TERMINATOR SALVATION movie discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure we'll be better satisfied with the progression in T5, and T6... more threat, more terminators, etc... I can't see them giving us less. Like what we got during the progression from T1, to T2, and even T3. That scene in T3 with a bunch of Terminators on the ground, HKs in the air, I wish I had a decent, clear large wallpaper to show you.

I'm certain of nothing with future movies, including their existence. I've given my thoughts on the studios and the likely future of this franchise because of the box office numbers for this one, so I won't repeat for a billionth time.

I think the T5-6 story should progress into the all out war of T1-3, but the future of this serious is quite clouded at the moment.

2hogpe9.jpg

I tried to make this by piecing screen caps together. I suck at it though.

Last night after watching this movie, I gave it a 6.5/10. After thinking about the movie I have lowered my score to 4/10. Way too many niggles and editing problems for me to overlook. Also this movie seemed so dumbed down. No explanation about an of the tech used, the audience were meant to just go with the flow.

Also why did Marcus kill his brother and a cop? Why was arnie waiting for connor and why didnt connor look surprised to see him. Just two questions out of lots I could be asking but it snot even worth pondering anymore.

The writers were to blame for this move. At least McG can direct action scenes.

Arnie was waiting for Connor, because Skynet set up the trap. Connor used the tracker thing, and ended up where the T-800 was.

Can anyone remind me what reasons we came up with that Marcus didn't bat an eyelid when Connor mentions that Kyle reese, the teenager, is his dad? And also why in the hell Connor felt the need to divulge such critical information as his parent's names when he believes this machine is there to kill everyone and is possibly relaying everything he says back to Skynet? Way-to-go John you've just set up the events of T1 and T2.

Sorry to bring this up again but I still can't quite believe how no one working on the film thought there might be a problem with that scene.

I'm confused, because in order for this all to happen...the events need to unfold first...correct? Like in the future John Connor is alive and humans are about to make there final attack on skynet and destroy it. But in a last ditch effort the machines send back on machine.

Now I'm confused on how John Connor exists in the future if his father was never sent back yet to make him...

And if it's sknyets last effort before we win and the machine loses, that would be skynet gets defeated in the future as well as destroyed in the past.

But it seems that Skynets plan was not to kill Sarah Connor, but was to get caught in that press...in doing so skynet sets into motion it's own creation, if the terminator's arm and CPU was never salvaged than Cyberdyne would never have started down that path in doing so skynet would never be.

The machine had to fail and get caught or else, skynet would have never existed...because humans would have never gotten the technology to do so.

I have a theory on how this could all have come to pass. There is not a consistant closed loop. It changes with each replay even if the changes are only slight.

Here it is:

There was an original time line. It could be almost identical to the one we are now living in. Sarah has a normal life and meets a normal guy in 1984. She gets pregnant, but the father does a runner. She has a boy that she calls John. She gives him her last name as the father is not around. Time progresses slowly and John lives a normal life.

Far in the future AI is created and time travel is invented. Travelers from this future travel back to the early 1980's with some form of AI technology. This technology falls into hands of Cyberdyne or another similar company that uses it to advance AI faster than the natural progression.

Sarah still meets the same man as before and has the same biological John Connor as before. The unnatural progression of AI technology results in Skynet being created and Judgement day happening on an unknown date, but still while John is a reasonably young man. This John Connor without any knowledge of the future becomes the leader of the human resistance soley on natural fighting and leadership skills. Kyle Reese also ends up under Johns command. And the humans are on the verge of winning the war against the machines either in or around the year 2029.

Skynet devises the time travel plan of sending a terminator back through time to remove John from existance as it believes that if John never existed then it will win the war.

Either by luck or from military inteligence John finds out about the assassination plan that Skynet is formulating. He chooses his best soldier who just happens to be Kyle Reese to go back in time and stop the terminator. He gives Kyle an old photo of Sarah to learn what she looks like around the early 1980's during the lead up to the final assult on Skynet and gain access to the time machine.

