Statue The Crack of Doom Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoboDad said:
Actually, that would be much more aesthetically pleasing. The added height lends more drama to the teetering Gollum pose.

I agree 100%. It won't look right if Gollum's just falling an inch onto my shelf.

The likenesses are indeed right on and nearly perfect. Great job in that regard. When SS debuted the other new line - they started with Lurtz. It was spectacular and really got things rolling. They badly needed to do that with the debut piece in the diorama series. They failed badly. What they did show us was a small vignette of two figures on an even smaller fragment of colored rock. They could be out in the Rockies for all we know. It looks like some trinket or Niagra Falls type souvenier.

This is suppose to be a diorama series. A diorama by necessity demands scenery and an environment in which to place the figures and the action between them. What we have here is only the barest whisps of scenery. I have at least five other SSW figures that WERE NOT part of the diorama series but which have more scenery attached to them. Just look at the MORGUL LORD UPON FELL BEAST, the ATACK TROLL IN MINAS TIRITH to compare. Even the MORIA ARCHER and GIMLI have better and more detailed rock than this effort.

Some people excuse this saying what else would you want? What I want is something that truly lives up to the name of the series. I want a diorama with scenery and an enviornment. If that scene did not lend itself to it, then they should not have chosen it. But I think you could still do than scene with added scenery. They could have filled in a half circle of wall around it with lighting effects.... they could have expanded the base all around to give us more ... they could have elevated the rock higher .... but they took the easy - and perhaps cheaper way out.

The price is excellent. But I would gladly have paid twice the asking price for a complete envoronment that is a true diorama.

RoboDad said:
Actually, that would be much more aesthetically pleasing. The added height lends more drama to the teetering Gollum pose.

Bingo.

As a matter of fact, I would prefer even more height than that! A more dynamic sculpt to the cliff so that it has a slight overhang to the edge by Gollum.

LOTRFan said:
As expected ;) , Josh I am not comparing this to a toy. Surely this has artistic merit and value in heeps, for what it is. The sculpts on both characters are amazing, in such limited scale.

I posted the pic because for presence in a display, and the absence of any real surrounding - I am left with this as a close analogy. I just don't find this piece being an effective part of my display, it would have the same presence as say the ToyBiz Frodo.

I agree that the sculpts are amazing. However, I don't agree at all that even with the lack of height that it would have the same presence as anything Toy Biz made in any collection. I think the piece needs to be given the chance to be seen what the impact is on ones collection.

lakeshouse said:
Not sure whether this is better... there wasn't much Sideshow could've done with the base...

I would have loved the added height like that. Would have made an already cool piece cooler.

Last edited:
WOW. That added height looks fantastic, seriously if SS changed it to that I would have an order in instantly. It really needs to be done.
The base is very important with pieces like this, I hope they change this and, also consider the important of the environmental bases for future dioramas

Good thing is, this diorama has no base except for the bit of environment. It shouldn't be too hard to sculpt an extension for it.

Seretur said:
Good thing is, this diorama has no base except for the bit of environment. It shouldn't be too hard to sculpt an extension for it.

I was thinking the same thing. I used to make bases for my LOTR game workshop pieces so I think I could tackle this. The photoshoped cliff adds alot of drama I think.

gideon said:
It looks like some trinket or Niagra Falls type souvenier.

My sentiments exactly. Don't get me wrong, the sculpt itself is fantastic. The Frodo and Gollum figures are superior in likeness to anything I've ever seen by SS/Weta, but this should not have been a 1/9 scale piece. I for one am not interested in two 4" statues on a 2" base [what happened to the base shown in the video? I think it looked alot better than this new one]. Aside from the size issue, what kind of paint job can we expect to see from this piece? The SS pictures look great, but does anyone expect to get that type of quality on theirs? I think a more likely scenario is we will see the type of paint job we got on the $75 Gollum companion piece...not a pretty picture!

I am extremely disappointed this is the best SS has to offer after a year of practically no activity. As a LOTR collector I'm starting to feel like a 2nd class citizen, especially when I see what SS is doing with their Marvel and Star Wars licences. Does anyone really believe this stacks up well against the products being offered to Marvel and Star Wars fans?

I have no doubt this diorama will sell very well, but is it because it is a truly great piece, or is it simply because it's the only thing we've had to look forward to in a very long time?

lakeshouse said:
Not sure whether this is better... there wasn't much Sideshow could've done with the base...

It's really amazing how much this adds to this piece. SO much better, and more along what I originally expected and hoped for. And even Trevolver approves!!! :cool: Make the base taller sideshow!!! Please!

I do like the added height! I'm always looking to improve my work, though! this happens to give it a nice dramatic flare, and helps in the 'lit' paint effect! one negative to doing this is what it would look like from other angles...but there are creative solutions.

a lot of things can change either while you are making something, or just before you're making something. Sometimes that can even mean scales. it's really not entirely all up to Sideshow...just something to bear in mind.
Tootles!
Trev

I actually like this statue very much. I can't wait to get my hands on it and what ever else comes out next.

Fake edit: I may end up making the larger base myself. It does not look that hard :)

gideon said:
The price is excellent. But I would gladly have paid twice the asking price for a complete envoronment that is a true diorama.

I agree 100%.

Statue is very nice, but it's such a shame that the base is so small.
Adding the height as in the photoshopped picture would be great and not that difficult ...
Adding even more would be even better ...

But please Sideshow just add some height to the piece !

Would they be able to do that? Now the piece is finished, could they add anything to it now? And if so would it affect the price and shipping estimate?

If I was getting this piece I think I'd appreciate that it didn't have a huge base. I have more than enough pieces that won't fit in a standard bookcase shelf, I don't need more, especially when the scale dictates a smaller overall size.

You can always display these on the top edge of your refrigerator or precariously balanced on the blade of a ceiling fan that never gets turned on. That would give some context to the drama in the piece.

Darklord Dave said:
If I was getting this piece I think I'd appreciate that it didn't have a huge base. I have more than enough pieces that won't fit in a standard bookcase shelf, I don't need more, especially when the scale dictates a smaller overall size.

I have to disagree. Sideshow should be creating each piece individually and on it's own merits. Except for your post, I don't think that anyone has argued that the piece would not have benefitted from a slightly larger base to both highlight the struggle between the two characters in this climatic moment of the film but also to highlight the complete statue itself.

It doesn't have to be "huge" in the sense of a two foot tall cliff, but perhaps enough to make the piece 10-12 inches tall? Easily fits in most shelves and provides the piece with enough substance, drama, etc., and it's exactly because of the smaller scale that it can be reasonably done.

Agreed. They'd have to add a whole heck of a lot to make it not fit in a standard bookshelf.

Back