The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

https://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/hellboy-ii.html

Title: Hellboy II
Starring: Ron Perlman
SRP: $34.98 (3-Disc)

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced 1-disc ($29.98), 3-disc ($34.98) and Blu-ray ($39.98) editions of Hellboy II: The Golden Army which stars Ron Perlman. The full details have yet to be confirmed I'm afraid (including the street date) but we can tell you that the 3-disc edition will include a digital copy of the film and around 3 hours of bonus content. The 2-disc Blu-ray edition will also include the digital copy, along with a feature that enables you to build your own comic book. Stay tuned for further details as we get them.

Check out the page for pics. Is that perhaps a statue made by Sideshow? They did that bust for the last movie release, didn't they?

Criterion going BD is awesome news. The Third Man in 1080p!

Criterion has an upgrade program they're introducing. It's an interesting idea if you don't care about having new artwork or a Blu-ray case for each title. I wonder if it's still $25 for multiple disc sets.

The Criterion Collection has revealed that they will offer an upgrade program for those Criterion DVD owners looking to upgrade their current collection to Blu-ray. Simply send in the DVD disc you want upgraded along with a check for $25 ($20 upgrade fee plus $5 shipping) and they'll send you the Blu-ray version of the title (disc only).

The company has pledged to use the current DVD numbering and packaging for Blu-ray releases with the only physical difference being the use of the blue Blu-ray case. That way owners can simply pop the Blu-ray into their existing DVD case and maintain the overall "look" of their collection.

It was also revealed that pricing of Blu-ray titles will be similar to that of the DVDs. Criterion has been mastering their titles in high definition for some time, so there is little additional cost (to them) to put the title out on Blu-ray. This, they say, will help people decide on which version to pick up when they begin releasing new titles day-and-date on both formats.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1697

Good deal.

Also, for everyone that's always asking what Blu-Ray player should I get, well Criterion's reference player is the PS3. If Criterion considers them to be the best, then just get a PS3.

If they are not spending $1K on the Blu-Ray player, then neither should you!

Got the Sarah Connor Chronicles on Blu-ray last night. Used my Best Buy Rewards and the whole thing turned out to be $19.99. Not too shabby!:banana

Great show too, I watched the first few episodes when it aired but never got the chance to see the final ones.

Well, for everyone asking if there was a better Blu-Ray player than the PS3, we have told you there is none better. Even the movie company Criterion was using the PS3 as their reference player!

Well, that was true until just a few days ago. Pioneer has brought out the monster to crush the PS3 and you can get one soon. That is if you want to shell out an additional $1700 to watch your Blu-Rays in the best way possible. This thing is ^^^^ing ridiculous!

Pioneer_BDP-09FD_ANGLE_600.jpg

Pioneer_BDP-09FD_REAR-600.jpg

Pioneer Sneaks Out $2200 Elite BDP-09FD; First Blu-ray Player That Crushes the PS3

The only thing I want is the dual-HDMI out! That would be awesome, as my reciever doesn't have the best video processor. I would love to hook one HDMI Cable straight to the Panny Plasma and the other one just to the reciever! 1080P/24 & 7.1 DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD!!!!

Last edited:

pass....too much money. i'd rather spend the money on a new 65" tv. the PS3 looks great as a blu ray player and i don't see it as much of an improvement to warrant that much cash.

pass....too much money. i'd rather spend the money on a new 65" tv. the PS3 looks great as a blu ray player and i don't see it as much of an improvement to warrant that much cash.

It's got an image processor out of a $185,000 projector!! It does 4 times the resolution of 1080P!!!! A 1080P processor is 2MP, the one in this receiver is 10MP! They had a 25 foot screen up and the guy couldn't see pixels at any distance. That's why is costs what it costs. And it does full DTS and Dolby out per channel, which means it will probably sound better than anything you've heard before.

And oh yeah, it weighs 50 lbs, so it can literally crush a PS3! :lol

Of course, it should have the label: "only ballers need apply", but hopefully in the light of stuff like, we will see a drop in other players prices and new models coming out around Black Friday for the first real push of Blu-Ray since it won the HD war. Hopefully we will be seeing nice players with the quality of the PS3 from around $200-$300.

It's got an image processor out of a $185,000 projector!! It does 4 times the resolution of 1080P!!!! A 1080P processor is 2MP, the one in this receiver is 10MP! They had a 25 foot screen up and the guy couldn't see pixels at any distance. That's why is costs what it costs. And it does full DTS and Dolby out per channel, which means it will probably sound better than anything you've heard before.

And oh yeah, it weighs 50 lbs, so it can literally crush a PS3! :lol

Of course, it should have the label: "only ballers need apply", but hopefully in the light of stuff like, we will see a drop in other players prices and new models coming out around Black Friday for the first real push of Blu-Ray since it won the HD war. Hopefully we will be seeing nice players with the quality of the PS3 from around $200-$300.
Wow, wish I had the cash for that, sounds amazing!

seriously sounds amazing. so on a regular 1080p tv though, does it make a difference that this dvd player is 4 times the resolution?

and what does it mean that it does full DTS and dolby per channel? what do the other dvd players do that are different?

seriously sounds amazing. so on a regular 1080p tv though, does it make a difference that this dvd player is 4 times the resolution?

and what does it mean that it does full DTS and dolby per channel? what do the other dvd players do that are different?

Won't make much difference on a TV, it will make some and I'm sure the moives will run smoother, but if you ran it through a nice projector, this thing would kill!

It's more for high-end audio, when you don't have a receiver and have a pre-amp & amp(s) set-up instead. That's why it has separate audio outputs. That way you have a separate channel for each speaker and then run them to the amps. Just check out AVSForum.com and the guys wth the really nice set-ups don't have receivers. Receivers kill video and sound a lot of times, even when run through HDMI.

For example, I don't run my PS3 to my receiver with HDMI, only the Optical Out, as I don't like the way it processes my video for BR movies and the sound quality better through the Optical.

Back