The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s nice they are interviewing absolutely everyone (except Sigourney lol!) but after watching a ton of documentaries and reading a ton of books on Aliens I find it hard to believe this will offer much more

From what I understand is they will be dissecting the film practically scene by scene. I don’t recall where I read that I could be remembering wrong but I jumped on this when it was announced. I like all the stuff they have done. I can’t get enough of Documentaries about my fav films.

I finally watched True Lies 4K and yeah it gets quite ugly to watch at times. At times it looks amazing, night time scenes look good with that trademark Cameron wet blue look but the those Florida daytime scenes look like everyone has had plastic surgery. I mean they probably have, but it looks baaaad, way too much artificial processing. I’m dreading watching Aliens now.

Lol
IMG_5017.jpeg

Double lol
IMG_5018.jpeg

IMG_5019.jpeg

North By Northwest 4K - sign me up
IMG_5020.jpeg

Also interview with Fincher on restoration of Se7en, there are some comments in here that pi** me off …
https://www.indiewire.com/features/interviews/seven-remastered-david-fincher-interview-1234974911/
He’s also working on Panic Room 4K. I watched this the other night, still a really fun film and yes really needs a remaster, it didn’t look good in HD.

I finally watched True Lies 4K and yeah it gets quite ugly to watch at times. At times it looks amazing, night time scenes look good with that trademark Cameron wet blue look but the those Florida daytime scenes look like everyone has had plastic surgery. I mean they probably have, but it looks baaaad, way too much artificial processing. I’m dreading watching Aliens now.
And to add insult to injury I watched the documentary and it’s garbage as well. For years I kept hearing that one of the main reasons they kept delaying the release of this was because in a post 9-11 world they couldn’t just release it without addressing the villain in the film. But clearly enough time has passed in the mind of JC because out of 40 minutes he talks about it for < 30 seconds. Under Pressure this ain’t.

I went ahead and ordered ALIENS, The Abyss, and True Lies on 4K disc and True Lies was the first to arrive yesterday so I watched that one last night.

It looked AMAZING. Which is so encouraging because I know that that is supposedly the "bad one."

Of course I was braced for the waxy faces but after being scarred by that first appalling Predator 4K disc I was happy to see that at its very worst TL was still FAR better than that infamous earlier release.

Now some of this might just be my fading middle-aged eyesight but I thought that easily 90% or more of this film looked just perfect and exactly as I remembered it in the theater (I saw it three times in 1994.) The waxy DNR seemed to only exist on medium shots and never close-ups (and thank God because there are a LOT of extreme close-ups in this movie.) The close-up of Arnold holding the gun while looking up at the terrorist leader in the elevator might just be the greatest hero shot of his career.

Sometimes the waxiness would go in and out from shot to shot but for the most part I didn't see it at all. One place I thought I noticed it was when Harry was sitting with Helen at dinner after her first meeting with Simon. She's going on with her made up story and it does that famous close-up of him sitting there angrily and then there's the medium shot of him saying "so a little excitement in an otherwise dull day" and the slight waxiness was there in the medium shot but not the close-up.

I might seem like I'm over-analyzing it now but I assure you that for VAST sections of the film I was just caught up in the movie and forgot to even look for imperfections in the transfer. It did hit me during the extended sequence where Helen is in the interrogation room that I didn't notice a *single* shot of waxiness and that sequence was constantly alternating between medium shots and close-ups. So to whatever degree they did that AI grain removal it in no way impacted my ability to enjoy the film, so much so that like I mentioned before I often forgot to even be on the lookout for it.

For a while I felt like they might be singling out Harry's Arabian teammate for waxiness and then I realized that he might simply have baby smooth skin, lol.

