The All Things THE DEAD Thread (read)- BRAINSSSSS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lecture:lecture:lecture

With this genre especially, there's a HUGE difference between trend followers and "hardcore" zombie fans. It's the exact opposite of what you'd think. I'd say it's more the casual zombie fan or trend follower who's going to run around snatching up everything zombie related. The more hardcore fan will be choosier in what they pick up, searching for more substance than just a decomping figure. That's not to say there won't be crossovers, but I think that majorly pinpoints the cult audience Sideshow's looking to tap.

I started off as a trend follower..i saw PZ and dismissed the idea..Then i saw the promo pieces and started to get interested. I really got taken in by the amount of dedication SS showed the line through the use of well thought out character choices (not the variants lol) and story. This morphed me into a semi-hardcore zombie fan. Now i need more than just a dead guy in a type of outfit. I need a reason why he is in the outfit. And i need it to be as realistic as a zombie can get lol.

Most people when they see mine say thats cool. Ask a little I explain the background and they move on. Zombies are cool. I've seen several movies over the years so I'm fan. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a hardcore fan but I like the genre. So maybe thats why I don't need some huge story behind them.

If Sideshow goes with some historical ones I'm down for that if they pick up a bit where they left off I'm cool with that too. These look cool to me and thats why I like them.

everyone is different with their collecting. I dont begrudge you one bit. I am hooked on the concept of a "zombie". I want to know the how,why,who type details. Without that it loses its luster imo

Don't get me wrong a backstory is fun to learn about. Can't help it I'm a geek who likes to learn things but at the same time I get a kick out of cool looking zombies. So if either way makes this line worth collecting lets hope Sideshow gets back to it ASAP and kicks some ass.

Don't get me wrong a backstory is fun to learn about. Can't help it I'm a geek who likes to learn things but at the same time I get a kick out of cool looking zombies. So if either way makes this line worth collecting lets hope Sideshow gets back to it ASAP and kicks some ass.

agreed..

as long as its my way lol

Doing lameassed historic zombies under The Dead brand would be jumping the shark. It's not just "a zombie line" with "no ties to anything in particular." You failed to mention that they've already established their own continuity with the story and the line and bailing out on that would be a HUGE fail.

:lecture

Lame is the word... have no interest in a historical zombie's when there is nothing amiss or broken about what SS were originally doing.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel this line seems to be fraying at the edges? The 1/6 product gone, a great PZ PF followed up by the luke-warm carcass PF (with an ES that is three times what it should be), luke-warm zombie LSB's and now historical zombie PF's??? Just who in running this line and what is their rationale behind these decisions? It just seems all so unfocused :(

I guess one thing with historical zombies I don't find lame is that I love history. Its something I love learning about so thats why I guess for me I don't think historical zombies that can be done by Sideshow lame.

I think the historical zombies have great potential. I just wish the focus was on 12" figures instead of PFs. There are only so many PF zombies one can buy and display.

That said, I think the upcoming Dead Knight will look great next to the Vlad the Impaler PF. Vlad's from that same 'era' and with the Vamprie head, you can just have some fun with history. Why not have a vampire with an undead army? Works for me!

And they could even do their own Mummy under the dead brand. A Mummy really is just an ancient zombie afterall. Even Frankenstein could techincally be called a zombie I guess. But I think the Undying Carcass was the first figure to really show off what Sideshow can do with the line. The PZ PF was a given, but things like the UC are things that can't be done in 1:6 (at least at this point) and those are what should be used in the PF line. Utilize the statue advantages. Have big gapping holes in somachs, have them skeletal, etc. Making more figures like PZ is exactly what they shouldn't be doing with the PF line. Save those 'easy' zombies for future 12" figures.

I guess one thing with historical zombies I don't find lame is that I love history. Its something I love learning about so thats why I guess for me I don't think historical zombies that can be done by Sideshow lame.

i love history too. Thats usually all i read besides comics lol. But i just want the Dead 1/6 line to continue on the path that SS laid.

They very well might. As I've said I think adding a bit of history would only improve the road but different strokes for different folks.

Looks like SS has run out of ideas again (one reason the last Zombie was right out of "Return of the living Dead") and now are going to start pulling ideas from Max Brook's "The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks".

a great PZ PF followed up by the luke-warm carcass PF (with an ES that is three times what it should be),

I just got into the line, but I like the carcass. I think the 1/6 line looks awesome next to my RE2 Leon in RPD outfit. :clap

For me, I have absolutely no interest in 1/6 figures. I do feel bad for those of you who do, though. That said, I am very grateful that the 1/6 line paved the way for Dead statues.

I may be the exception and not the rule but I will probably buy and display any and all zombie PF's that SS puts out. I just hope all the bail outs on the UC didn't ruin the future of the Dead PF line. That would be a shame.

And I actually prefer the UC over PZ. I very much appreciate extreme over mild gore. I mean, if you're gonna do a zombie you may as well go all out. I get that the PZ was more of a PG-13 zombie to try and get as many people interested as possible but I love the decomposition in UC. This just seems much more zombie-like IMHO.

I know it's wishful thinking, but I would give just about anything for a WWII Nazi zombie PF.

.... to abandon the backstory seems like an error.... ....please dont abandon the concept of the dead. it was unique and created well.

I agree. Remember the DNAgent, the cool little animated vids with The Butcher, multi-episode Wolf/Street Prophet/Harbinger story, etc - the whole End Is Near thing? It seemed to be building up to something specific, then POOF! Guess the End Was Near indeed.

If the plan is to explore zombie attacks throughout history, I hope they give it a sub-genre with different packaging to signify the difference (and simultaneously continue with modern zombies under the regular plain ol' The Dead name/packaging) - something along the lines of:

Centuries Of The DEAD: 1316 AD - Templar Knight
or
Centuries Of The DEAD: 1873 AD - Old West Outlaw

etc.

Come to think of it, an Old West Outlaw or Union/Confederate Soldier zombie could actually turn out pretty cool.

I agree. Remember the DNAgent, the cool little animated vids with The Butcher, multi-episode Wolf/Street Prophet/Harbinger story, etc - the whole End Is Near thing? It seemed to be building up to something specific, then POOF! Guess the End Was Near indeed.

I never did collect the 1/6 figs, but I followed the storyline; it was one of SS's better promotions.

If the plan is to explore zombie attacks throughout history, I hope they give it a sub-genre with different packaging to signify the difference (and simultaneously continue with modern zombies under the regular plain ol' The Dead name/packaging) - something along the lines of:

Centuries Of The DEAD: 1316 AD - Templar Knight
or
Centuries Of The DEAD: 1873 AD - Old West Outlaw

etc.

Come to think of it, an Old West Outlaw or Union/Confederate Soldier zombie could actually turn out pretty cool.

I like the idea of different packaging. I would definitely pick me up some old west zombies. Templar Knight would be cool to grab if you could use it for a custom Grail Knight.

Back