Terminator Genisys (July 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QHa8Cs8.gif

Oh, he's THAT ****** from that ****** series. Destined to be forgotten like The Warriors and Streets of Fire.

Even more hate swells now.

Jai wasn't great as Reese, but he wasn't terrible either. He did alright with what he was given. If he was to try and "pretend" to be Michael Biehns' version of Reese that would've been more weird than anything else.

Maybe it's for the best. If any one element of the film was perfect it would make everything else that didn't measure up feel like a terrible shame and a waste of that perfection.

My biggest surprise from this was liking Jason Clarke as John Connor. For some reason I didn't think much of him from the trailers. But he destroyed Bale with a much more rounded performance that gave actual indications of why people would follow him as their leader. Then there was the whole T-Connor thing, uhhh, I'm less sure about how that will hold up on repeat viewings. We'll see.

Likely that hole was: in a smart universe: done to open it up for a sequel, OR -- in a dumb universe: a stupid plot hole that the writer's couldn't fix because of "linear thinking" of the Khev Paradox. :D

I still love you, Khev.

:lol

Okay fine, bail on linear timelines and go with the whole "reverse the whole world so you can co-exist with your past self and somehow not contradict anything" or whatever the hell Chris Reeve did that you think is so appropriate for Terminator. ;) :D

Damn I went and saw the movie again and now I've got over five pages to catch up on? I figured everyone would be done talking about it by now. *begins reading*

Don't you have a family?

Ex-wife now. 10 years. We had a gone run I guess. We split custody of the kids 50/50. So half the time I'm busy being a dad and taking them to AoU and JW, the other half (like tonight) I'm off watching Fury Road or Terminator. This was a Terminator night.

Ex-wife now. 10 years. We had a gone run I guess. We split custody of the kids 50/50. So half the time I'm busy being a dad and taking them to AoU and JW, the other half (like tonight) I'm off watching Fury Road or Terminator. This was a Terminator night.

I'm sorry to hear that. But being single has great advantages.

I didn't think Jai was the disaster I was expecting.

He had a couple of decent emotions.

Plain face and plain face.

Grant it, he's no Shia Labeouf.

Okay, all caught up, I guess it was just big Courtney hate-fest. :lol

Well, yeah, I just felt like seeing it again but was kind of braced for having been "duped" on my first viewing to at least some degree. Nope. Had a blast. This is just a FUN movie. And I've decided 100% that it's just a full reboot. Arnold appearing by the "what the hell" garbage guy is just a sacred cow like Bruce Wayne kneeling in the alley by his dead parents. Having that happen in multiple movies doesn't link them in the same universe. The fact that Taylor literally reshot everything instead of using stock footage a la BTTF II just seals the deal for me.

And I genuinely *like* this reboot. It does indeed feel "MCU-ified" but since the hard hitting original is never going away I'm okay with this new approach. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the 2017 portion this time. For one it really moves. They appear on the freeway, get taken to the hospital, have the big parking garage moment, escape, go to the hideout, bus chase occurs, and so on. And it has a lot of really good moments with JK Simmons, Jason Clarke, even Arnold.

One thing that I couldn't help but feel this time around was that the T-1000 was actually herding Reese to the department store. I love how instead of calling out to him or "he's rabbiting" he just jumps out of the car and takes off after him. But then he seems to pause at just certain moments as if deliberately stalling or letting Reese escape. Of course he doesn't kill Reese when asked the date. Also when Reese shoots him in the alley he kind of crumples like a rag doll and tilts his head down sort of looking vacantly straight ahead. Then as soon as Reese takes off he seems to drop the "possum" thing and his eyes instantly move (even while his head is still mangled) to track Reese as he runs.

Inside the store he quickly and quietly stabs the one cop but then does kind of a wild horizontal swing at Reese. Why not be more lethal?

I wonder if Pops melting the T-800 threw a monkey wrench into Skynet's plans by not allowing Cyberdyne and Dyson to get a hold of it. Maybe T-1000 was supposed to engage Reese and herd him to Pops and Sarah simply so that he could retrieve the metal carcass and get it to Dyson. I don't know, just a thought.

