Terminator Genisys (July 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Terminator: Genesis (July 1st, 2015)

I still rewatch episodes like 'Dungeons and Dragons', 'Goodbye To All That' and 'Mr. Ferguson Is Ill Today'.

I remember the shock I was in when Derek was killed.

I'm not sure a major character has ever been killed off quite like that in other shows. No build up of any kind, shot dead, cut to other characters. It really was shocking. Of course he was going to reappear in the future-based scenes.

It's tough to get excited when we're coming off T3 and Salvation though. Especially how Arnold was handled in T3. Why would he be better now 10 years later?

I don't really expect he'll be any better than T3. In fact I expect a repeat of the T3 performance, but y'know **** it. The franchise is dead anyway as far as worthwhile stories to be told. T4's failure killed any hope of the future war being done.

I'm genuinely curious. Why are some of you guys excited for this? What are you hoping that this movie will provide that won't be accomplished by simply rewatching T1 or T2?

I want Arnie to have another hit I guess. Can't help but love the man. Maybe there'll be some cool Hot Toys figures to come out of it which I will pretend are based on a great film.

Good, honest question. I feel like until Arnold dies, they are just going to try to forcibly write him into these movies and we won't go anywhere new or interesting.

Salvation was as close as we've come to a real, interesting Terminator follow up (I'm including T2), blown only by the stupid heart transplant ending. I would have liked to have seen that direction into the Cameron future vision from T1 followed up on in a sequel. Bringing it back to modern day and retelling Sarah's story is straight up stupid.

It was more than just the heart transplant. I never really liked the Marcus Wright part of the story or John Connor telling everyone under the sun that Kyle Reese was his dad, the absurdly overpowered T-800 at the end etc etc

Some new set pictures!
5y4e6yze.jpg
ezu9uded.jpg

Bri

So....Emilia Clarke is 27. I'm presuming she's playing Sarah Connor at that age or younger (since they typically don't cast women to play older than their age). If Kyle Reese is there it surely has to be 1984. So where's the eighties hair? Are they deleting it from canon?!

I guess it could be after 1984 if they're changing events such that Kyle Reese survives and has time for a haircut himself. Still, given Emilia Clarke's age and Linda Hamilton's Sarah being 29 in T2 which is set in 1995 - this film would be set in 1993 at the latest.

Last edited:

I'm not expecting much from this movie, but Arnold taking what will likely be his last turn in his signature role garners at least some excitement from me. T1 and T2 are great films, but I've seen them both a million times, I've gotten about all I can out of them.

Why couldn't they make a film covering the future war and have it specifically about Connor and Reese's mission to capture the Time Displacement Machine? Other than a few minutes in the SCC we've never seen what the thing looks like, but just to see this building that holds it all and the them going through a do-or-die mission rather than re-heating T1, T2 and T3.

Studios would rather recycle old film plot lines than take a chance.

I've enjoyed action films since the early 80s. I like Arnold. I've enjoyed the Terminator series so I'm looking fwd to another film. It may be terrible or good, but I'll judge it when i see it. Rewatching the same films can het tiresome after 20 years so a new film to add to the story is welcome. On the fip side, why do so many enjoy ripping everything to shreds before they even see it? Why is attacking everything so much fun?

So you just like the "universe" so much that you want new stuff even if it's superfluous or subpar? If that's actually the case then I can understand it. I certainly have my own favorite characters that I just like seeing in action regardless of the storytelling context. I've just always felt that the Terminator films, despite their gritty action, have been more story driven to the point that I don't want endless junk I just want a tight cohesive narrative. A true beginning, middle, and end rather than an episodic "I'll get you next time John Connor!!!" But I realize that my take on the series likely isn't the norm.

The time travel stuff should have been stopped after T1 and T2. You just know that this one is going to take a page out of the Sarah Connor Chronicles playbook and have some crazy time travel **** where they jump through different parts of time like it's nothing.

