The Bridge Direct's The Hobbit Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it will never happen :(, but even if it did, I wouldn't expect them to produce very much. :(

That's a good point - HT very rarely finishes out a line unless the license in question does amazing at the box office. All of us who were annoyed that SSC didn't finish out the 1:6 Fellowship would be even more so if we got an amazing HT Gandalf and no one to pose him with.

I'd buy the entire Fellowship if Hot Toys made them.

Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Strider, Boromir, Merry, Pippin, Legolas and Gimli.

I'd buy a Ringwraith and Lurtz too. They'd never make a line that big though.

Looks like the UK is getting a new 4" figure three-pack of Balin, Gandalf, and Tauriel.

Picked up a few two-packs over the last couple weeks. Dwalin and Balin and Bilbo and Gollum. Balin's arm wasn't plugged all the way into the body, but a little hot water and it popped in. I'm really pretty impressed by these.... Kili and Fili will be mine soon!

Any news on wave 2?

I bought Gandalf, Legolas and Thorin at FYE for 17 bucks a pop. I almost bought them at books-a-million but they were 22 dollars a piece.

Here are some quick thoughts,

Gandalf

Great sculpt and paint applications. The figure is very solid and well made. Nothing about it feels cheap and the paint is nice and clean (maybe too clean) I'd say as far as details go it's on par and as good as the Toy Biz Gandalf the Grey figures.

The staff is great and the Glamdring sword is a nice hard plastic. Not that soft crap that Toy Biz used for a few of their figures in the second Fellowship wave (like arrow shooting Aragorn).

What I don't like? The articulation and scarf. I'm no articulation fiend but this figure is no different in the package than out. The head is clearly ball jointed but with the beard and scarf, you'd never know it. I hate how the head is tilted to the side and the range of motion (or lack there of). The skirt and legs are also problematic. He's fully articulated but everything is restricted.

The left foot on mine is really loose (not breakable though, just loose) so the figure can't stand with out the foot moving in. The left hand is also weird. At first I thought it was ball jointed because of the range of motion, turns out the peg just doesn't go in all the way due to the sleeves. The hand isn't broken or falling off, it just sort of tilts up and down and rotates like it's just hanging there.

Legolas

Legolas is great. He has a great sculpt that looks like Orlando Bloom. It's definitely one of the better Legolas sculpts. The armor is fantastic and the paint application on the face and body are very clean. The daggers are solid plastic and the elf designs/paint apps are fantastic. The arrows are nice and sharp and the quiver is a nice touch.

The bow is crap though. It's too thick and doesn't fit in his hands. It also doesn't have a string which makes it pointless. The sheaths for the daggers are also useless as the daggers don't fit in them properly. I also don't like how the quiver fits on his back, it just hangs there loosely by a single peg and his hair gets in the way.

Legolas suffers from the same problems Gandalf does. All the articulation and movement is restricted, he basically just stands there in a neutral pose. His head can't really move because of the flowing hair and the legs are pretty much static even though he has ball hips and knees. He doesn't look good holding the weapons.

It's also worth noting he's smaller than the Toy Biz Legolas figures. Then again, all the Toy Biz Legolas figures were way too tall. The Uruk Hai and other elf figures had the same problem. They had unnaturally long limbs.

Thorin

Probably my favorite of the three. Again, fantastic sculpting here. The dwarf clothes, the boots, the fur skins, he looks great. The swords and sheaths are also really nice and the blue colors of his outfit really make the figure pop.

He has more range of motion than the other two, especially if you take the fur skin off. It's nothing to write home about though, he's also pretty static.

So yeah. They're very well made with nice plastic (nothing feels cheap), the paint applications are all clean and crisp, the weapons are quality (save for Legolas' bow), and they're very detailed. However, while they're fully articulated, no poses are really achievable because it's hindered by lack of movement. They're better than I thought though, especially considering I didn't have high hopes for this so called "Bridge Direct".

They're alright, the prices are a bit of a killer though. Not sure if I'll get Bilbo for $17 plus.

i've read the descriptions of some of the other orcs that are out in uk stores i dont think we'll get them till wave 2 sadly in the states

Just started getting these! My local TRU has nothing but single-carded 4'' figures at the moment. Barnes & Noble got in the 6'' figures (sadly, Gandalf was already gone), the two-packs and the 5-pack. I decided to order everything online, except Gandalf and Grinnah. I really like the 4'' figures so far. I just bought the Narnia Telmarine Caste playset as a background for them. Hopefully everything will arrive within the week and I can take some pics.

I'm sad there's going to be such a long wait for Wave 2 (people were saying Summer, and I think I read that on Facebook... but now all the answers just say "before the next movie is out" and that it sounds like that'll be all we see before the next movie, too. I guess with spreading the story out to three years means we're not getting a ton of waves to begin with. I hope the dwarves aren't spaced out between all the movies though! I mean, it'll probably happen for the 6'' figures, but hopefully the 4'' figures will happen more quickly.