Kyle goes back to 1984 and through a series of events and the fact that he shags Sarah, he replaces her original lover. Due to everything that Kyle has told her about John in the future she names her son John Connor even though he is not even the same biological John Connor from before. Also the terminator ends up in the hands of Cyberdyne.

Due to Sarah telling John about the future, who he will be, all the military training and the inevitable creation of Skynet this new John Connor has no choice but to become this leader of mankind, give Kyle an old photo of Sarah and send Kyle back in time to stop the terminator and become his father.

The loop will now stay almost the same from here on. It might have variations, but now that stories of future events and stories about John are being passed from future Kyle too 1984 Sarah too young John it remains almost constant.

I know it's only just a film, but that is how my thought processes get around the fack of John being able to exist either with or without Kyle Reese.

Even though it is not as exciting as T1, but in my theory all the terminator has to do is walk into Cyberdyne headquarters in 1984 and hand him self over as a piece of future technology that can be disasembled and studied. Either the original John or replacement John will still exist and fight the war.

What do you think. A load of rubbish or feesable?

Last edited:
:lol yeah now that you mention it I think he did. I'd have expected more though. It should have been a real WTF moment for him. Also he probably only blinked because Christian spat in his eye!

But he wasn't a real emotional guy in the movie anyway. Maybe because of the programming he got at Skynet.

Maybe the DVD will be extended and will clear a few things up for all of us. I still enjoyed the movie though.

I have a theory on how this could all have come to pass. There is not a consistant closed loop. It changes with each replay even if the changes are only slight.

Its an interesting theory, a good way of trying to address that annoying question of ''but shouldn't John cease to exist if they stop the rise of the machines''.

In your theory, if mankind did actually manage to stop the nuclear war and the machines from coming into existance - rather than T3's "you only postponed it" - presumably the timeline would revert to its natural course with the John Connor who isn't related to Kyle Reese being born?

Its an interesting theory, a good way of trying to address that annoying question of ''but shouldn't John cease to exist if they stop the rise of the machines''.

In your theory, if mankind did actually manage to stop the nuclear war and the machines from coming into existance - rather than T3's "you only postponed it" - presumably the timeline would revert to its natural course with the John Connor who isn't related to Kyle Reese being born?

Yes. I suppose if Sarah and John did actually stop Judgment day it could go back to the original time line in my theory and have that much further in the future creation of AI and time travel. Or it go off into a whole new direction.

just finally caught this. I liked it.
I thought all the actors did a great job , Anton Yelchin was great as Reese.
Sam Worthington done an awesome job as Marcus and Bale... well... he was Bale.

On a whole I think the movie was well done. Some of the action shots were awesome.
The one in the helicopter near the start of the movie was great as were some of the ones with the chase with the moto-terminators.
I still hate that name. :lol

I would of liked Arnold to have been in it more but I understand why he wasn't in it for long. I'll be buying it on bluray. :rock

A solid 7/10 for me.

I saw Bale yesterday on E! at the premiere of Public Enemies and he looks like he's dropped alot of weight. Maybe it's for a part because he does have some awful facial hair going too.

Well, it's out of the theaters in my area already. Damn....I would've liked to have seen it a couple more times on the big screen (yes, I like it that much)...

Wonder how soon it will be before the BR release date is announced? Hope it's an extended version...

Loved it. Loved it almost as much as I love T2. Christian Bale outshined Eddie Furlong as Conner somehow, and I freaking loved Eddie Furlong as the character. Between this, The Prestige, The Machinist, and the Batman movies Christian Bale has become in a three-way tie with Harrison Ford and Jack Black as my favorite actor (how did Jack get in that tie? Well, I'm a huge fan of the D).

I saw Bale yesterday on E! at the premiere of Public Enemies and he looks like he's dropped alot of weight. Maybe it's for a part because he does have some awful facial hair going too.

he couldn't be as skinny as he was here:

Back