The Chris Chulamanis Memorial Custom USCM Figure Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would really be nice if through all this " I mean when this project is done" someone could step up to the plate and start producing the Colonial Marine kits again "legally of course".

Does anyone know if Chris had a partner with his model company? Although I never met him he seemed very nice
I had him send me both a Apone and Hudson head and some uniforms before his passing. I never did get around to ordering a armor set or 2 or any Uniform patches. Oh and that APC WoW! that was exciting news when that was announced amazing!

Last edited:
What would really be nice if through all this someone could step up to the plate and start producing the Colonial Marine kits again "legally of course".

Does anyone know if Chris had a partner with his model company? Although I never met him he seemed very nice
I had him send me both a Apone and Hudson head and some uniforms before his passing. I never did get around to ordering a armor set or 2 or any Uniform patches. Oh and that APC WoW! that was exciting news when that was announced amazing!

No, we need to get the Chris figure finished and delivered before any thoughts like that should even be considered.

Progress on my end has been incredibly slow.:banghead I've got a box of parts, a big box of parts for the base, and just need to put the darn thing together. I keep wondering whether to light it or not, and that keeps bogging me down as I research el wire, grain of wheat bultbs, resistors, etc. All this electric gobbledygook

Lord knows I've been pummelled by the 1:1 over the last year and a half but its a shame to see that this project really lost its steam. :monkey2

It seems we've all had a heaping cuffload of LIFE since this project got started. I'm still determined to come through with my contributions, or drop dead trying! lol My computer has been resurrected after 8 months of being in cyber limbo hell, so at least I can effectively communicate with you all again. :wave

I've also acquired a 1:1 SA USCM BDU, with a full set of SA Hicks armour and a Hollywood Collectibles PR replica on the way, by year's end hopefully. And I'm seriously beginning plans to attend D-Con next summer so I can be there in person when our completed figure of Chris is presented to his wife.

We now have a whole year until next year's Dragon Con to get this figure finsished... Let's get our collective acts together and make 2010 the year we finally make it happen!!! Any of you guys with me?

It seems we've all had a heaping cuffload of LIFE since this project got started. I'm still determined to come through with my contributions, or drop dead trying! lol My computer has been resurrected after 8 months of being in cyber limbo hell, so at least I can effectively communicate with you all again. :wave

I've also acquired a 1:1 SA USCM BDU, with a full set of SA Hicks armour and a Hollywood Collectibles PR replica on the way, by year's end hopefully. And I'm seriously beginning plans to attend D-Con next summer so I can be there in person when our completed figure of Chris is presented to his wife.

We now have a whole year until next year's Dragon Con to get this figure finsished... Let's get our collective acts together and make 2010 the year we finally make it happen!!! Any of you guys with me?

Outstanding! I agree completely. Due to many varied factors, this project has languished for far, far too long. Let's get 'er done!

Yeah, I am with you too! I was able to talk to Chris a few times in e-mails. I got his custom pulse rifle, some of the "Gerber" black boot knives, that great U.S.C.M. fabric patches set, and a marine helmet from him before his passing. What a great guy he was! Very friendly and caring. I'd love to go to Dragon Con next year, and Mudshark I'd love see you present the completed 1/6 scale figure of Chris to his wife! :D

Yeah, I am with you too! I was able to talk to Chris a few times in e-mails. I got his custom pulse rifle, some of the "Gerber" black boot knives, that great U.S.C.M. fabric patches set, and a marine helmet from him before his passing. What a great guy he was! Very friendly and caring. I'd love to go to Dragon Con next year, and Mudshark I'd love see you present the completed 1/6 scale figure of Chris to his wife! :D

Chris truly was one of the very best!!! Like you Mike, I also bought a lot of cool USCM stuff from him, and had some very interesting and enjoyable conversations with him via emails... it's really too bad neither one of us ever got to meet him in person... :(

Brothers Ironman1188, Les Walker, DAJosh, and Stendec were the guys who initially got this thread started, and Hollis DZC knew "FNG" Chris personally. I eagerly came on board this project, too, along with numerous other contributors and supporters. Since Les and Josh seemed to be so busy with their commission work at the time, I sort of volunteered to make up a "worklist", so that everyone involved could keep track of contributions and so forth.