Still debating wether or not to get these... I ended up with a huge Toy-Biz collection from LOTR that I ended up selling when SS announced their 1/6th scale ones...
I was hoping that SS would announce the line but seems like it won't happen...

I had a big LOTR collection... sold it off... now I just bought a sizeable one again on Ebay. LOL. Sad, but I did miss them. And it was a good deal. :)

In the mail today I got the Goblin King/Thorin, Warg/Fimbul and Bolg/Battle Damaged Gandalf sets.

Fimbul and the Warg are very cool. I like the weapon choice you get, and the Warg design just seems cooler here than in LOTR. But... is Fimbul meant to ride on the Warg or just stand beside it? Just wondered, because despite the soft plastic and the fact his cape can detach from the back a bit... riding doesn't seem to be happening. Still, they both look great.

Bolg is spectacular. His mace is AMAZING and he looks totally badass with it. Lots of great detail on him. I did get the regular Gandalf, but I was happy to get this one as well. The dirt on his face and cloak is subtle, but kind of cool.

Thorin is, overall, a really nice figure. Very solidly made with a great look. I love that you can store all his weapons. I am annoyed by his arm shield though. There's no way in hell that was ever going to stay on by itself the way it was designed. So I had to wrap the plastic band around it again. At some point, I guess I might just glue it. The Goblin King is a superbly grotesque creature. The sculpt is fantastic and expressive. Love the crown and his staff. But... uh... is this really the best they could do on the paint job? Most of it is fine, but the pink really lacks subtlety of any kind. Once I can get some good reference for him (maybe in one of the tie-in books) I plan a repaint on this guy. But the figure itself is very nicely constructed.

Once I get the rest of my figures and my playset I'm sure I'll be taking some pictures. But so far I'm very pleased I took the plunge with this line!

Edit: Well, I'm still waiting for some of my two-packs to come from Hastings, but I got my Schleich Oracle playset and decided to takes some pictures! I still have to put the Telmarine Castle together, but I'll do that soon too. I can't wait to have a Galadriel to put in front of the Oracle along with the other elves!

8191647243_fdcdfa2297_c.jpg

8192734828_446a068c08_c.jpg

8191647369_41745d0e12_c.jpg

8192734922_e60cd73199_c.jpg

Yeah, you can find them for quite a bit cheaper online at a few places. I got a 6'' Gandalf from Amazon for about $15 which is pretty much the going rate for that scale these days.

I posted some new pictures up of the figures with the Telmarine Castle from the Narnia line. It's pretty awesome for a backdrop! There are more pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31045631@N00/

This is just a selection:

8198169899_0baf5da0ea_c.jpg

8198170031_ea44fb9353_c.jpg

8198170663_82416eb3f3_c.jpg

8198171159_0c39437257_c.jpg

All I can say is truly awesome photos...they look great even for their small size...Scleich does make some fantastic stuff...pricey but very well made by the Germans I believe

Goblin King is finaly out in the UK now i had them in the shop on Friday.

Really love the 3.75 inch scale. Good enough to display on my desk. Got most of the figures. Only missing the Goblin King and Thorin playset & fimbul and warg set. Hoping for these to be released here in Australia. Looking forward to more figures to come. I saw the invisible 3.75 inch bilbo figure in Toy'r us but decide not to buy it.

Last edited:
Yeah these guys are growing on me, still won't pay full retail on them and still can't stand seeing legolas in there with the dwarves ;)

Really love the 3.75 inch scale. Good enough to display on my desk. Got most of the figures. Only missing the Goblin King and Thorin playset & fimbul and warg set. Hoping for these to be released here in Australia. Looking forward to more figures to come. I saw the invisible 3.75 inch bilbo figure in Toy'r us but decide not to buy it.

Hey mate. Where did you get Bolg & Gandalf 2-pack? I've been searching Toys R Us and Big W for that but haven't found it yet. Also Fimbul & Warg. I know Thorin and Goblin King hasn't been released in Oz yet.

Hey mate. Where did you get Bolg & Gandalf 2-pack? I've been searching Toys R Us and Big W for that but haven't found it yet. Also Fimbul & Warg. I know Thorin and Goblin King hasn't been released in Oz yet.

Mate,

Go to centro bankstown myer. There are like 5 of the gandalf and bolg. But you have to pay 24.99 for these. I couldn't wait so I paid that amount. If u want the invisible 3.75 inch bilbo, I saw a couple at toys r us supacentre Moore park. Goodluck. Ya, can't wait for goblin king playset and fimbul and warg. I am missing thorin as I m waiting for that set. Let me know if u spot these. Thanks

Back