The 3A Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh. I disagree. The larger bots remain pretty large even when scaled down, and the humans don't hold up badly. I have the 1/12 AP slicer set, and a 1/6 Kyuuketsuki to compare them to, and the Slicer translates well to 1/12 scale. The bodies pose fine, they look good displayed together and the clothes don't look too odd.

Honestly, it makes more sense for ThreeA than most toy brands because of their 'art toy' ties--there is a pretty big overlap between the ThreeA and designer toy communities. Repaints and different scales are totally par for the course in vinyl. I think it's too much and wish there was less of it in the vinyl world, but that's the state of the scene.

It all seems too familiar or desperate to be shocking. As in scale, super large or subject matter - puerile. Sorry. Just tires me out. If something great comes along I'm there, but as of late. Ghost...

And really to each his own. It's all just toys and a bit of good fun. I just have bad vibes with threeA. But, It's all good.

It all seems too familiar or desperate to be shocking. As in scale, super large or subject matter - puerile. Sorry. Just tires me out. If something great comes along I'm there, but as of late. Ghost...

I totally agree with you there; I was just defending the AP line because I think the scale can be good, and has been in the past. I can't speak for these upcoming figures, especially since the company has taught us to approach new releases with caution. And to be honest with you, I'm in agreement about the general 'bad vibe'. I got caught up in the excitement around 3AA so I went for the Von Nom (I have never owned a Nom before), but otherwise have used the membership for nothing this year.

I totally agree with you there; I was just defending the AP line because I think the scale can be good, and has been in the past. I can't speak for these upcoming figures, especially since the company has taught us to approach new releases with caution. And to be honest with you, I'm in agreement about the general 'bad vibe'. I got caught up in the excitement around 3AA so I went for the Von Nom (I have never owned a Nom before), but otherwise have used the membership for nothing this year.

Me neither. Kinda sad considering my 'old days' commitment.

Threea just released the new Master 5 figures for pre-order. I might bite on the orange Master 5 don't know yet.

Those Master 5 figures - at a quick glance look almost cool. But once again, a month into owning one of those and it's eBay city. Trying way too hard. And what's with that headsculpt. I'm oldschool and I think the original TK head was elegant and oddly emotionless yet full of expression (and versatile). Also that sculpt loved light. You could do so much with a simple light adjustment - I used to do a lot of ThreeA photography. Crickets.

i feel the same now they dont hold my interest once inhand anymore. just more of the same.

I don't mind the new figures (yes they're derivative), but at $180, no. My biggest disappointment this year with 3A has been the Hunter - they wrecked the color scheme, got rid of the great claw and priced it at a silly $588 ($500 with 3AA discount). Had it been a more sensible $350 prior to discount I might have gone for it even with the Orange paint and the limp club. It'll be interesting to see their prices on the aftermarket.

I don't mind the new figures (yes they're derivative), but at $180, no. My biggest disappointment this year with 3A has been the Hunter - they wrecked the color scheme, got rid of the great claw and priced it at a silly $588 ($500 with 3AA discount). Had it been a more sensible $350 prior to discount I might have gone for it even with the Orange paint and the limp club. It'll be interesting to see their prices on the aftermarket.

Not really up on the business of toy production. I know with my own small works, the sculpting, mould making etc. is super costly and time consuming, - not to mention the engineering and staff (in ThreeA's case). But if ThreeA was actually producing interesting figures and logical continuations (I love the Golden Dolphin but does anyone know what the hell he is supposed to be part of? Originally there was talk of a British friend of Tommy's, then illustrations showed up with him running with DAG and a Zomb - A.D.D. **** for sure) of existing popular lines, they may have been able to bring in some revenue to help bring down the price point on an item like the TK Hunter - which is going to prove to be a dust collecting floppy mess - see WBR Mars - total mistake. Arrogance and Pascha has kind of killed ThreeA for me. I was a total 'Kool aid' drinker for years. And I have to say, there are a lot of unfriendly, nasty 3A collectors these days that I've had the misfortune of dealing with. Most are cool (not like the old days - what ever is?) but that one or seventeen bad apples can really ruin the cart.

Just really starting to find out about Ashley Woods stuff and snagged Saigo 5 before the sale ends. Don't get why they're only up for a day, but I'm sure there's a valid reason. I definitely plan on trying to track down some of the older TK stuff when I have the money. The full 7 bones line would be awesome.

there is no "reason" for the 24 hours other than to feel exculsive (Ashley's whim). The hard part has been delays and QC issues. The old stuff is pretty nice, agreed. I gave up on teh 7 bones awhile back, but still have wasabi. If you are looking for stuff check on the unofficial facebook trading group. 3A stuffs don't hold their value much anymore.

I agree that things are dropping in value, but not as much as you'd think—most things will sell for above retail, just not as far above as some fans would like. Example: I paid about $280 for my Kyuuketsuki slicer and bothead set over eBay late last year, and that was the best price I've seen the figure up for since. Except, it retailed at $150, without the 3AA discount. So anybody who paid $128.50 for that set is still laughing all the way to the bank :wink1:

For people who bought on the aftermarket and don't want to lose money reselling, I can totally understand. But I don't really understand collectors who buy at retail and then want to make a ton of profit on their collection.

agreed. i bought kyuu for 400, and that money will never be matched. when/if i sell it will be at a loss. but it was at the height of 3A "cool" factor for me. All the stuff i've bought since has stayed around retail or dropped in value. maybe one in three increases slightly.
though most of us collect not just for profit but to enjoy the toys... at least i hope that's the point.

Damn, seems like the same sentiment is being expressed in other forums as well. Ive been checking them to see whats been going on with 3A since I havent been on the loop for a while and all i see is peeps pissed at delays, QC issues & re-use of the same molds over and over again. Cant say im too surprised but its indeed a lil sad.

agreed. i bought kyuu for 400, and that money will never be matched. when/if i sell it will be at a loss. but it was at the height of 3A "cool" factor for me. All the stuff i've bought since has stayed around retail or dropped in value. maybe one in three increases slightly.
though most of us collect not just for profit but to enjoy the toys... at least i hope that's the point.

I hope your collection still brings you joy; I have thought of selling the Kyuu set many times but, in the right display, it just looks too cool. There is something to be said for the old designs, or some of them, at least. Comparing to photos of the recent Von De Plume, for example, I have a hard time believing it's the same company.

Damn, seems like the same sentiment is being expressed in other forums as well. Ive been checking them to see whats been going on with 3A since I havent been on the loop for a while and all i see is peeps pissed at delays, QC issues & re-use of the same molds over and over again. Cant say im too surprised but its indeed a lil sad.

People were saying exactly the same stuff when I started collecting last March. I think community has been this way for a while.

Recent positive ThreeA story: my roommate knocked over my THUG suit a few months ago and it fell from the shelf; the figure's leg snapped clean off at the joint. CS just sent it back and told me they managed to replace the old joint with a new one, and I'm looking forward to testing it out in September.

By the way, p!tu—is Pituvision your YouTube channel?

People were saying exactly the same stuff when I started collecting last March. I think community has been this way for a while.
Recent positive ThreeA story: my roommate knocked over my THUG suit a few months ago and it fell from the shelf; the figure's leg snapped clean off at the joint. CS just sent it back and told me they managed to replace the old joint with a new one, and I'm looking forward to testing it out in September.

By the way, p!tu—is Pituvision your YouTube channel?

True i would say the same after year 2 of the company but the difference i see is the lack of commenting. Some of those threads hadnt been replied to in months. But back in the day all those threads were popping with people complaining, people pumped up, etc. It feels like most or meh.

And yes that is my channel!

Back