The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't take a lot of stock in this new Disney rumor. Sure, everything's not going to 4K, but I guarantee some older titles will, especially Cameron's films. Because they have a built-in audience.

I think a lot of older titles may get farmed out to 3rd parties, like Criterion and Arrow.

But as long as formats exist, Star Wars and Marvel will be on them, because Disney knows we will gobble up anything and everything they put out, and still subscribe to Disney+.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't take a lot of stock in this new Disney rumor. Sure, everything's not going to 4K, but I guarantee some older titles will, especially Cameron's films. Because they have a built-in audience.

I think a lot of older titles may get farmed out to 3rd parties, like Criterion and Arrow.

But as long as formats exist, Star Wars and Marvel will be on them, because Disney knows we will gobble up anything and everything they put out, and still subscribe to Disney+.

I dont think disney believes that which is why they are doing this. Take me for example, i bought most of the **** in 4k uhd i wanted to watch on disney plus, so once mando went away i unsubscribed, i will subscribe again when season 2 starts up but i am willing to bet there is alot of people like me that did that. If they crank out more original content then yes but right now covid ****ed things up for filming said content and ****ed up earnings, i think they trying to force people to subscribe to see their catalog of movies to ensure steady revenue streams

Wasn't some of the unexpected news during this Pandemic the huge increase in bluray and 4k disc player sales?

Though I do think Disney is feeling a bit burned by selling all those Disney and Marvel 4K steelbooks for $5 to $10.

Still mad I missed out on Wall E steelbook. Cause i expected it to be heavily discounted too.

Wasn't some of the unexpected news during this Pandemic the huge increase in bluray and 4k disc player sales?

Though I do think Disney is feeling a bit burned by selling all those Disney and Marvel 4K steelbooks for $5 to $10.

Still mad I missed out on Wall E steelbook. Cause i expected it to be heavily discounted too.

I snagged wall e i knew it would never make it to a sale but missed out on bugs life (never went on sale and just went straight to sold out along with a bunch of other steelbooks including walle on the same day) and moana steelbook. I skipped cars 2 cause i hate that movie with a passion. I am debating on up while its still around but i only really like the first 10minutes of that movie the rest is average at best. I own the rest of them that were offered got most for 9.99 which is crazy

Wow didnt see your post do you have a link for that. I read they may even sell fox they only wanted star wars. You think disney cares about predators or aliens nope
I remember seeing the story. But now there is such a glut of stories about this I'm finding it difficult to weed through them all.

I have to believe that they will want to keep Cameron happy, and Cameron is all about the high end technology. But I guess time will tell.

For anyone that preordered 300 steelbook from best buy yesterday, cancel your order and reorder it now. Price was lowered to 29.99. Bastards lol

They must have realized they were selling it for more than zaavi did

Thank you

I just simply chatted with them and they dropped the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mouse heard the noise!!!

Now then... Disney. Something interesting happened this morning: I got an official statement response to my post via ?a Disney spokesperson.? It reads as follows...

?There are no plans to discontinue releases in a particular format. We evaluate each release on a case by case basis and pursue the best strategy to bring our content into consumer homes across platforms that meet a variety of demands.?

All right, let me put that into context for you. First there?s this: I am 100% confident in the accuracy of my reporting on Friday (see here). My sources are good on this and trust me when I say that I took the time last week to make damn sure of it. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind of that fact.

But this isn?t rocket science: Every single one of you out there knows that catalog film releases on physical 4K especially have been an afterthought for this studio. The only ones we?ve gotten are exactly what we reported: Marvel, Star Wars, or Disney/Pixar animated fare. Yes, Home Alone and Hocus Pocus are coming to physical 4K, but there are many more (and more obvious) live action catalog titles the studio could release on physical 4K from the Fox, Buena Vista, and Touchstone live action libraries... and they haven?t done so.

What I think happened is that the studio was focused almost entirely on their Disney+ launch, then the pandemic hit and suddenly theatrical, theme parks, and consumer products all tanked, and Disney has since then been focused almost entirely on stemming the bleeding. But the studio?s decision-makers didn?t just take their eyes off physical home entertainment media, their eyes were barely on it in the first place. Then my report broke, and got pretty widespread coverage, and someone at Disney said, ?Oh, ****... we?d better issue a statement.?

You know what? Good. Because ignoring physical 4K and physical Blu-ray for their massive catalog library is a huge mistake. And maybe, just maybe, someone there at the studio is finally starting to realize it.

However, it?s going to take a lot more than a statement to convince me, other disc fans, and anyone else that Disney still takes physical media on Blu-ray and 4K seriously. The proof is in the pudding: When and if Disney starts releasing much-wanted Fox, Buena Vista, and Touchstone films on physical 4K and Blu-ray?not just digitally and not just on Disney+?then and only then will I believe it.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/081120-1500

The mouse heard the noise!!!