It would be great if everyone who worked on the project could be there at D-Con '10 for the presentation, but I think Hollis DZC should have the honor of actually presenting the figure to Joy, since Chris was a personal friend. That's just my own opinion, though. What really needs to happen first is for us to finish the figure before next summer rolls around!!!

PS: I'd love to attend Dragon Con next summer and meet all you guys who live in the Southlands in person, if any of you are planning to be there. I'm still in the early planning stage at this point, but if things work out I definitely want to be there when Joy receives our tribute to Pfc. "FNG" Chris Chulamanis!

I can definitely fade the clothing and give it small wear here and there, make it dirty in areas if he is to be "straight from a bug hunt"... whatever needs to be done.

As for pose, when it is assembled and finished we can always print out some pics and maybe make a card with all of the artist and contributor sigs on it. Would be a nice way to show we care and give her an idea of what the pose was when it was made and shots that were taken.

I definitely second this great idea! It'd be even more special if some of us could actually be there in person when she receives it!

I am still working on the head, so bear with me guys. With all else I have to do this week, he's in there, just not done yet. When I get him finished, I may just send him on to whoever is putting the figure together, and let someone else mold and cast him if they so desire. I just don't have time to do that. My main objective is the get the head reworked and painted. So, that is the best I can do.

Since the portrait of Chris is so crucial to the success of this project, this will be an enormous contribution. We absolutely need your help with this, bro!

So to that end, here's a repost of the work list just to remind everyone where we are with the project. Hopefully the key people will chime in just to touch bases soon so we can get this thing moving again. :duff

Chris Chulamanis Memorial Figure Project - Item Checklist

Figure:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Models - G2 body (Ironman1188)
Dragon Models - Head (Ironman1188)
* Painting: Les Walker

Uniform:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVA Models USCM Camo BDU Shirt/Trousers (Ironman1188)
* Weathering: DA Josh
Patches/Insignia: (HollisDZC: for helmet cover / Ironman1188: for uniform)
* Application: (DA Josh?)
Boots: Toy Soldier - Vietnam Jungle Boots w/Panama soles (DBoz)
* Weathering: DA Josh

Basic Equipment:
USCM Web Belt & Pouches (EVA Models: resin / Hot Toys: cloth) - (contributor?)
Portable Welder (EVA Models / Hot Toys) - (HollisDZC / tigerfeet)
Motion Tracker (EVA Models / Hot Toys) - (tigerfeet)
Belt Clip/Power Unit (Hot Toys) - (contributor?)
USCM Wristwatch/PDT (EVA / Hot Toys) - (HollisDZC)

Special Equipment:
Grenade Bandolier, Web, 12 loops w/plastic buckle - (custom?)
Shotgun Holster w/strap (Hicks type) - (Ironman1188?)
Electronic Bypass Kit Pouch (Hudson type) - (custom?)
PDT Locator (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
OG Utility Pouch (like first aid kit) - (custom?)

Body Armour:
Torso/Back, Groin and Greaves (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
Helmet & Camo Cover (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
Lamp Unit (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
* Assembly/Painting: Mudshark

Weapons:
M41A Pulse Rifle w/Sling - (Mudshark)
* Assembly/Painting: Mudshark
Shotgun - (contributor?)
Gerber Mk. II Combat Knife - (Ironman1188 or Mudshark)
M40 Grenades, HE (red cap) x 20 - (HollisDZC / tigerfeet/ more needed)
* Painting: Mudshark

Custom Base/Plaque:
Base construction - (HollisDZC) / donation offer - (tigerfeet)

Outstanding job putting the above list together Mudshark! Guys, I'm guilty as the rest for not getting the base done yet. My apologies. I've gathered parts, bits, etc. and just get more stuff for it. Pretty soon, I have to pare stuff out, so there's room for Chris!

