The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

But im not getting a PS3. I just hate the Playstation....bad issues with the PS2....never want another Sony system again. Plus, none of the games intrest me in the slightest.

If you're thinking about getting a player, check the Black Friday ads. I haven't looked yet myself, but I've been reading that there are supposed to be some pretty nice machines from companies other than Sony available for around $149. Just make sure you get one that is at least profile 1.1. I'm sure companies will be liquidating their older, 1.0 machines as well, and you wouldn't want one of them.

Then, you could at least rent some discs, while you wait for prices to come down a bit.

These are the prices I paid the day these titles were released this year:

Incredible hulk $25.99
Sleeping Beauty $23.99
Iron Man $25.99
Transformers $24.99
National Treasure 1&2 $39.99
Rambo $22.95

As you can see none of them were $30, even the Disney movie which always tend to be more expensive. So as I said: "Almost there, most are $23-$25 when first released. Smaller titles are already $20."

Those prices are only for the first five days they're on sale. After that, they go back up to around $30.

Those prices are only for the first five days they're on sale. After that, they go back up to around $30.

Kind of reaching there but OK I'll bite. If you can't buy it the first week then buy it off of Amazon they are always those prices or lower with no tax and free shipping.

And before you say it..... if you have a blu-ray player and an HDTV you better have accesses to the internet and a credit/debit card............... :rolleyes:

What was the Target exclusive? Best Buy had it in steelbook. I didn't buy it because I really didn't care for the movie.

Exclusive packaging with Commander Fox and "Shipyards of Doom" comic.
11bpx1j.jpg
14kbqrn.jpg

I'm working at Target two days a week during the holiday season so I decided to get the exclusive. I haven't read the comic yet. It turned out to be bigger than I was expecting, it's 88 pages of story.

I think the Best Buy exclusive was DVD only.

Last edited:

New releases in-store tend to be $29.99 unless on sale and when they're on sale they're usually $27.99 or thereabouts.

Only fools shop in stores. I only pay more than $20 for box sets and even those are usually at 45% discount from MSRP. Shop intelligently.

Just when I thought the format war was over, today I open my Amazon Gold Box and see a special offer to purchase "Blades of Glory" on HD DVD for only $34.19.

Should I do it?

61DEn4-cGJL._SL120_.jpg

Haha!!

I still think the best deal was last week. Even before Friday, Amazon had tons of BRs for only 9.99.

And the best deal to me for GOOD BRs was the Kill Bill 1 & 2 for like 20 bucks. I had a couple too!!

I have a question for all you PS3 + Blu-ray + HDTV owners...

When you play Bluray movies in your ps3, does it play with the top and bottom black bars on your tv set? Ive adjusted the TV set to the proper setting and when I play normal DVDs in the PS3 the picture takes up the whole screen.

Just thought about this the other day and couldnt figure it out. If there's a way to make the Bluray movies play fullscreen without the black bars and still keep the proper aspect ratio I'd much prefer that. Do I have to change a setting on the PS3 or something?

They still don't have a standard format. Movies are still shot in to many different aspect ratios. That why some fill your screen fully and some you will get black bars, even with a widescreen tv. Until all the studios get onboard with one another, which will never happen, we will get random views!

And soon TVs will be in 16:10 instead of 16:9, which will be awesome! Really wide, almost wraparound!!

They still don't have a standard format. Movies are still shot in to many different aspect ratios. That why some fill your screen fully and some you will get black bars, even with a widescreen tv. Until all the studios get onboard with one another, which will never happen, we will get random views!

And soon TVs will be in 16:10 instead of 16:9, which will be awesome! Really wide, almost wraparound!!

Ah thanks for clarifying. I was like "wtf, shouldn't blu ray be 16:9 and fill up the whole screen since I have a hdtv widescreen!?"

Ah thanks for clarifying. I was like "wtf, shouldn't blu ray be 16:9 and fill up the whole screen since I have a hdtv widescreen!?"

16:9 is a 1.78:1 aspect ratio so the only way you won't see black bars is if the film is shot in this ratio, which usually they aren't. Most films are shot in a 1.85:1 or 2.39:1. They usually list on the back of the movie case what it's aspect ratio is. That way you can go in expecting what to see.

16:9 is a 1.78:1 aspect ratio so the only way you won't see black bars is if the film is shot in this ratio, which usually they aren't. Most films are shot in a 1.85:1 or 2.39:1. They usually list on the back of the movie case what it's aspect ratio is. That way you can go in expecting what to see.

any reason why they are not shot in 16:9? Is it not wide enough?

Only a few of my BRs take up the whole 16:9 screen (I'm using a PS3, as well). Godfather trilogy, Planet Earth, Shawshank, Clockwork Orange...not many. I do love when the entire screen is filled though the black bars really aren't that bothersome.

Back