The Anatomy of a Pose - A Central Hub for Tips and Tricks to Better Your Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bats...

DSC_0336.JPG

What I try and do is use actual screen shots/grabs from films, promo pictures, etc, to use as a reference. I see a lot of great dynamic poses, but sometimes they look too stylized to where they come off looking a bit unnatural. To me, using screen shots or recognizable promo photos guarantees that it’s a natural pose, because it’s a pose that the character actually was in.

I also try and take into account the expression on the sculpt to where it fits the pose. Obviously, a stoic expression won’t match a dynamic pose very well.

910F7ACF-8485-457B-ACE9-A59EF86B2B93.jpg

2B6E841A-23BB-4483-B991-3A752F9A79EB.jpg

“It’s a girl.”
“It’s Gozer.”
“I thought Gozer was a man?”
“Well whatever it is it’s gotta get by us.”

Yes, that and the book of Cagliostro is what swayed me towards getting the original version.

Love seeing all the pictures and write-ups in this thread! :clap

My philosophy with posing is to (generally) recreate a pose or moment from a scene. To make sure it's natural, I'll often put myself in that pose so I get a sense of where the weight balance is, how different limbs are posed, what the motion was leading into the pose, etc. The fun ones are trying to pose two figures interacting together since then I feel like something of a choreographer.

Someone else commented about poses that look good in person but neutral on camera, and that's definitely been the case with many of my poses (which isn't helped by having a cell phone camera). And I avoid stands whenever possible- they ruin the illusion that these are tiny people posing about in my cabinet.

I'll try to share some newer pictures next week, but here are a couple oldies. Please excuse the background mess- some were taken before I had any dedicated display space (figures were sitting on desks or dressers).

My favorite pose so far- Cap fighting Bucky/Winter Soldier. I tried to capture something reminiscent of the highway fight scene in TWS. Here, Cap is on the defensive while Bucky is lunging at him with knives in both hands. I really like putting them in this pose; my only gripe was that I didn't like seeing Cap posed on the defensive (even if it is movie accurate).
cap bucky 1.jpg

cap bucky 2.jpg

Another pose from TWS- Cap in a battle-ready stance from the elevator scene just before he spins and cuts the cables.
IMG_20190202_122901.jpg

The Mark III Iron Man suit in a "Reindeer Games" pose from Avengers:
IMG_20160428_235237.jpg

A pose inspired by the steel mill scene in Terminator 2, where the T-800 is walking around in scanning mode. I mixed it up with the more BD head sculpt (love the red eye) while the liquid metal T-1000 is about to swing at the T-800 with a steel rod. Not movie accurate, but I like the general composition.
terminator 2.jpg

Professor X (McAvoy) doing his telepathy thing, and Magneto (Fassbender) holding his helmet like the Pentagon scene in DoFP. The poses aren't great (and the outfits don't match any single movie), but I like how the two have mirrored, outstretched hands using their powers.
xavier magneto.jpg

And here's a fun one- Deadpool's showing he wants to kill Spidey ("finger on throat means death"), and Spidey's trying to shut him up with one webshooter while testing out how high his other one can shoot. I really loved this setup (Spidey and Deadpool play off of each other so well), but I ended up selling both figures.
spidey deadpool.jpg

Back