The Complete Making of Indiana Jones by J.W. Rinzler

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A real headshaker is how many studios turned down Raiders. You’ve got the two highest-grossing filmmakers, the guys who made Star Wars and Jaws collaborating on a joint project they know is a blockbuster, and studio execs say no. WTF! How dumb are some people?

They set up a ballbusting deal. Even Paramount was scared. Barry Diller told Michael Eisner if it wasn't a hit, it would mean his job. Also Speilberg was in aslump after 1941 and no one (but Lucas) thought he could stay on budget. One studio told Lucas they'd do it if he dropped Speilberg!

I just got this book for my birthday and read it in two days! It's fascinating and incredibly detailed. In fact, sometimes it's dry as Rintzler goes on about shoot days where nothing anecdotal happened. And reading how detailed teh Crystal Skull section is, I can understand why they held this book until the movie's release.

I would agree. The details behind the creating the movies is great. How they came up with the stories and characters is very fscinating. The shooting stuff is hit or miss depending on what went on.

Just got the HC version!!! :rock :rock :rock Great looking book, alot of stuff in it JUST like The Making Of Star Wars. And they look great standing next to each other.

I just ordered the HC from amazon.co.uk

I'm sure a month from now a U.S. HC will be released with additional pages. :banghead

Watched the movie sunday so it means i can get this now, big fan of making the movie books but always buy them after i seen the film.

By the way, this book makes it utterly clear that Lucas was adament about aliens being in the movie all the way.

I think we could have figured that out without even seeing this book.:lol

Actually, there were a couple of people on here who were disputing this (can't remember who). Anyway, the book makes it absolutely clear. There are quotes from Lucas, Spielberg, Ford and others all saying the same thing: that Lucas wanted aliens (and in fact, the original MacGuffin was a live Roswell alien) and Spielberg and Ford balked until Lucas thought up the Crystal Skull connection... but he STILL demanded that aliens be in it somehow. He was also the one who insisted that it be done in the vein of 1950s sci-fi B-movies.

Also, I got a kick out of the different titles for the movie through the many drafts:

Indiana Jones and The Saucermen From Mars
Indiana Jones and The City of The Gods
Indiana Jones and The Phantom City of Gods
Indiana Jones and The Atomic Ants :confused:
Indiana Jones and The Destroyer of Worlds
Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull

Actually, there were a couple of people on here who were disputing this (can't remember who). Anyway, the book makes it absolutely clear. There are quotes from Lucas, Spielberg, Ford and others all saying the same thing: that Lucas wanted aliens (and in fact, the original MacGuffin was a live Roswell alien) and Spielberg and Ford balked until Lucas thought up the Crystal Skull connection... but he STILL demanded that aliens be in it somehow. He was also the one who insisted that it be done in the vein of 1950s sci-fi B-movies.

Also, I got a kick out of the different titles for the movie through the many drafts:

Indiana Jones and The Saucermen From Mars
Indiana Jones and The City of The Gods
Indiana Jones and The Phantom City of Gods
Indiana Jones and The Atomic Ants :confused:
Indiana Jones and The Destroyer of Worlds
Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull

Best title, Indiana Jones and The City of The Gods thanks a lot GL. :banghead

I browsed this book at Barnes & Noble the other day. It looked like it had a lot of great info. A couple of questions:

1. I heard Sean Connery declined a cameo in KOTCS. Did the book mention that?

2. Does amazon.com ship this shrink wrapped? I'm quite anal about the condition of fancy books like this. I'll have to get the hardcover but I don't want the edges torn in transit.

And I actually like "Indiana Jones and the Saucermen From Mars." Of the possible titles it has the greatest 50's Sci-Fi/Monster movie ring to it.

And I actually like "Indiana Jones and the Saucermen From Mars." Of the possible titles it has the greatest 50's Sci-Fi/Monster movie ring to it.

To be honest, I wish they'd gone back to using that original title as well. Yes, they weren't really from Mars, but that title just fits that whole genre and era. Plus, more people would have known what to expect from the flick.

Oh well. At least they made it a line in the movie.

Irish was there any mention of Connery being approached for Indy IV?

Yeah, there is a brief mention of that (including the official comment from Connery saying that if anything would bring him out of retirement, it would be Indy, etc).

Yeah, but in many ways it would have been interesting to possibly see all three generations of Henrys together (and how they play off each other). I think, though, that it would have just been a cameo during the wedding scene.

Back