**** ON TO THE MOVIE ITSELF ****

Man does this film hold up! So much freaking fun and so satisfying all around. It's funny because as annoying as it was to wait so long for this to get a HD release it ended up being a movie that I didn't watch for so many years that seeing it now (with damn near theater auditorium picture quality) it really took me back to 1994. It's amazing how convincing so many of the visuals still are and I'm go glad that Cameron didn't feel the inclination to "touch up" anything. Never before have I been so happy to see scenes (Harry being chased by the skiers, riding the horse) where its so obviously a stuntman and not some Cenobite CGI abomination.

I know there's a couple shots where they digitally inserted Arnold into the real flying Harrier but I'm fine with those because those were done for the original theatrical release AND are totally convincing!

I realize that there are only three films now with this combination:

Arnold
Cameron
R-rating
Brad Fiedel

And that's T1, T2, and True Lies. So kind of an unofficial trilogy there that I'm sad didn't ever get to continue.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered ALIENS, The Abyss, and True Lies on 4K disc and True Lies was the first to arrive yesterday so I watched that one last night.

It looked AMAZING. Which is so encouraging because I know that that is supposedly the "bad one."

Of course I was braced for the waxy faces but after being scarred by that first appalling Predator 4K disc I was happy to see that at its very worst TL was still FAR better than that infamous earlier release.

Now some of this might just be my fading middle-aged eyesight but I thought that easily 90% or more of this film looked just perfect and exactly as I remembered it in the theater (I saw it three times in 1994.) The waxy DNR seemed to only exist on medium shots and never close-ups (and thank God because there are a LOT of extreme close-ups in this movie.) The close-up of Arnold holding the gun while looking up at the terrorist leader in the elevator might just be the greatest hero shot of his career.

Sometimes the waxiness would go in and out from shot to shot but for the most part I didn't see it at all. One place I thought I noticed it was when Harry was sitting with Helen at dinner after her first meeting with Simon. She's going on with her made up story and it does that famous close-up of him sitting there angrily and then there's the medium shot of him saying "so a little excitement in an otherwise dull day" and the slight waxiness was there in the medium shot but not the close-up.

I might seem like I'm over-analyzing it now but I assure you that for VAST sections of the film I was just caught up in the movie and forgot to even look for imperfections in the transfer. It did hit me during the extended sequence where Helen is in the interrogation room that I didn't notice a *single* shot of waxiness and that sequence was constantly alternating between medium shots and close-ups. So to whatever degree they did that AI grain removal it in no way impacted my ability to enjoy the film, so much so that like I mentioned before I often forgot to even be on the lookout for it.

For a while I felt like they might be singling out Harry's Arabian teammate for waxiness and then I realized that he might simply have baby smooth skin, lol.

Man does this film hold up! So much freaking fun and so satisfying all around. It's funny because as annoying as it was to wait so long for this to get a HD release it ended up being a movie that I didn't watch for so many years that seeing it now (with damn near theater auditorium picture quality) it really took me back to 1994. It's amazing how convincing so many of the visuals still are and I'm go glad that Cameron didn't feel the inclination to "touch up" anything. Never before have I been so happy to see scenes (Harry being chased by the skiers, riding the horse) where its so obviously a stuntman and not some Cenobite CGI abomination.

I know there's a couple shots where they digitally inserted Arnold into the real flying Harrier but I'm fine with those because those were done for the original theatrical release AND are totally convincing!

Arnold
Cameron
R-rating
Brad Fiedel

And that's T1, T2, and True Lies. So kind of an unofficial trilogy there that I'm sad didn't ever get to continue.
I was very worried that this movie wasn’t going to hold up after all of these years but thankfully that wasn’t the case.

Super entertaining.

Was not bothered by the transfer whatsoever.

I was very worried that this movie wasn’t going to hold up after all of these years but thankfully that wasn’t the case.

Super entertaining.

Was not bothered by the transfer whatsoever.
I don't know how this film managed to balance genuine stakes and top tier action with borderline Naked Gun style comedy but they somehow pulled it off!