Now then... Disney. Something interesting happened this morning: I got an official statement response to my post via ?a Disney spokesperson.? It reads as follows...

?There are no plans to discontinue releases in a particular format. We evaluate each release on a case by case basis and pursue the best strategy to bring our content into consumer homes across platforms that meet a variety of demands.?

All right, let me put that into context for you. First there?s this: I am 100% confident in the accuracy of my reporting on Friday (see here). My sources are good on this and trust me when I say that I took the time last week to make damn sure of it. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind of that fact.

But this isn?t rocket science: Every single one of you out there knows that catalog film releases on physical 4K especially have been an afterthought for this studio. The only ones we?ve gotten are exactly what we reported: Marvel, Star Wars, or Disney/Pixar animated fare. Yes, Home Alone and Hocus Pocus are coming to physical 4K, but there are many more (and more obvious) live action catalog titles the studio could release on physical 4K from the Fox, Buena Vista, and Touchstone live action libraries... and they haven?t done so.

What I think happened is that the studio was focused almost entirely on their Disney+ launch, then the pandemic hit and suddenly theatrical, theme parks, and consumer products all tanked, and Disney has since then been focused almost entirely on stemming the bleeding. But the studio?s decision-makers didn?t just take their eyes off physical home entertainment media, their eyes were barely on it in the first place. Then my report broke, and got pretty widespread coverage, and someone at Disney said, ?Oh, ****... we?d better issue a statement.?

You know what? Good. Because ignoring physical 4K and physical Blu-ray for their massive catalog library is a huge mistake. And maybe, just maybe, someone there at the studio is finally starting to realize it.

However, it?s going to take a lot more than a statement to convince me, other disc fans, and anyone else that Disney still takes physical media on Blu-ray and 4K seriously. The proof is in the pudding: When and if Disney starts releasing much-wanted Fox, Buena Vista, and Touchstone films on physical 4K and Blu-ray?not just digitally and not just on Disney+?then and only then will I believe it.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/081120-1500
It's all just speculation.

And for my own speculating...

As for Cameron... i think the reason True Lies has been ignored for disc release, is due to accusations of racism. I think the world is very different now then when TL was released and maybe Cameron doesn't want to bring anymore negative attention to himself.

Though, from what Cameron himself has said, the reason The Abyss and True Lies hasn't been released yet has everything to do with not having available time due to Avatar sequels taking priority. I guess he had time for T2 and Titanic because he did a 3D release of them, but we'll have to wait for anything non-Avatar and non-3D.

Currently have a small Blu-Ray collection of my favorite films and with all the uncertainty of physical media moving forward, I'm not sure I want to begin upgrading my favorites to 4K. The reviews of some of my favorites like Batman, Batman Returns and Terminator 2 haven't been great due to different color hues, transfers and what not - so why bother? Change my mind.

Currently have a small Blu-Ray collection of my favorite films and with all the uncertainty of physical media moving forward, I'm not sure I want to begin upgrading my favorites to 4K. The reviews of some of my favorites like Batman, Batman Returns and Terminator 2 haven't been great due to different color hues, transfers and what not - so why bother? Change my mind.

This is unfortunately true some 4K upgrades of out favorite movies have not been treated appropriately what with their egregious audio and color timing replacements.

Before buying one really needs to read the specs beforehand.

There... I fixed the no release for True Lies problem.

Just ordered a bootleg version on ebay... That means an official release will be coming soon... Always happens to me. If I break down and buy a version I would rather not buy (digital or bootleg) the official / physical media version will be announced soon after.

This is unfortunately true some 4K upgrades of out favorite movies have not been treated appropriately what with their egregious audio and color timing replacements.

Before buying one really needs to read the specs beforehand.

I have stayed far away from the T2 4k release.. However i thought Batman and Batman Returns looked and sounded fine. Having said that.. I am not a huge fan of those two films so I am not a purist when it comes to those.. I thought the updated sound effects helped Batman a lot. It was hard to watch that film with its outdated canned Gun shot blasts. The film does have a green tint to it but I think overall the film looks great.

I can see how die hard fans of the film would hate it though.

There... I fixed the no release for True Lies problem.

Just ordered a bootleg version on ebay... That means an official release will be coming soon... Always happens to me. If I break down and buy a version I would rather not buy (digital or bootleg) the official / physical media version will be announced soon after.

Which did you buy, Japan, South Korea, Australia of Brasil.

I have stayed far away from the T2 4k release.. However i thought Batman and Batman Returns looked and sounded fine. Having said that.. I am not a huge fan of those two films so I am not a purist when it comes to those.. I thought the updated sound effects helped Batman a lot. It was hard to watch that film with its outdated canned Gun shot blasts. The film does have a green tint to it but I think overall the film looks great.

I can see how die hard fans of the film would hate it though.

Hnnng

Back