for it! I voted trutype

It's aesthetics for me. I don't change poses on my figures often, but like the freedom of being able to select the pose I choose to leave it in, rather than have it determined by a statue. Also, knowing I can change things around if I want to is a good feeling.

Bottom line for me, though, is I want these to look as realistic as possible, and that means no exposed or obvious joints.

hopefully in the next few years or sooner they'll come up with a mass produced way to attach muscle parts to a skeletal articulated body (limb sleeves, torso/back attachments) something like the modular prometheus except silicone (or whatever material that is resistant to dry rot) based muscley parts.

OT i remember in the army we used plain old canola oil (just a dab) to periodically moisturize rubber parts on our equipment to prevent dry rot. i may do it for my HT BB bats to see if there's any adverse effects. might be onto something.....

I agree with Lerath666.

I buy action figures not statues..I canceled my Sheeva preorder yesterday because I hate those new chunky rubbered arms :sick..and do,nt need another expensive statue.

I wrote a letter to hottoys two months ago explaining the issues with their muscle bodies expecially the elbow cracking, because a metal piece is not a solution for a durable articulation.. ( I broke 2 muscle body elbows trying to change the pose !! :duh:banghead:mad: ).

The other point in the letter was the waist articulatión.:I think it could be easily fixed

Aesthetic....I dont play with those...

It's aesthetics for me. I don't change poses on my figures often, but like the freedom of being able to select the pose I choose to leave it in, rather than have it determined by a statue. Also, knowing I can change things around if I want to is a good feeling.

Bottom line for me, though, is I want these to look as realistic as possible, and that means no exposed or obvious joints.

Thats my vote too. I just want to pose it with a good look, put it on my shelf and be done with it. So Im fine with the Hellboys and Dutch bodys of the world....Im a lazy collector.

I'll take articulation over aesthetics any day. HT Dutch looks great but it's frustrating that you can't really pose him much :(
If people don't like exposed joints they should just stick with statues imho.

I admit the muscle bodies look great on characters like Dutch & HellBoy, but it's a small step away from an action figure into the realms of a 1/6th pose-able statue.

I know it would add to the cost of the figure, but maybe HT could include interchangeable arms in future releases, to retain the articulation we love.

Thats exactly what I was thinking why not just make a standard truetype body that would except and include interchangeable muscle arms.

Most of the issues with the exposed joints are the arms as most figures are clothed with only bare arms showing.

As for the the rubber GE has silicone that never rots or peal. Hot Toys needs to get in touch with GE perhaps or maybe 3M could help.

Imagine the hot toys Dutch with a normal true type... :lol it just wouldn't work.
Sometimes its needed and sometimes its not. I'm fine with the muscle bodies but if there not needed then the normal truetype is the way to go.

I agree, but I think the bodies like Goemon and Will Turners are a good mix of the two.

The new Wolverine looks to be the solution.

Articulation for me..the muscle body, while it does look nice, it does have risk of rubber rip when the figure is left in extreme pose for a long time. Dutch figure has already improved in term of shoulder articulation. Now, let's see if Hot Toys can modify the elbow joint.

I've got Dutch in the film poster pose. Just bend him at the knees and you've got the hunched over look.

I worry about muscled bodied figures when they're in transit to my home. It can get very warm sitting in the back of a delivery truck all day now that it's summer, and I'm always anxious when I receive a figure and the box is hot in my hands. I was so anxious when I received my HT Hellboy and Iron Man figures. The heat makes the rubber material (or a vinyl type material on Iron Man) softer and it gives in easier when pushed or prodded.

"I'll Take articulation for 500 Alex." Whats the point of having a figure of an ACTION star like Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch or Ron Pearlman as Hellboy if it has "limited" articulation. As a collector I want to put that character in an iconic pose from the movie or after a while change it to something that just looks cool. I'm not going to shell out nearly two hundred bucks for a figure that can't pull off a good wide open stance or hold up its weapon of choice without damaging it. Thats the reason I don't buy anything from NECA cuz their poseability sucks IMO except for the comic style TMNT figs, those are pretty damn sweet.

Last edited:

I voted standard truetype.