I was practically *guffawing* at the back and forth between Paxton and Arnold in the corvette. Paxton's comedic timing combined with Arnold's accent "Ha ha, those eediots," holy crap, lol. :lol

Arnold
Cameron
R-rating
Brad Fiedel

I’m glad you loved it Khev. I find it to be a guilty pleasure unfortunately and clearly I’ve been conditioned to find women being called b*****s constantly really unpleasant. And I would be lying if I said the baddies didn’t make me wince. But, and it’s a big but (no pun intended :)) I have such fond memories of going to see this with my dad at the cinema, and yes more than once, there is tremendous nostalgia value there.

And now on to ALIEN and ALIENS. ALIEN looks absolutely spectacular. I assume Ridley was involved because it looks like a day one print. Tbh it probably looks better than that and the colors and sharpness and possibly even brightness are pumped up to the max. And nota single thing in the transfer jumped out at me as bad and took me out of the movie. To go from the Alien Isolation game to this is really something.

And now ALIENS. This really, horribly broke my heart. I’m sure you will be completely happy with it based on your TL experience but I really was not. From the Gateway Station scenes onward all I could see was waxy faces with horrible edge enhancement. And all of that wonderful grain was completely gone. It looked like a different film. And one I couldn’t ever really get into because I was constantly distracted. This has never happened to me before. Maybe the reviews got to me and maybe I’m mental but JC has just really pissed me off. I am going to put in my bluray and compare today because I swear that was basically perfect and it will be now the only way I will watch it. Clearly I’m a demented old fart just shouting at the clouds.

I’m glad you loved it Khev. I find it to be a guilty pleasure unfortunately and clearly I’ve been conditioned to find women being called b*****s constantly really unpleasant. And I would be lying if I said the baddies didn’t make me wince. But, and it’s a big but (no pun intended :)) I have such fond memories of going to see this with my dad at the cinema, and yes more than once, there is tremendous nostalgia value there.
Yeah I could do without some of the language and behaviors as well. Its one thing to call an evil villainess the b-word but I remember sitting in the theater and wincing when Tom Arnold says "come on Harry ditch the b****" when for all we knew at the time Tia Carrere was just a friendly attendee at the party.

And Harry having Helen lay down on the bed and close her eyes so that he can kiss her never made any sense to me, I mean what was he thinking--did he want her to willingly make out with a man that she assumed wasn't him? Bizarre.

Moments like that here and there don't prevent me from enjoying the film but I definitely understand for anyone who feels otherwise.

Of the new Cameron releases, I've only picked up The Abyss so far. I love that movie, especially the longer Director's Cut. Such an underrated film. And only ever released on DVD, so I was glad to be able to update that to HD. There was a very well done HD fan version I downloaded several years ago, but I always prefer to have a legit studio version on Disc over a digital file.

Since none of these are limited/special editions, I'm holding off on picking up True Lies and Aliens on the cheap (and Alien 4k as well to go with Aliens 4k). I have the original Alien anthology BD set (1-4), and while I enjoy True Lies and would enjoy a HD version since it also was only released on DVD, I can wait.

Only so many movies I'm willing to buy over and over again... :slap ...... :lol ....... :cuckoo:

Of the new Cameron releases, I've only picked up The Abyss so far. I love that movie, especially the longer Director's Cut. Such an underrated film. And only ever released on DVD, so I was glad to be able to update that to HD. There was a very well done HD fan version I downloaded several years ago, but I always prefer to have a legit studio version on Disc over a digital file.

Since none of these are limited/special editions, I'm holding off on picking up True Lies and Aliens on the cheap (and Alien 4k as well to go with Aliens 4k). I have the original Alien anthology BD set (1-4), and while I enjoy True Lies and would enjoy a HD version since it also was only released on DVD, I can wait.

Only so many movies I'm willing to buy over and over again... :slap ...... :lol ....... :cuckoo:
I’m looking forward to The Abyss, love it and it’s supposed to be the best of the transfers. I still have my deluxe laserdisc :):)

Back