The 1989 Batman Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1989 Batman Collection

Awesome thread!! Man I forgot all about that cereal!! I had it forever and wouldn't let anyone eat it and then one day when when I was older my mom threw it out!!

I have a full uncut sheet of the trading cards from i think the second series... but i don't have any pics of it, i have various toys and randomness here and there. Original teaser poster and these variations of Batman:

b494.jpg

All of which look like Keaton... :p

M.

awesome pics and a great thread. those action figures were freaking awesome.

Sweet idea for a thread :rock

I love this image... the awful things people would wear back then just blow my mind :lol But to be honest I wanted to get the bat symbol shaved into my head when I was a kid, but my mom would not allow me to be cool :monkey2

Pcbtn.jpg

:lol

Yep, the cereal is long gone. I think it was basically Cap'n Crunch in the shape of a bat. I guess it was supposed to be the Bat Symbol. :lol

I think the best thing about it is that the box has the exact same graphics on the front and back. It looks pretty cool.

I had that same bank... and I think you're right about the cereal being similar to Captain Crunch.

It always made me go WTF as a kid when i looked at the cardbacks of those 89 figures, Batman still having the Super Powers sculpt and same with Joker.This was a great line IMO, i think ToyBiz did a great job on the Keaton Batman figure, not the pointy eared other variants.

man, some serious nostalgia. i wish i could go back to those days. actually i wish the whole world could go back to those days. so much more colourful, simple and fun. i need to find those trading cards. i was thinking about them the other day and panicking about where i stashed them.

anyone remember the game for the amiga? i played this till the floppy disk wore out!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H_loWZS9Jg"]Amiga Longplay [540] Batman The Movie (a) - YouTube[/ame]

Kenner Batman> Toy Biz Batman

Yea but, ToyBiz Batman actually has body armor,correct gaunlets and the correct boots as the Kenner ones did have the boots yet very skinny and a nice cowl but, no body armor unless you got the Bruce to Batman figure which i had and he sucked anyway because his Batarang was molded to his mitt and he came with a lame radio,the cowl looked more like a headdress.

Kenner has Toybiz beat in the vehicle dept though for sure, and human sculpts such as Bruce and Joker were much better.

Amazing thread!! The NES Batman game is still one of my favorite games of all time, and I still play through it every couple of months on my computer.

I only collect Batman-related stuff, and the 1989 movie was what got me into collecting. I have a complete collection of the Toy Biz stuff, the entire Batman: Dark Knight figure and vehicle Collection (except for Knock Out Joker), the complete Ertl car collection, tons of random stuff like birthday decorations, yo-yos, sneakers, etc.

One of my favorite things was actually really cheap at the time. I bought the puzzle of the movie poster, put it together and framed it. It looks so much better than a standard poster and has really stood the age of time. I did the same with the Batman Returns one.

And to share a story about the Batman cereal (I don't still have the box, just the plastic Batman bust bank):

I remember not liking the cereal at all, and it stayed in our cupboard until it grew stale, because as a kid who loved Batman, I didn't want to throw it out. Finally, my mom decided to use it as filler in her meatloaf. She didn't want to tell me, as she knew I'd get upset, so she added it in secret.

Later, as we were eating meatloaf, there were little bat-symbols showing up in every bite. She probably should have broken those up a bit...

Also as a side note, if anyone knows where I can find a set of playing cards from that original WB catalog, please let me know. I've been hunting for those for years now.

Did anyone get those plastic 89 Batman heads that had a screw cap with candy inside?, i had a few growing up like this..i can remember having one of Max Headroom as well.

1243113933.jpg

ca114a.jpg

Yea but, ToyBiz Batman actually has body armor,correct gaunlets and the correct boots as the Kenner ones did have the boots yet very skinny and a nice cowl but, no body armor unless you got the Bruce to Batman figure which i had and he sucked anyway because his Batarang was molded to his mitt and he came with a lame radio,the cowl looked more like a headdress.

What about Shadow Wing and Thunderwhip Batman?

Oh and yeah, I had a candy Joker head and a candy Batman head. Though I don't remember my eyes being painted.

Shadow Wing Batman i never did get because of the arms but, i see now that he has the right gaunlets and body armor and thats pretty cool, Thunderwhip just has the right gaunlets.

A lot of what I have has already been posted by others (thought I might be the only one who kept that WB Store flyer. Damn you, Batty :lol) So here a few quick iPhone pics I just snapped...

Movie novelization audiobook cassette (read by Roddy McDowall!) I have the book as well

The SE tin of the Prince soundtrack. This one I still have sealed.

Bunch of magazines I picked up around the time of the film's release. (To realize just how much more stuff is these days the Official Movie Magazine was only $2.95 in 1989! Today it would be at least $9.99, which incidentally was the price of the Making of Harcover book in '89!)

'89 Batarang I'm working on (unfinished).

Crap, how could I forget the ultimate one...

This one isn't mine (it's a good friend's) but I'm helping build it and will have it on timeshare and drive it myself, so it counts :lol

i have the board game too. surprisingly fun:

51uBOhShubL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[ame="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-BATMAN-THE-GAME/dp/B000UEI2NI/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1315853667&sr=1-1"]BATMAN THE GAME: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games[/ame]

Back