He was really great though. I *loved* how he just showed no emotion, ever. Even before he fell into the steel Patrick would be a bit expressive, even going full "WTF?" when his arm broke right before "Hasta la vista baby." But each time Lee T-1000 got shot. Nothing. Being melted by acid from above? Nothing. Just kept walking in pieces. Held by Arnold for the final melting? Again, NOTHING. It made him seem like an animated doll out of a freaky ghost story or something. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Loved the future war again. The editing of the attack with "Arnold" walking toward the time chamber was just awesome. And I just couldn't help but geeking out at seeing naked 1984 Arnold (and with the shadows and things it really *did* look like him!) walking into the time machine and instead of rising from a dirty crater kneeling down in a super high tech metal time displacement chamber. SO cool to see the flip side of that journey. I had to smile, it was like watching some impossible deleted scene from the original movie.

I found myself liking Reese less when he met up with Sarah and Pops. Probably his weakest part of the movie. He just comes off as an idiot and I can't believe they made a version of Kyle Reese that I *wanted* to see knocked out by a Terminator. Well done Courtney, that was quite the feat. :lol

But somehow, crazily, as before I grew to be fine with him as the film progressed to the point where when it ended I actually thought he was okay again.

And to a-dev: The little machine sound when Pops does the monkey smile is very quiet and much shorter than the noise in the trailer. It's there, but so quick. Not having the sound so in your face does lend the scene to just being somewhat quick and inoffensive.

But one thing that I pondered was that:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Just got back from seeing it.
Love it. It was fast-paced, entertaining, and not too long.
Would have liked to see someone else as Reese. Never liked J....

I really enjoyed Genisys. Id give it a solid B, could be a + or - on repeat viewings but I'm sticking with that.

To start, T2 is in my top 3 movies of all time, and I'm a huge sucker for this franchise. Wether its Hot Toys figures, video games or comics, I am a Terminator Fan! Obviously Cameron's work is legendary, and nothing will ever top it and I'm perfectly fine with that.

T3 has some very cool moment, some very bad ones too. I enjoyed the TV series. I actually really enjoyed Salvation as well, clearly not perfect but I enjoyed it.

So going into Genisys I was optimistic. Im just happy to see a Terminator movie, especially one with Arnold. The beginning stuff is very good, some series best stuff going on and I was so excited watching the 1984 stuff. When it goes to 2017 it definitely changes tone sort of but it becomes its own story and its pretty engaging.

A lot of stuff is left open ended and in the end its kind of fluffed together, but so many big movies are like this now. Perhaps I have just accepted it, or I don't feel like complaining about it :lol . However, I hope they make a sequel! This is a definite blu ray pick up for me as well.

Loved the future war again. The editing of the attack with "Arnold" walking toward the time chamber was just awesome. And I just couldn't help but geeking out at seeing naked 1984 Arnold (and with the shadows and things it really *did* look like him!) walking into the time machine and instead of rising from a dirty crater kneeling down in a super high tech metal time displacement chamber. SO cool to see the flip side of that journey. I had to smile, it was like watching some impossible deleted scene from the original movie.

I found myself liking Reese less when he met up with Sarah and Pops. Probably his weakest part of the movie. He just comes off as an idiot and I can't believe they made a version of Kyle Reese that I *wanted* to see knocked out by a Terminator. Well done Courtney, that was quite the feat. :lol

But somehow, crazily, as before I grew to be fine with him as the film progressed to the point where when it ended I actually thought he was okay again.

And to a-dev: The little machine sound when Pops does the monkey smile is very quiet and much shorter than the noise in the trailer. It's there, but so quick. Not having the sound so in your face does lend the scene to just being somewhat quick and inoffensive.

But one thing that I pondered was that:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Definitely had the same thought when naked Arnold knelt down in the Time Displacement machine. I don't think you got a full-on shot of his face but you caught his eyes over his shoulder at one point and it was dead-on perfect. I think you nailed the feeling - like seeing an impossible deleted scene from T1 - that was very exciting.

I kinda like your idea in the spoiler tags. Still not sure I'm on board

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back