The Alien Franchise Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have gone! Yes it was intense with the dad drowning at the beginning but it was so cool to see him win the horse race at the end. Oh wait you were talking about ALIEN weren't you, lol.
This was buff lol

IMG_9136.jpeg

Was anyone there opening day? My mom took me to see The Black Stallion instead, lol.

View attachment 698801
Yes. My Mother took my Sister and I to the Paramount Theater in downtown Denver, Colorado and the line was almost around the whole block. Back then it was an extremely long and narrow movie screen. Huge. I was a senior in high school. I stayed up all night drawing pictures of what I thought I’d seen during the movie. It was an overwhelming experience.

Just watched Aliens in 4k. There’s been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth by videophiles over the transfer, and I hate to be a philistine, but I thought it looked spectacular.
I saw the movie back in 1986 at the Swansea Odeon , and it was a really grainy picture.
The new transfer looks like it was shot yesterday and it’s like seeing the film for the first time again.
The movie is just one of the best ever, the direction, SFX, music, acting it’s one of those lightening in a bottle moments in move history and for my money hands down Cameron’s best movie.

Although I hate the idea of the Alien queen and the Alien being reduced to a warrior ant, it’s still one of my favourite movies of all time and this disc is well worth picking up.
Unlike Fox’s barebones release of Alien this also includes all the excellent bonus material from the box set too.

Unlike Fox’s barebones release of Alien this also includes all the excellent bonus material from the box set too.
Thats good to know. The Alien set does have the commentaries, isolated score and deleted scenes but yes it is missing those amazing documentaries. But all good I’ve got the bluray box set :)

I watched Alien last night and watching Aliens tonight. Hugely impressed by the Alien transfer. It looks incredibly clean, there is still grain but maybe not enough, but unlike the awful True Lies transfer, Alien still looks like a film. The colors are maybe bumped up a bit but whoever did this, presumably Ridley was involved, clearly was very careful and took their time to get it right. Definitely no AI involved here.

Doesn't look bad. I prefer sharpening without denoising, but it's impressive how much detail they were able to retain doing both. Will watch the physical 4K on my TV, that'll be the ultimate test.

Thats good to know. The Alien set does have the commentaries, isolated score and deleted scenes but yes it is missing those amazing documentaries. But all good I’ve got the bluray box set

I watched Alien last night and watching Aliens tonight. Hugely impressed by the Alien transfer. It looks incredibly clean, there is still grain but maybe not enough, but unlike the awful True Lies transfer, Alien still looks like a film. The colors are maybe bumped up a bit but whoever did this, presumably Ridley was involved, clearly was very careful and took their time to get it right. Definitely no AI involved here.
The first film was less grainy to begin with, wasn't it?

Last edited:
The first film was less grainy to begin with, wasn't it?
Oh yes, but Aliens is/was a staggeringly grainy film due to the way they shot it and i think JC regrets that and has been trying to scrub it every since. Ridley always shoots very carefully with light and avoids heavy grain.

The only other issue with the Alien disc is that Fox didn’t bother transferring the extra scenes for the “director’s” cut.
They upscaled them and the added starfield and other effects are missing.
Maybe we’ll get a new transfer for the 50th anniversary?
Jeez I’m getting old!

Although I hate the idea of the Alien queen and the Alien being reduced to a warrior ant, it’s still one of my favourite movies of all time

I'm the same. It's why I much prefer Alien over Aliens and like you, I recognise Aliens as a great film, I curse Cameron for turning the Lovecraftian Starbeast into a space termite.

Back