The only film/story that's left that I'm interested in is the Future events that led us to T1 and T2. So John, "the great military warrior", Judgement Day, storming the fences of the camp, finding Reese, the war, Skynet, sending Reese and Uncle Bob back in time, etc. Maybe even a few twists and turns that the audiences wouldn't expect with the time travel scenarios (or the "alternate John Connor" paradox we've discussed in the past). Something.

I guess T3 and Salvation were "close" to that Future stuff (especially Salvation), but they missed the marks completely as far as Judgment Day goes. Skynet in those movies sucked, the world post-Judgment Day looked nothing like Cameron's vision of the grim, dark world that experienced a nuclear winter and then you have unnecessary things like Marcus Wright that's just stupid.

So you just like the "universe" so much that you want new stuff even if it's superfluous or subpar? If that's actually the case then I can understand it. I certainly have my own favorite characters that I just like seeing in action regardless of the storytelling context. I've just always felt that the Terminator films, despite their gritty action, have been more story driven to the point that I don't want endless junk I just want a tight cohesive narrative. A true beginning, middle, and end rather than an episodic "I'll get you next time John Connor!!!" But I realize that my take on the series likely isn't the norm.

The issue I have is that you've already determined that it's going to be subpar before you've seen a single second of it. It very well may end up being terrible, but it may not and if it's good then yes, I'm thrilled to have an addition to the story I enjoy. The point is I'm willing to give it a chance to see if it's good or if it sucks because I like the universe.

The issue I have is that you've already determined that it's going to be subpar before you've seen a single second of it.

Incorrect. What I've determined is that "another" Terminator film featuring time-travel to the present is completely unnecessary and is more likely to hurt the current narrative than help it. If it turns out to be awesome then great. I didn't think ASM2 or DOFP would be that good and I turned out to love them both. If it looks cool and is cool then I'll enjoy it and praise it. But I see no reason to be anything more than completely neutral in enthusiasm at this point in time. I was just curious as to why some of you were genuinely excited.

I can understand being hopeful, but excited? That's a surprise, especially since we've had four Terminator films now and each sequel has literally been worse than the previous film. Doesn't bode well for "Genesis" if that trend continues.

I think we can all at least agree that every non-Cameron Terminator film has been worse than the previous. So if Genesis turns out worse than Salvation? Yikes.

Dr. Silberman better have a cameo!

Incorrect. What I've determined is that "another" Terminator film featuring time-travel to the present is completely unnecessary .

And that's called an opinion stated like it's a fact. We all have opinions and that's fine, but It's not up to a single fan or ever a group of fans to decide what is and isn't needed. The studio will make what it wants and the free market will decide if they want to watch it or not. It's like people who commemt on a TV show with "I'm so glad this was canceled, it needed to be"......really? Says you? If you don't like something fine don't watch it, but why do so many feel the need to pay negative attention to something they don't like in the first place? I'm not accusing you personally of that here because you like T1 and 2, but still if you have bad feelings about what this will be then just avoid it.

I simply asked why people are excited about this movie based on the information that has already been released. If you want to answer then answer, if not, then don't. I never said, "I don't like Terminator Genesis." I have no idea if it will be good or not. I consider it unnecessary and recognize it as fifth in a series of films that has been steadily diminishing in quality with each new entry. Whether that means that T:G will follow suit remains to be seen. Relax.

So it looks like the 'Arnold trying to rock the leather' look has been dropped or hopefully limited to a very small amount of screen time. :yess:

Retire them leathers to the Blue Oyster Bar big man. :lecture

The lack of leathers alone gave me some intrigue in this film. I'm still over 50% sure it'll be crap but of course I'll watch it to find out for sure one way or another.

Also on Khev's point about each Terminator film being worse than the last. Obviously he knows I don't agree on T2, but I also think T4 was better than T3 so I can't really subscribe to that point. That said, T4 being better than T3 is hardly much praise at all.

Back