My HT Hellboy and Abe and both Dark Knight Batman figures are my personal favorites in this particular collection. I only open them up occasionally to admire and pose, then they get returned right back to their plastic and cardboard prisons. I've yet to purchase a decent glass display case yet, so I store them away to avoid the evil dust. However being summer now and living in an older home without central air, my room gets very hot. An average of about 90 degrees throughout the middle of the day. I've been stressing out constantly trying to keep my room as cool as possible, running multiple fans, opening windows, and checking the solidity and coloring of the rubber on the figures every other evening.

The rubber suits and bodies look very nice, and I suppose the loss of articulation is a fair trade. However, my impending concerns of the rubber bodies tarnishing in the California heat, splitting in my hands mid-pose, or just rotting with age are not. I prefer the exposed joints, at least I know they hold up to the elements.

By the way, does anyone happen to have any tips or info for me on this issue? Thanks in advance!

"I'll Take articulation for 500 Alex." Whats the point of having a figure of an ACTION star like Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch or Ron Pearlman as Hellboy if it has "limited" articulation. .

An equally strong argument can be made in saying ''whats the point of having a figure of a Hugely Physically Built action star like Arnold Schwarzennegger if it has a "scrawny" body. For Arnie in particular, and I say this with alarming man-love, his body is as important as his face - and I think he would agree.

Besides - Superarticulated plastic TT are readily available for anyone who wants to swap out muscle bodies. Characters for whom muscle is part of their appearance should by default have muscle bodies. Just added my vote for the muscle body. A vote for the muscle body will not jeopardise the future of the standard plastic TT, whereas the opposite could be true if everyone votes against it.

Last edited:

That's why I think the muscle body (used sparingly) is a good option.

An equally strong argument can be made in saying ''whats the point of having a figure of a Hugely Physically Built action star like Arnold Schwarzennegger if it has a "scrawny" body. For Arnie in particular, and I say this with alarming man-love, his body is as important as his face - and I think he would agree.

Besides - Superarticulated plastic TT are readily available for anyone who wants to swap out muscle bodies. Characters for whom muscle is part of their appearance should by default have muscle bodies. Just added my vote for the muscle body. A vote for the muscle body will not jeopardise the future of the standard plastic TT, whereas the opposite could be true if everyone votes against it.

allright then, how about this. if all that concerns you is the physique, would you then be happy with a Regular jointed body that was sculpted with much larger muscles. take for example, Medicoms goku, or their comic book wolverine. the arms on both figures are hard plastic, with standard joints, but are sculpted to match the characters physique.

Ditto for me. I've had the majority of my figures in the same pose for years, but I do have a handful of figures in the drawer from the Bond line for reenacting scenes from the movies (should 007 save 006 from falling?), to a limit...since I get really bored doing that after a few minutes. However, with that in mind my ultimate goal in capturing the essence of any movie is making the figure as realistic as possible, and joints just remind you of the opposite. Afterall, my motivations with most of my figures is to capture in 3D those movie, book or TV moments that left really indelible impressions in my imagination, which I'd like fleshing out as close as possible.

I'm not a stickler for flawless, seamless perfection, in that I'd try to hide joints as much as possible, whether with clothing or seamless joints but don't really care if the limbs underneath the clothing look withered away as a result of customization. I'd likewise "super articulate" certain joints under the clothing by taking the Dremel to the limit if it's necessary to achieve a specific pose (some iconic figure purists would probably flinch when they see what I did to my Cy Girl Nikki to have her crouch on a motorcycle).

I used to have fun dynamiting a pile of scrapwood to then fall on my GI Joe Adventure Team w/Kung Fu Grip, having my Mego Scotty go temporarily insane to attack the other Enterprise crew (my folks didnt' get me any of the villain figures), or shooting my Mego Superman with Kryptonite BB's. But that could only go so far nowadays for me since the realism levels of figures have radically improved over the decades which in turn has caused me to change how I look at them. However, since it still seems to boil down to preference with varied collectors, I'm not one to make my First Blood Rambo trot between some shrubery and mow down BBI law enforcement figures with his trusty and neato M60 nor would I make my Batman go down a zipline from the bedroom window or make real impact roundhouse kicks on my BBI Lucifer...different strokes I guess and more power to the imaginations of those people who do that...the thing still left in common amongst us is just that, the use of free-flowing imagination.

Last edited:
Back