The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to say I'm glad somebody gets it, but then I moved to the next page and realized more than one person gets it. It's alright if you don't like the films Ween. But if you haven't even tried them, then that would be a shame.

I'm still far more into Nausicaa and P.M., than Spirited Away however. I guess I never grew up. Spirited Away seems like more mature story matter.

I love 'em all, but I think Princess Mononoke has the deepest themes.

My Neighbor Totoro is the first Ghibli film I saw...probably why it's my favorite. Instant buy for me.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QCJrCpBLoc[/ame]

Bad Ween! :thwak

Ghibli Studios makes some of the most beautiful and emotional animated movies out there. And don't think of them as the typical anime type movies. You should do yourself a favor and at least check out Spirited Away.

Btw, My Neighbor Totoro (my personal favorite) and Howl's Moving Castle come out on Tuesday.

I've never cared for Japanese anime.

Just because King got married, don't take your fustrations out on me! :pfft:

:D

I know DOCTOR WHO season 7 part 1 & 2 are out on Blu-Ray now.
When does the entire season 7 box set come out?
I checked Amazon and it says it's a pre-order with no release date.
Does anyone know?

Wohooo!! Blu Ray coming August 6th! :rock!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11331

Oblivion Blu-ray
Posted June 4, 2013 09:39 AM by Webmaster

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced and detailed the Blu-ray release of Oblivion. The post-apocalyptic action thriller stars Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo, and is set to arrive via a BD/DVD/UltraViolet combo pack on August 6th.

Synopsis: Based on director Joseph Kosinski's acclaimed graphic novel, Oblivion follows Jack Harper (Tom Cruise), a drone repairman working with his partner Vika (Riseborough) to salvage vital resources from a desolate, nearly-ruined future Earth. As their assignment approaches its final days, Jack rescues a beautiful stranger (Kurylenko) from a downed spacecraft, triggering a chain of events that forces him to question everything he knows, and leaves humanity's fate in his hands.

The Blu-ray release of Oblivion features 1080p video, a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track, and several extras:

Feature Commentary with Tom Cruise and director Joseph Kosinski
Deleted Scenes
Isolated Score
Promise of a New World - The Making of Oblivion:
Destiny: Conceptualization, development and pre-production
Voyage: The design and creation of the Bubble Ship (BD exclusive)
Combat: Action and stunts with Tom Cruise (BD exclusive)
Illusion: Post-production and visual effects
Harmony: The musical world of French electronic/shoegaze band M83

The Wizard of Oz: 3D IMAX Re-Release and 3D Blu-ray

Warner 90th AnniversaryTo celebrate the classic film's 75th anniversary, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is re-releasing The Wizard of Oz for an exclusive one-week 3D IMAX theatrical engagement on September 20th, then bringing the newly remastered presentation to stores and online retailers via a trio of Blu-ray releases, which street on October 1st:

3D/BD/DVD/UltraViolet Collector's Edition Box Set (5 discs)
3D/Blu-ray Combo Pack (2 discs)
Standard 2D Blu-ray (1 disc)

Official Synopsis: Adapted from L. Frank Baum's timeless children's tale about a Kansas girl's journey over the rainbow, The Wizard of Oz opened at Grauman's Chinese Theater on August 15, 1939. The film was directed by Victor Fleming (who that same year directed Gone With the Wind), produced by Mervyn LeRoy, and scored by Herbert Stothart, with music and lyrics by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg. Dorothy was portrayed by a 4'11" sixteen-year-old girl who quickly earned her reputation as the world's greatest entertainer: the incomparable Judy Garland. Ray Bolger appeared as the Scarecrow, Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion, Jack Haley as the Tin Man, and Frank Morgan in six different roles, chief among them the Wizard himself.

The Wizard of Oz received five Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture (Outstanding Production), and captured two Oscars -- Best Song ("Over the Rainbow") and Best Original Score -- plus a special award for Outstanding Juvenile Performance by Judy Garland. The film was an overwhelmingly popular and critical success upon its initial release, and repeated its ability to captivate audiences when MGM reissued the film in 1949 and 1955. The film made a new kind of history with its network television premiere in 1956 on CBS. Nearly 45 million people tuned in for this initial telecast, marking the beginning of an annual tradition. Ever since, The Wizard of Oz has been shown virtually annually on network (and then cable) television; its magical story and heartfelt performances have enabled it to grow from a perennial classic to its current status as a treasured icon of popular culture.

The 75th Anniversary Collector's Edition is a five-disc set that will include Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD and UltraViolet versions of the film; a new documentary, additional bonus features and premium collectibles. Special features will include:

"The Making of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz," a candid overview of how a troubled production overcame the odds to become an integral part of American culture features contributions from historians John Fricke and Sam Wasson, composers Stephen Schwartz and Marc Shaiman, critics Leonard Maltin and Michael Sragow, Bert Lahr's son John as well as revealing interview clips with Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Buddy Ebsen, Margaret Hamilton and Mervyn LeRoy, among others.

Exclusive Collectible Memorabilia, including a 75th Anniversary journal, Sparkle Ruby Slippers Globe, a 3-piece Noble Collection enamel pin set, a map of Oz, and a 48-page hardcover book.

All Previously Released Bonus Content

The 3D conversion was a long and complex project which Warner Bros. initiated with a very high resolution 8k scanning of the original Technicolor camera negative. The restored 2D image was then transformed by creating a depth-map of each frame to construct 3D imagery and determine distances from the viewer's vantage point. This was followed by the long process (with the use of a rotoscope) to further refine viewer distances and fully layer shapes and objects.

"We couldn't be happier to partner with IMAX as we celebrate the 75th anniversary of this iconic film," said Dan Fellman, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. "The Wizard of Oz IMAX 3D Experience is an integral part of our studio-wide anniversary initiative and we are excited to give fans the rare opportunity to see this stunning version on the big screen."

"People have asked for years about The Wizard of Oz 3D conversion. My answer was always, 'We're not doing it until it's perfect.' And now it is," said Ned Price, Warner Technical Operations' Vice President of Mastering. "As a kid, I was so enthralled by this film. Watching it, you just want to enter the frame, enter the Land of Oz. This new version will allow you to do just that."

They're going to release the 3D version of OZ in the theaters before the set is released. Not sure I'll bother though.

Yes, I do. And I do it quite well thank you. :)

phT0aip.gif

Back