The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

Thanks, guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for a deal on a PS3, any chance a new format is going to emerge out of this to challenge Blue Ray?

I believe there are different companies working on the next formats, I know they've been working on the Ultra High Definition discs, like 1TB of data with a resolution equal to the movie theater (4x what Blu-Ray is) Then there's someone else working on a format that would give Imax quality picture, but that would take a good deal of development for a disc that could do that.

There is a great article in USA Today about this. It seems some of the Blu-ray fanboys might want to temper the gloating just a tad:

Blu-ray triumphs in high-def DVD war

By David Lieberman, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — The future of high-def DVDs became a lot clearer Tuesday after Toshiba said that by March it will stop making players for its HD DVD format, leaving Sony's (SNE) Blu-ray as the champion of the three-year format war.

But while that eliminates a big source of confusion for some consumers, others will still struggle to see how the change benefits them. "Consumers are the losers in the short term," ABI Research said in a report. Reasons include:

•Price cuts for Blu-ray players may become less frequent and steep without competition from HD DVD. The cheapest Blu-ray player costs more than $300.

•Different kinds of Blu-ray players will confuse some. For example, only upcoming models have the Internet ports needed for interactive bonus features on some new discs.

•Limited capacity to produce Blu-ray discs could frustrate consumers who expect to see a flood of titles from all studios.

"We definitely need to see more manufacturing capacity out there if we're really going to make a go of this," says Lionsgate (LGF) President Steve Beeks.

Universal and Paramount, which supported HD DVD, may have the hardest time. Their disc orders likely would come behind those of Blu-ray supporters Disney (DIS), Fox, Lionsgate, Sony and Warner Bros. (TWX).

Warner's decision last month to stop offering HD DVD led Best Buy (BBY), Netflix (NFLX) and Wal-Mart (WMT) to follow suit, effectively making it unviable.

"It wasn't consumers who chose Blu-ray over HD DVD. It was the industry," says Toshiba's Jodi Sally.

Even without these problems, retailers might find it hard to persuade consumers to buy Blu-ray.

Toshiba said it might try to offer high-def videos without discs, for example on flash memory and wireless technologies.

Meanwhile, "A lot of consumers are still satisfied with their current DVD player and plan to continue using it until it breaks," says Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis for The NPD Group.

That's one reason Blu-ray backers and retailers are weighing deals to help HD DVD buyers switch.

"You don't want consumers to feel like they were burned by making the wrong choice," Beeks says. "I'd expect to see some programs announced."

It may take a lot to ease consumers' hurt feelings. Surveys of electronics buyers by The Envisioneering Group found that "only one consumer in 10 didn't feel betrayed" by the format war, says research firm director Richard Doherty. "This may leave a sour taste with consumers for some time to come with other devices."

There is a great article in USA Today about this. It seems some of the Blu-ray fanboys might want to temper the gloating just a tad:
*Very long and annoyed SIGH* :rolleyes:

Do you wanna sell me your HD-DVD collection? So I can use the disks as coasters!!

It's not really much of a "collection" (I only have about 15 or so titles in HD DVD and about the same in Blu-ray) but I think I can hang on to them for a while.

I'm much more worried about my 2,000+ DVDs becoming "coasters" someday. But as long as BD and other future disc-based formats retain backwards-compatibility I'll be covered. :lol

You guys ARE very fanboyish about all of this stuff, though. You'd think your mothers' lives depended on Blu-ray winning or something. :huh

*Very long and annoyed SIGH* :rolleyes:

Do you wanna sell me your HD-DVD collection? So I can use the disks as coasters!!

Yeah, but those stand alone Blu Ray players might make good serving trays if the product doesn't reach viable consumers...

Blu Ray has an uphill battle right now. Getting through HD DVD was one thing, supplanting standard DVD as the next medium is something completely different and challenging. I'd imagine the general public doesn't want to spend $300+ on a Blu Ray players.

You guys ARE very fanboyish about all of this stuff, though. You'd think your mothers' lives depended on Blu-ray winning or something. :huh

Actually, there is a Sony representative with a gun to my mothers head right now, waiting for this war to end. :monkey1

That's the one thing I still don't understand. It's a "HAHA, IN YOUR FACE" attitude. I don't understand the over the top victory lap from people who don't own the rights to Blu-Ray.

No, my PS3 will be just fine playing games if *pfft* Blu-Ray doesn't pan out. :lol

I said stand alone Blu ray players...I never mentioned anything about PS3 (which I have myself)...

That's the one thing I still don't understand. It's a "HAHA, IN YOUR FACE" attitude. I don't understand the over the top victory lap from people who don't own the rights to Blu-Ray.

I don't understand it either Kit...

For all those who "Don't understand", we're just having a bit of fun for ****'s sake, at the expense of those HD-DVD 'Fanboys', who were so sure that it would win out. I could've cared less, it didn't mean any more or less money in my pocket.

For all those who "Don't understand", we're just having a bit of fun for ****'s sake, at the expense of those HD-DVD 'Fanboys', who were so sure that it would win out. I could've cared less, it didn't mean any more or less money in my pocket.

On the Freaks boards I've never really noticed any HD DVD Fanboys, though. Have you guys come across them elsewhere?

You wanna see fanboyism? Go to the High Def Digest forums. It's carazy over there!
No thanks. The acolytes on those types of sites just make me want BOTH formats to fail. :monkey4

Who would be a fanboy of either format? call it a geek?

i dont give a rats ass who wins as long as there is only one..

You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking Irish.

Well, I admittedly did not frequent the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray threads as much as you guys. But I certainly never noticed two real factions on here. It seems most of you guys were clearly 100% Blu-ray all the way.

Back