Let us make a committment to getting this done in the next 3 months. Does that sound do-able? We need to get this to Joy. We need to do our part to put a smile on the lady's face.

I'll be up for anyone busting my ass if I don't have some damn progress pics of the base soon!! :banghead

I'm looking at a pic of Chris and I at DCon07. We gotta make this happen guys. Gotta.

Mudshark, did you get my PM? I sent you a reply to your email. For some reason, when I try to reply, it bounces back. I'll PM you my new addy.

And yes, I have reserved space for you in the USCM Suite!! You'd best be prepared for one wild, fun-filled incredible time!!!

-Rex

Thanks for checking in guys! I'd love to see this happen within 3 months! It may be a tough goal to achieve unless everyone's completely on board, but it's definitely a good one to shoot for and should get some of us properly motivated, myself included... :whip

I also want to mention that all of the items in RED TEXT on the worklist are pieces of gear, etc. still needed to complete the project. Some of it will probably need to be fabricated or kit-bashed, but if anyone thinks they have something that will work, please post your comments!

* tigerfeet: You've already contributed a load of great gear, bro, but if you've still got some more grenades you're willing to part with, we can definitely use them for that extra bandolier Chris wore in some of the pics I've seen. Please LMK. :cool:

What type of shotgun is needed?

Ideally, an Ithaca Model 37 12-gauge pump w/combat grip...

For comparison: Top - Hot Toys (came with Hicks figure), Bottom - 21st Century Toys. Both have combat pistol grip, HT version slide does not move, 21st version slide moves.
P1010048-1.jpg

HT version came with the shotgun case pictured below, a very nicely extra. (The EVA Hicks shotgun model kit was all resin and the shotgun could not be removed from case.)
P1010049-1.jpg

The 21st version correctly has the ejection port underneath, the HT version has it on the right side, which is not correct. Also, the slide and other details on the 21st version, while not perfect, are generally more accurate than the HT version.
P1010050.jpg

Here you can see some of the differences for yourself.
P1010051-1.jpg

Note: If anyone has either an EVA or the Hot Toys Hicks shotgun & case to spare, please let us know! (Unfortunately, these are already spoken for... I need 'em for my HT Hicks project...)

Last edited:
*IN MEMORIAM*
FNGpic.jpg

Chris Chulamanis - "FNG"
Aug. 16, 1949 - Jan. 10, 2008

Rock on guys! Chris will never be forgotten! :rock

I am still in, just buried in work and stuff, but his head stares at me daily and I will endeavor to show something for this soon. I would love to be there for any ceremony also of course, if time, and money allow.
One can hope. I will try.

I am still in, just buried in work and stuff, but his head stares at me daily and I will endeavor to show something for this soon. I would love to be there for any ceremony also of course, if time, and money allow.

I really do hope you can make it, buddy. My wife and I are planning to be there, already got our Dragon Con memberships & everything. It's a looong way for us to go, but I also want to be there when our completed memorial figure of Chris is presented to his wife.

Hollis DZC (Rex) said she didn't attend the Con last year, but if we can finish the figure in time, then hopefully arrangements can be made to present it to her in person. If so, it would be all the more memorable if everybody who worked on the project could be there, too, if there's any way you guys can swing it.

It would also be a blast (and a privilege) to finally meet all you guys in person! I don't know if we'll ever get another chance like this. Anyway, please think it over. There's still time to work things out. In the meantime, let's do our best to finish this project before the summer rolls around again!!!

Amen to that.
It is unfortunate that so much got in the way of what was trully a great gesture being one more timely. Hopefully when it is finally done our work can still be seen as a tribute and not something that opens old wound.

Back