The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Avengers: Discussion Thread

Doesn't Whedon get announced as a director on some high profile pic every other week before then being unattached to the project?

I don't know, but if it follows the Whedon career M.O. they will cancel THE AVENGERS 2/3 of the way through production. :lol

I don't think those shows are crap (well, maybe Dollhouse). In fact, I quite enjoy watching Buffy, Firefly, etc. They are just insanely over-valued. And I do agree that Joss Whedon is one of the most overrated things around in general.

Ironically I teach a film class where the current project is whether or not Joss Whedon is overrated, they are viewing Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV Pilot) which is what I would argue is most revered for and then Dollhouse, Firefly (both pilots) and then deciding if he is worth the hype from these bits and pieces. :)

Writing a comic and directing an action movie are two different skill sets.

Bingo. I have no doubts in him writing something great but in directing I'm not so sure....especially if he has a bit of casting to the Avengers not yet seen....we might as well look to the Whedonverse to see who'll play Wasp and Hawkeye, Amy Acker or Eliza Dushku and Nathan Fillion anyone?

Who else would you like to see direct Avengers if not Whedon?

What Barbelith said:

Realistically, they should have given it to Favreau or Leterrier.

Say what you want about The Incredible Hulk it was a good comic movie and I would been overjoyed if Leterrier got it.

They should've given Iron Man to Bryan Singer rather than Jon Favreau.

God I hope this is a joke. If Singer had directed Iron Man it was have been unfunny and Tony would have been fighting homosexual tendancies masked under feelings of ridicule or ostracization. X-Men and X-Men was good because at the time its the best we've had, they just don't hold up now in fact I would argue they are very "meh" compared to films like Iron Man, the Nolan Batman franchise and what we'll be seeing in the future. Singer to comic book films is overrated beyond belief.

He is. Which I suppose technically makes him Whedon's boss on the film.

Something tells me that Favreau won't be as involved as we'd like him to be, maybe if the director were new or fresh but someone like Whedon I think Favreau will be very hands off.

Its an amazing gamble that could pay off and people would be singing the praises of Whedon for years but if he ____s up it'll set the comic book films back ten steps. Getting a huge ensemble cast was always viewed as undoable and if the Avengers fails you can kiss films like a Justice League or things on that level goodbye. The X-Men films have always been The Wolverine Show with other mutants thrown in but with Avengers you'll have 90% of the team already established in films of their own and that is dangerous to play with right from the go.

But Zathura was a failure too and was the film that Favreau made right before Iron Man.

The key thing there is that Zathura showed Favreau could get the job done, and Elf had been a hit. Marvel had no clout at the time; they probably couldn't actually have gotten anyone better back then. Which is why the industry collectively gasped when Robert Downey Jr signed up...

Whedon rewrite, great.

Downey and Norton should walk. This is like watching train wreck happen.

Yep. But it's this kinda train:

19thomas-600.jpg

The key thing there is that Zathura showed Favreau could get the job done, and Elf had been a hit. Marvel had no clout at the time; they probably couldn't actually have gotten anyone better back then. Which is why the industry collectively gasped when Robert Downey Jr signed up...

And Whedon has directed exactly one film, and that was SERENITY.

Once MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN is released soon, Edward Norton himself would have directed more movies than Lord Whedon.

whedon to direct Avengers

Ironically I teach a film class where the current project is whether or not Joss Whedon is overrated, they are viewing Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV Pilot) which is what I would argue is most revered for and then Dollhouse, Firefly (both pilots) and then deciding if he is worth the hype from these bits and pieces. :)

That's not really fair - you should air Once More with Feeling, Hush, and The Body from Buffy as directing samples. The Buffy pilot was a mishmash, put together from multiple shoots and I don't think he even directed it.

And Whedon has directed exactly one film, and that was SERENITY.

Once MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN is released soon, Edward Norton himself would have directed more movies than Lord Whedon.

TV is a much better learning space for a director where they can figure out the fundamentals. At this point Whedon has directed more hours of filmed entertainment than most A-list directors. So saying he's inexperienced isn't really true.

I can add those three without much of an issue. I'm more interested to see what they think. I've kept it very neutral not showing my opinions either way but I definitely want to start with the Buffy pilot since it shows off his creation but according to what I could find online he DID directed it alongside Charles Martin Smith.

Re: whedon to direct Avengers

TV is a much better learning space for a director where they can figure out the fundamentals. At this point Whedon has directed more hours of filmed entertainment than most A-list directors. So saying he's inexperienced isn't really true.
I have to respectfully disagree here as well. This is like saying a baseball pitcher who has been throwing in the minor leagues for 10 years is just as ready to pitch in the World Series as those with 3-4 years of major league experience. While the quality of TV entertainment has soared to unseen heights in the past decade, it's still a much much different animal than film in many ways. And Whedon is inexperienced there. That can't even be debated.

That's not really fair - you should air Once More with Feeling, Hush, and The Body from Buffy as directing samples.

Of those, I'd say only The Body shows any promise from a direction standpoint. The other two are carried by the gimmick.

TV is a much better learning space for a director where they can figure out the fundamentals.

Actually, it's a terrible learning space for fundamentals, because so much is carried by the "house style" imposed by the various tech teams. There's a reason so many new directors come from music video and so few from TV. What makes it worse is Whedon was ostensibly directing genre action shows ... yet somehow failed to learn how to direct genre action, something that really became apparent in Serenity. That doesn't bode well for The Avengers.

Actually, it's a terrible learning space for fundamentals, because so much is carried by the "house style" imposed by the various tech teams. There's a reason so many new directors come from music video and so few from TV. What makes it worse is Whedon was ostensibly directing genre action shows ... yet somehow failed to learn how to direct genre action, something that really became apparent in Serenity. That doesn't bode well for The Avengers.

Hey, someone might actually teach him how to use multiple camera angles... and move at least one of them every once in a while. :lol

I don't know, but if it follows the Whedon career M.O. they will cancel THE AVENGERS 2/3 of the way through production. :lol

Well with the way Cap is shaping up they may well be the case. :monkey2

The plan was alway to have Hulk in it especially since he is CGI'd. Lou Ferrigno had said his contract included voice work for The Avengers at the time that The Incredible Hulk had come out. The real key is whether or not Norton ends up in it, that'll be news if he does.

The plan was alway to have Hulk in it especially since he is CGI'd. Lou Ferrigno had said his contract included voice work for The Avengers at the time that The Incredible Hulk had come out. The real key is whether or not Norton ends up in it, that'll be news if he does.

that mean he'll be full go hulk the whole movie? :monkey3

Back